Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EEA Fly-In Oshkosh WI

As a Private Pilot (who loves aviation but not flown for many years) I've always wanted to attend this event and wondering if any forum members have done so with their Motorhome?
Your insight/experiences would be welcomed.
Thanks

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was there in 2007, 2008, "Splosh Kosh" 2010 and in 2011 with my RV. Always a fun event. The night airshow on Saturday is a must see event.

2010 it rained so much that they stopped all class A Motorhomes from entering Camp Shuller. All of the heavy rigs were getting stuck. They put a bunch of rigs in the mall parking lot and supplied shuttle buses. They have worked on the Camp a lot since then. They are improving the gravel roads so that they do not rut so much.
The have added electric sites too but always sell out. They have 8 dump stations so the line is quick. I dump at night so there is no line. 40,000 people camping in one area is fun, we met some good people. The bath houses are good with electric stations outside to charge phones and laptops. Bring a bike or take the bus. Good free WiFi throughout the campground. They have 2 camp stores to buy ice.

Don,t arrive on Sunday afternoon unless your ready to wait in a long line. Pre-pay and cut in line.

I'll be there in 2013. Can't wait.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mgscott4......awesome info...thanks
A couple questions....
Do you have to be a member of the EAA to stay in Camp Shuller?
"Bring a bike"....Is this event so big that walking is out of the question?
Thanks
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, you do have to be a member of EAA to camp there. It is $40 to become a member. You can join at the gate when you get there. It also saves you money on your weekly ticket.

Yes, you need a bike. Unless you get there in June, when the campground opens you can not get a close site. The next closest are reserved for EAA clubs and high dollar rental trailers. Then you get to everyone else. But they have a good bus service that keeps circling the campground. They have a 3 day minimum for camping, You pay for all 7 days then you can get a refund if you leave early. That way they don't have to worry about who paid for what days.

Be prepared to walk. This place is huge, over a mile from end to end. No bikes allowed inside the event. They have a bike corral with at least 1000 bikes parked at the gate at the campground entrance. They have 700,000 attend during the week. 12,000 airplanes to look at. 8 air shows. They have 3 trams inside the event to get you around. Red (North), Yellow (central) and Blue (South) So you can go from one end to the other fairly quick. A week is barely enough time to see everything.

My typical day consisted of going to one section at 8:00 and maybe take in a seminar. then back to the RV for lunch. Grill eat nap until 2-3 oclock then out to the flightline for the daily airshow, Bring you own chair. Then back to the RV for dinner. Then chill in the RV or catch a show or movie on site that evening. They have a 6 story inflatable outdoor movie screen free popcorn bring your chair, meet the actor or director, Met John Travolta, George Lucas, Gary Sinese, Jeff dunham, Sully Sulinberger, Carol Shelby, Jack Roush, Jim Lovett, Both Burtan brothers, and more.

Get there for the free concert on Monday after the airshow, I have seen Beach Boys, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner,.

I am ready, lets go. Oh no have to wait 7 months.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I will only repeat it is a great time, bring your bike plan on walking a lot.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
One of the very finest events I ever attended, think was 1985 & 1986, anyway I flew my PA28R-200 in, camped in the North 40, against the fence at the war bird area. First thing you need is a very comfy pair of shoes for walking, you walk miles the see much, the head, showers, chow spots, the midfield is another 1/4 mile further, that is the first half. Lots of fun if your a youngster.

The second trip was in the MC7, parked/camped in the pasture ver close to the tower (mid field), so a lot less walking for anything in any direction, did not walk to the North 40 CG (airplane parking area).

It is truely amazing to see, smell, watch and listen to so much, nearly 24 hrs of air traffic, non stop. You will sleep very well after a day roaming the flight line and of course the hanger flying...

I was able to meet and chat with Greg "Pappy" Boyington, he was sellng his book "Ba BA Black Sheep", and then about 50' down the line was a Jap selling hisbook "BYe Bye Black SHeep", he is the guy who shot Pappy down. Where else are you going to run into that class, not to mention all the names you see on TV, the Rags such as Paul Harvey, Chuck Yeager etc, non stop folks and planes.

Sorry for the long winded fingers

Merry Christmas

Dave M
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

I flew in every year for quite a while, camping under the wing of the plane for a few days. Had our share of "wet" and "wind" stories to tell as well...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the fact that show "first timers" are very easy to spot in the crowds! They're the ones walking around with thier mouths open..... awestruck! The veterans will be the ones just grinning from ear to ear?

Haven't been there in an RV yet. That trip is overdue, on the short list! -Al
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great fun. Yes, bring your best walking shoes and a bike to get you from your campsite to the event gate. There is something to do or see literaly from sun up to well past dark (they even have an outdoor movie theater with a huge screen). The last couple times I was there I was in the 24 hour generator area and was lucky to have no issues. While the access "roads" to the unmarked grass sites have been improved, a very wet year can still present a problem, especially for big rigs. Park near one of the shower/rest room buildings and you may not have to dump during the event.

It's a show everyone should see at least once, pilot or not. Back in the 80's my best buddy and I would get there a couple days before the official opening and take our lawn chairs down to the flight line, watching those arriving by airplane, listening to the tower on radio. You won't believe how many aircraft they'll get on the ground and parked in a short period of time, they are very organized, and many of the landings can be very entertaining.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Great fun. Yes, bring your best walking shoes and a bike to get you from your campsite to the event gate. There is something to do or see literaly from sun up to well past dark (they even have an outdoor movie theater with a huge screen). The last couple times I was there I was in the 24 hour generator area and was lucky to have no issues. While the access "roads" to the unmarked grass sites have been improved, a very wet year can still present a problem, especially for big rigs. Park near one of the shower/rest room buildings and you may not have to dump during the event.

It's a show everyone should see at least once, pilot or not. Back in the 80's my best buddy and I would get there a couple days before the official opening and take our lawn chairs down to the flight line, watching those arriving by airplane, listening to the tower on radio. You won't believe how many aircraft they'll get on the ground and parked in a short period of time, they are very organized, and many of the landings can be very entertaining.
Amen! If you're flying in with a lighter plane, on the main runways during busier times, they're dividing them into quarters (left, right, then "land short" or "land long") and landing 4 planes at a time on them! Plenty of room actually, it's the thought that's so spooky.

Guys that haven't been flying/practicing enough or don't know their planes very well (for whatever reason), are mixing in with the crowd that have been/do know what they're doing, and get all kinds of nervous/spooked over this - and the fact there's no communication with the tower at all. Starting about 10 miles away from the field, you fly at a speed to maintain your place in line (often very slow!) and acknowledge any communication directed at you by rocking your wings! Exciting even for the best pilots! If you want to camp with your plane at Oshkosh, this is the way you must do it!

What's amazing is that this works so well. It really is a wonder there aren't many more accidents....