Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Good Sam Caravan to Alaska

Not sure where to post this, but, I was wondering if anyone is going on the June 22nd Caravan. We are leaving from the Hudson Valley area in New York and meeting the caravan at Dawson's Creek.

Anybody else doing this? Has anybody traveled like this? Tell me about it.

OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That sounds amazing!! Would love to hear about anyone who has done this. Someday I would like to. Always wanted to visit Alaska............

Sheila

PS~ love your description of a Yorkie

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok .... Ill give you the short version.
One ...GO TO ALASKA......
Two.. I have been to Alaska three times and we are going back this summer. We have never did Alaska in a caravan but it looks like it would be great fun. We have camped in campgrounds with caravan people and they look like they are having a wonderful time. We have did a caravan along the Eastern Seaboard and loved it. The advantage of a caravan is that they make all the arrangements for entertainment and camping. they already know all the ''good stuff'' and they can ''hand hold you'' and be sure you have a good time. They hit all the high spots and you have the ''security'' of a group instead of just being on your own. (if you meet a Grizz bear it a good bet someone can't run as fast as you).....lol..... Im teasing...
The ''down side'' of a caravan is that you are scheduled to be at a certain place at a certain time....... This is good and bad at the same time. I would strongly suggest a caravan for first timers to Alaska. I would then strongly suggest that the ''second time'' you should go it on your own. Set your own schedule or have no schedule at all. Boondock along the Alaska highway. Go fishing at Muncho Lake. Fish for salmon in Valdez. Get drunk at '''Gold tooth Gurties in Dawson city''.
Here is something to remember. Dawson Creek is the jumping off point for the Alaska highway. About everyone you meet is either ''GOING UP'' or ''COMING BACK'' to Alaska. It is simple to ''buddy up'' with a like minded couple and travel together going up to Alaska. Discuss your itinerary with them and you will usually find a fellow camper that has about the same thing in mind as you do and you can travel together and enjoy the road. (check if one of them cant run very fast in case you find a Grizz bear along the way) .........lol.......... IM TEASING AGAIN.......
The most important thing is to GO SLOW AND ENJOY THE JOURNEY. Stop and look, smell the flowers and fish the streams, watch out for moose and see a bear diging grubs from a rotten log, listen to the silence and discover air that has not been ''breathed'' before. (it smells funny).......
the last time we drove up to Alaska we took 4 months from NC. We stayed ''in state'' for about 6 weeks and remember this ...
things are more expensive in Alaska and along the Alcan. Gas and food cost more so be prepared. Dont whine about bananas at 99 cents a pound and milk for 4.50 a gallon. Just pay the ''toll'' and enjoy the trip.
GO TO ALASKA. It is the last place you can see the earth like God made it to start with. If you dont enjoy Alaska let me know and I will send you ten cents for your troubles.
Seajay the sailor man
ps. Take lots of movies and CD's or tapes for your tape deck .... Most of the time you will not get TV or even a radio station...... Better idea..... DONT TAKE THE MOVIES... go outside and look at Gods handy work. that is the best ''movie'' in town anyway .................
note. I just went to the websight and checked out the tour destinations. They hit all the ''good stuff'' for sure. I would suggest for a ''first timer'' to take this or some caravan and leave the ''problems'' to them and you enjoy the journey. I believe they have a ''designated''' slow runner on staff........ lol.....
Old 04-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. We normally travel on our own and this will be the first time we have traveled with anyone else. Now I feel a little better about doing it.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #5

Does anyone know how DishTV and Sirius radio reception are? Hope not to have time to watch any tv but know I want to hear music.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
Does anyone know how DishTV and Sirius radio reception are? Hope not to have time to watch any tv but know I want to hear music.
When we went up in 05, we got to Whitehorse and that was the end of our Dish reception. In Whitehorse, our Dish was pointed mostly at the ground. A guy told me that the satellite for Dish were mostly below the horizon. I do not know about the Sirius radio thing.
Here is a suggestion..........
Take a DVD player and lots of movies if you must have that sort of entertainment and take a load of CD's for music. You fill find lots of places along the Alaska Highway that you will not get a radio station. Most of the towns will have local radio but that only reaches out maybe twenty miles or so.
You didnt ask but I strongly recommend boondocking on the Alaska Highway. It is really fun and totally legal and perfectly safe so long as you dont leave food outside to attract mr Bear. One more thing .....
The greatest entertainment you will have on the trip is the TRIP ITS SELF. Just look out your windshield and go slow.......
ENJOY .....
Seajay the sailor man.....
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe....
God bless our vets ........ALL GAVE SOME ...... SOME GAVE ALL .....
Another note..... have your shot records up to date on our pets. They probably will not check them but have them just the same ....
We also have a Yorkie, three pounds of terror, trained gorilla killer and she will attack a potato chip without hesitation. She dominates our two Papillons....
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #7

Unfortunately you won't be able to get Sirus either.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

I am now on my way back. Currently just north of Jasper, Alberta. We received at least 2 of the 3 satellites that Dish TV has. Anybody with a dome is sol because it cannot point down. Ours is a Winegard Traveler and it receved except when in trees.

As far as Sirius, except for a few locations, received it most of the time.