Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hurricane Irma Evacuation...community support.

I just wanted to share...the phenomenal support those of us fleeing South Florida for Hurricane Irma have been blessed to recieve the past so many days.

We shuttered our home and headed to the confluence of I-10 and I-75... where we stayed a night at Stephen Foster State Park. The staff was very accommodating, our one night stay was free...for evacuees.

The next day we decided to head west on I-10. As we approached Tallahassee...we called a local "big rig friendly" campground to ask about openings. They were completely booked. A few minutes later...they called us back, presumably from caller ID. They told us about the local Fairgrounds opening to evacuees. Beautiful facilities...$30 per night, with 50A & water...in a very nicely cut and Level field.

We then left to head west to further avoid the storm, as it continued to redirect further to the west. We went to another Fairground in Pensacola. $20 per night...50A, water, and grey water dumping in select areas. Again...the most accommodating hosts imaginable.

Because of the uneasy feeling about forecasts...a bunch of us decided to keep heading west. This time to Mobile, Alabama. The fairgrounds welcomed us with open arms. Single phase - 50A, water, sewer...and with that we were ecstatic. But they offered this to us for free. Woah...over and beyond. I am so humbled by the love and support we received upon our arrival to the Mobile community. But it just didn't stop at that. The local community set up a dining hall and fed everyone. They distributed flats of drinking water, blankets, etc...to anyone willing to return home to distribute these items to those in need.

I already love being a member of the RVing community. But it's when times get a little tough...you realize...there are truly, and I mean truly! Beautiful, wonderful, giving, caring human beings out there supporting us in our quest to flee from a potentially devastating event. I am beyond humbled by the outpouring of support from these communities. I cannot begin to express our gratitude.

The Mobile, Alabama community had gone to Houston to help those in need...and welcomed us in thier community as evacuees. They also had plans to journey toward Florida to assist with recovery after Irma passed. They are not strangers to the effects of Hurricanes. They...better than most...understand the stress of leaving home, unknowing of what might lie ahead.

My heart is about to burst. I often fail to see how loving and kind people can be toward one another. This experience has totally renewed my faith in human nature. I cannot adequately express the joy I have experienced as a result of the hospitality, understanding, and fellowship bestowed upon us during this journey.

I just want to acknowledge those that go way above and beyond to help others in need. People really go to extremes to help others...and it humbles me to no end.

While I do not wish a natural disaster upon anyone,,,I do wish that everyone could, at one point in thier life, feel the outpouring of love and support from others --- total strangers --- it is a truly amazing feeling.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! All of those that made this journey possible...and welcomed us with open arms...you will forever be remembered for your generosity!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thx for posting...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane