Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #1

I am new to this website and was wondering if anyone had any experience about going to Lowes Motorspeedway....as usual the infield is sold out and referred me to the Fleetwood RV park next to it. Has anyone ever been there? Looks nice on the website but doesn's really tell me how long of a walk it is to the track etc. I would appreciate any help!! Trying to go to Charlotte for the first time!!!
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

I am new to this website and was wondering if anyone had any experience about going to Lowes Motorspeedway....as usual the infield is sold out and referred me to the Fleetwood RV park next to it. Has anyone ever been there? Looks nice on the website but doesn's really tell me how long of a walk it is to the track etc. I would appreciate any help!! Trying to go to Charlotte for the first time!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #3

The campground is only a short walk (as the crow flies) to the speedway. BTW several of the parking lots are even farther that the CG. If I were going to go I would call early since it is the only CG with hookups in the area that I am aware of. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:57 AM   #4

Good luck getting into Fleetwood. I understand it books up a year in advance. If you do, the gods must be on your side.

One campground I would stay clear of is Rock City. It is a dry lot across the street from Fleetwood. I think of Rock City as "The Party Zone".

I do have to say Lowes has some good campground services. Trash is picked up daily and Ice, Water, and Honey Dippers are available at resonable prices.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #5

Thank you both for that information...anyone going to the Oct. Talladega race? I had a great experience staying at the Talladega RV Park next to the track. The family is nice and the spaces are...well...very spacious. 40x60! Just thought I would mention this good experience that we had there..
Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #6

We had some friends go to Talladega last year and they told us the samething.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #7

There are actually 5 campgrounds total at Lowes/Charlotte that are controlled by the speedway. 4 of the campgrounds do not have any hook ups. They are Rock City, located on Speedway Blvd gate "Z". "C" campground located outside turns 3 & 4. Morehead Farms, located on Morehead Rd, also accessible from a service road behind the speedway. And Peninsula, located behind the back stretch, accessible from the service road behind the speedway. These sites are supposely 20' X 50'and cost $75.00 per week. There is water available at the dumping station located beside the full service campground (Fleetwood) and the other bathhouse located near the "C" campground.
There are honey wagons that will pump your holding tanks for $25.00, and water trucks that charge $20.00 for 40 gallons. There is the full service campground Fleetwood which is also located on Speedway Blvd, beside the Tom Johnson Camping Center. This runs about $400.00 a week if any spots are available. All camping on speedway property can be obtained in advance through the Fleetwood campground office. Ann Robinson was the manager, unknown if she is now. The track has shuttles to & from the campgrounds they control. I must admit it is easier to the track than from the track.
There is the full service campground which is inside the mobile home park, across from the speedway behind the souvenir trailers. I cannot help with the name or phone number there, sorry. There is also a private owner campground (no hook ups) on Morehead Rd across from the condo's in turns 1 & 2, can't help with the name or number there either.
Rock City is 1 mile from the speedway entrance, Morehead, is about the same to the back stretch. Peninsula is 1/4 to 1/2 from the backstretch.
That said I have camped at Lowes/Charlotte for over 22 years, and now stay at Rock City. We have been there for 6 years. Just remember you are at a race track, not a resort. The owners want as many units in as small a space as possible. I hope the info helps.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My wife and I stayed in the Morehead Farms camping area the one time we went to Lowe's. I had a Dodge Ram 1500 2wd and a 30 Ft. Mallard TT at the time. It had rained a lot before we got there. Our reserved space was up hill in that red mud that they have there. There was no way that I could get up to our space so thanks to a nice person with a 4wd our TT was put on our space for us. I did manage to get the truck up there by itself. We had a good time and it got dry and a little dusty by Sunday night when the 600 was over. We spent the night and were going to leave on Monday morning. I told my wife that we would not have any trouble getting out on monday morning, but I did not count on the heavy thunder storm that came at 6 that morning. I could not move the TT so another nice person came and towed the truck and TT out and got me heading down hill so I could get out. My wife said we would not be going back ther unless we got a 4wd truck. We did trade trucks, but it is not a 4wd so we have not been back to camp there.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:35 AM   #9

Thank you wa4slc and Dawg...I am on a list and might be called from what I was told...we would love to try some other park other than the Fleetwood park but you mentioned mud...and for right now, if we can get a paved site, we'll go for it!! 39ft Discovery--
Old 03-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #10

I asked my sister in law to go to the Fleewood office the day the Fleetwood opened to the public, Feb. 15 or 16, for the May race for reservations. We stayed there last year and loved it. They said the area we stayed in last year was bought up by corporations. We are in space 20 and 21 in a lower level farther from the track. We are on a waiting list to move up closer to the track. It looks like it is going to be a tricky deal to get Fleetwood camping from now on. Last year seemed easier by far, and the price is, to us, going out of sight. The space was $525 for the week.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #11

dsdp, seems like you make it to a few races..what other races would you suggest going to?? As far as places to accomodate the big motorhomes?? Would love to finally make it to an infield space but I guess those tickets have to be left in a will or something!!lol...that would be the best for us to take our son to a race for the first time...he could go in and out of the motorhome to watch the race etc...
Old 03-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #12

Heady,
We could help pretty well with information and even a VIP camping space at Texas (we have two), but we know mostly from first hand experience about Texas, Daytona, Homestead, Charlotte and Talladaga. At Texas we own two VIP Camping spaces with full hookups. We thought at the time we wanted more room, but are willing to sublet next to us for $500 for the April and $500 for the November race (for the week). We have a 40 footer and you would fit next to our coach 'cause we have room to accomodate by moving over slightly toward an end isle. If you are interested in Texas PM me at pledbetter@houston.rr.com. Or if you need information on the place we stay at Daytona the Pepsi 400 in July is a super great race. You could stay there in the infield they have redone the infield on Lake Lloyd and I hear it is awesome. At Texas, we may even have two or three tickets in PSL seating next to us as it gets closer to the race. If interest, just let me know.