Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Martinsville NASCAR race

We are headed to Martinsville this weekend. Anyone else going?

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to watch it close up on my 46" LED 6' from the couch.
When the race is over I will already be home.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Going to Martinsville

We are heading down after work on Friday. We will probably stop for a few hours at a Flying J or WalMart and get to the track early on Saturday. We have been to races at Martinsville before but always stayed in a hotel. This will be our first time with our motorhome. We aren't sure if we should camp at the track's campground or one of the many private homes surrounding the track. Do you have any recommendations?
Camp Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

Lucky you! Going to Michigan in June to get my Nascar fix.....
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Monty View Post
We are heading down after work on Friday. We will probably stop for a few hours at a Flying J or WalMart and get to the track early on Saturday. We have been to races at Martinsville before but always stayed in a hotel. This will be our first time with our motorhome. We aren't sure if we should camp at the track's campground or one of the many private homes surrounding the track. Do you have any recommendations?
The first time we went, we camped at the track's unreserved facility. That place is so hilly that you have to really build up the blocks to level a trailer, not sure how high you can make a MH. Since that time we have always camped in their reserved sites which are pretty much level and there are a lot of MHs there. Being flat is the good news. These sites are at the bottom of two big hills so if it rains, guess where all the water goes. I have a TT with a 4wd truck. Last spring it was very wet and a number of MHs had to be pulled out of their sites about 20 yards to the road. The sites are also pretty narrow.

Having said all that, I really do like camping there. We can walk to the track and you really get the NASCAR feel there, both good and bad.

If I had a motor home I would probably not try to put it on the side of a hill. If I could get one of the reserved spots I would do that and hope that it's not too wet and muddy. The weather channel is saying Thursday and Friday could be a little wet but Saturday and Sunday should be ok. If I couldn't get reserved and had the ability to look outside the track I might do that. As I drive by those outside sites, I just don't get the same feeling as being in the middle of the campers...that could be the good or bad news.

I hope this helps
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
One more thing. I just noticed you won't get there till Saturday. Since 90% of the campers will already be there I definitely would not go unreserved. If you want to sure your level and not muddy, camp in a parking lot. I still would camp reserved only if I could get a site.

If you end up at the reserved area, swing by for a beer we will be in 1367.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Warren View Post
One more thing. I just noticed you won't get there till Saturday. Since 90% of the campers will already be there I definitely would not go unreserved. If you want to sure your level and not muddy, camp in a parking lot. I still would camp reserved only if I could get a site.

If you end up at the reserved area, swing by for a beer we will be in 1367.
Thanks for all the info. We had the same concerns with the unreserved camping due to getting there so late in the week. I know there are a few local businesses that use their parking lots for MHs that we will probably check out. While it won't be the same as being in middle of it all, it beats getting stuck in the mud!

No matter where we end up we will be sure to stop by and say hello.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Lucky you! Going to Michigan in June to get my Nascar fix.....
We will be at the June Michigan race as well. We are camping in Brookfest Acres site M25. Stop by and say hello.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We just got back from Fontana, it was a blast on the infield - don't know if we could handle consecutive weekends! WooHoo! Don in Tucson
dbaer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. We had the same concerns with the unreserved camping due to getting there so late in the week. I know there are a few local businesses that use their parking lots for MHs that we will probably check out. While it won't be the same as being in middle of it all, it beats getting stuck in the mud!

No matter where we end up we will be sure to stop by and say hello.

I hope you do. We will be at site 1367 in an Outback TT flying an American and Navy flag...easy to spot.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Warren, We will not be at the spring race but will see you at the fall race!
Jim
Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlakegaston View Post
Hey Warren, We will not be at the spring race but will see you at the fall race!
Jim

Sounds good Jim. Hope to see you then.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
We will be at the June Michigan race as well. We are camping in Brookfest Acres site M25. Stop by and say hello.
We are reserved at the Turn 2 Retreat. We usually always go to New Hampshire for the September Sprint Cup race so are mixing it up a bit this year and give Michigan a try. Same price but we get electricity and water!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace