Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #1

NASCAR Troubles??

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/nov/10/widespre...ssional-auto-racing/

Widespread job cuts expected in NASCAR

Automakers' struggles are likely to spell trouble for many stock-car teams

By Mike Mulhern
JOURNAL REPORTER
Published: November 10, 2008
AVONDALE, Ariz.

The moves by big team owners Rick Hendrick and Joe Gibbs in the past few days to start paring their giant rosters of crewmen have set off a wave of frantic job searching by a large number of crewmen at Phoenix International Raceway.

The fear is that next week, after the Homestead finale to the 10-month season, even more NASCAR job cuts will be made.

That, plus glum economics news from Detroit's carmakers in the past few days, brought NASCAR CEO Brian France to the dais yesterday, and he said he has made rounds to the very top corporate officers of Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Chrysler and has been reassured that NASCAR is very important in their marketing plans.

"We have been told directly, by each of these companies, that one of the things that works best for them is NASCAR," France said. "Each went out of his way to make the point that, despite having to make cuts to meet these challenging times, they will not abandon something that works so well.

"That was very comforting to us. That's one of the reasons we went up to Detroit and out to Los Angeles -- to make sure we are still working well for them, in helping them sell their vehicles, in helping them sell their brand.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #2

NASCAR Troubles??

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/nov/10/widespre...ssional-auto-racing/

Widespread job cuts expected in NASCAR

Automakers' struggles are likely to spell trouble for many stock-car teams

By Mike Mulhern
JOURNAL REPORTER
Published: November 10, 2008
AVONDALE, Ariz.

The moves by big team owners Rick Hendrick and Joe Gibbs in the past few days to start paring their giant rosters of crewmen have set off a wave of frantic job searching by a large number of crewmen at Phoenix International Raceway.

The fear is that next week, after the Homestead finale to the 10-month season, even more NASCAR job cuts will be made.

That, plus glum economics news from Detroit's carmakers in the past few days, brought NASCAR CEO Brian France to the dais yesterday, and he said he has made rounds to the very top corporate officers of Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Chrysler and has been reassured that NASCAR is very important in their marketing plans.

"We have been told directly, by each of these companies, that one of the things that works best for them is NASCAR," France said. "Each went out of his way to make the point that, despite having to make cuts to meet these challenging times, they will not abandon something that works so well.

"That was very comforting to us. That's one of the reasons we went up to Detroit and out to Los Angeles -- to make sure we are still working well for them, in helping them sell their vehicles, in helping them sell their brand.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #3

Doesn't sound like young Mr. France is doing well. He should Mr Helton and solve the problems. By the way has anyone noticed the number of empty seats at the races?
Next thing you know they will be asking for the old timers to come back to the tracks. Personally I went from 7 to 8 races a year to "0" a year! Just got tired of phoney yellow flags and ticket prices!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
A lot of the lay offs are because the larger teams had specal test teams that did nothing but test,and testing has been cut.As you can tell by my sig. ,we live right in the middle of most of the teams.So far about a 1000 jobs have been lost and big dollar cuts to some left.I also use to go to a lot of races(9--10)a year but now just go to Bristol,and this will mabey be last year there,For what tickets and campsite cost ,I can stay at least 2 mo in a warm location.in JAN,FEB.Tickets are out of sight ,but Isee Jimmy Johnson still made 48 million in past 4 years.Not a problem how much he makes,but it will not come any come from me.Rick Hendrick and the track owners are still Billion $$$$ and will still get millions from GM (OUR MONEY FROM THE gov.)Sorry about being so long but I am feed up with all of it.
THANKS and Keep the DRINKS COLD AND FIRES WARM HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Petty Enterprises is closing down - see HERE. Can the Wood Brothers and others be far behind?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! last I read is that Petty/GEM merger was all but done. Must have gone south real quick. Wood brothers is already going down; they are only going to race 1.5 mile and longer tracks in 2009. That is about 16 races. I think that most 1 and 2 cars teams are doomed unless they merge to form bigger teams. Small teams just cannot compete against the likes of Hendricks or Rousch. Can it be that NASCAR will soon be like F1? 1/2 million dollar cars and only a handful on race day?

I am also hearing that those reporters close to NASCAR have expectations of less than full fields this year. Wonder how that will effect the TV contracts where NASCAR committed to full fields for all races.

I stopped going to Cup races because the races got too expensive and all the drivers do is whine and cry afterward about who did what to whom. Not to mention the "debris cautions" that allow the field to close back up!!! I prefer Nationwide and Truck races. Better racing and a lot less whining.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
John,you are correct about. A buddy who I better not name told me it looked like 36 teams at this time and not all of these covered for all 36 races.they are pricing them selfs out of it.By the way it was going down before the new car,the auto makers and every thing went south.Ihate to see it as a long time fan ,but they bought it on themselfs
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just my opinion, but as a long time NASCAR fan, I believe thier problems started long before the present economic situation. The multi-car teams did nothing but take away the competition from the small teams. Take a look at what team owners are represented by the race winners, and series champions for the last several years.
Look alike cars, and race orchestration, via phoney yellow flag racing are also contributers to the problems NASCAR now faces.I like K-Star above stopped going to races mainly because they became too expensive, and thr entertainment for the buck just isn't what it used to be. Wish NASCAR would would take it back to where a Ford, was a Ford, A GM was a GM etc. I know this will never happen under the present management of NASCAR, but I can dream!
Again, just my opinion,

Dieselclacker
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dieselclacker

I don't follow NASCAR closely. Too rich for my little retirement check. Are you saying it's become a lot wrestling, that the only thing real in NASCAR's case is they go fast & turn left?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
What NASCAR should remember is..... If you haven't got dirt in your beer, You haven't been to the races!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #11

I agree that Nascar has been self defeating for a number of years. This is why I go to Sprint Car races. I can enjoy half a dozen races for the cost of one nascar race and it's better racing. Dirt is for Racing!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
Are you saying it's become a lot wrestling, that the only thing real in NASCAR's case is they go fast & turn left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pretty much. Tube-framed spec cars with spec engines (engine designs have to be approved by NASCAR) that have no resemblance whatsoever to what we can buy in the showroom. NASCAR forgot the "Win on Sunday - sell on Monday" concept that ruled back when the 406 and 427 Galaxies, 409 and 427 Impalas, 421 Pontiacs, 426 wedge and Hemi Plymouths and Dodges raced each other. Today's racers are honed by the PR consultants to project the right image for the sponsor - unlike Curtis Turner, the Allisons, Cale Yarborough, etc.

Yep, today's NASCAR is about entertainment and advertising, not racing. JMHO, of course....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
Dieselclacker

I don't follow NASCAR closely. Too rich for my little retirement check. Are you saying it's become a lot wrestling, that the only thing real in NASCAR's case is they go fast & turn left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, its not quite in the same league as Pro Wrestling, but in my opinion, it is rapidly approaching that stage.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Are you saying it's become a lot wrestling, that the only thing real in NASCAR's case is they go fast & turn left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pretty much. Tube-framed spec cars with spec engines (engine designs have to be approved by NASCAR) that have no resemblance whatsoever to what we can buy in the showroom. NASCAR forgot the "Win on Sunday - sell on Monday" concept that ruled back when the 406 and 427 Galaxies, 409 and 427 Impalas, 421 Pontiacs, 426 wedge and Hemi Plymouths and Dodges raced each other. Today's racers are honed by the PR consultants to project the right image for the sponsor - unlike Curtis Turner, the Allisons, Cale Yarborough, etc.

Yep, today's NASCAR is about entertainment and advertising, not racing. JMHO, of course....

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said Rusty! And here I thought I was the only one on this forum who was old enough to remember Curtis Turner!

Dieselclacker