Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > RV Events & Gatherings
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Been to lots of tracks, mostly infields over the last 20 years. Wife is spoiled and won't sit in grandstands. The most expensive is Daytona at about $3k for the week. We like Atlanta the most. Chicagoland is about the hottest place I have been; even hotter than Phoenix.

06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll be at Talladega in May. I'll be just outside the track. At least it won't take us 3 hours to get in and out. That's no fun. Been there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Kansas Speedway

Well...we had 'season tickets' including camping at Texas Motorspeedway for several years.

Now that we've moved back home, I've been going to Kansas Speedway. After being to several tracks I've got to say these guys have their ducks in a row. They actually enter EVERY RV that comes onto the grounds to inspect for illegal items (fireworks, etc). Down side is no pets...period!

As for Indy...I've been going to the 500 for about 5 years. I don't recall seeing infield camping at that track; however we camp right outside of turn 3 in lot 4. I can hit the track with an easy rock toss.

I love NASCAR, but everyone needs to see the Indy 500 at least once. It's incredible!

You want crazy? Bristol in August at Farmer Bob's right across the road. Wow...that was insane.

I do have one question for you 'Infield Guys.' How do you set up your viewing station on the roof? I've always wanted to do this, but have been worried about damaging the rig somehow.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdwitch View Post
Dover is a HUGE traffic jam - the entire week before and several days after every race....that's why we LEAVE town when you all come. The last race they even had a 'major' grocery chain selling out of a tent...what next?

This is actually quite common at many tracks. What a money maker for the grocery store and track. I liked it because if I forgot something they had just about everything. Oh yeah...the last time I went to the track store, Richard Petty was sitting out front signing autographs. My lucky day!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're heading down to Pocono for the June race this year.

Last year we track camped at Richmond for the last race before the Chase. We headed out in the overnight from CT and got to Richmond in the wee early morning hours. After spending a few hours at the local WalMart - along with about 100 other campers and RV's - we headed off to Lot J. We were the first one's there, again very early and pulled right up to the gate. We were waiting for the gate to open for a few hours and as the morning rolled on, our neighbors started lining up behind us.

First one's in got us Pole Position! with the first spot right by the Tram stop, but being the first one's in also meant we were the first one's to get stuck in the mud. The ground was very wet from two days of rain.

By mid-morning, there were about 1/2 dozen tow trucks pulling people out .. and it didn't cost anyone a dime. The track picked up all the costs for towing people out!

After we left Richmond, we spent a week visiting family and friends on our trek back north, and then headed off to New Hampshire for the 2nd race of the Chase. Since we bought our NH camping passes late (we got free Race Tickets from CocaCola for the race, so we just *had* to go), we ended up in the back camping lot. It turned out to be ok. Sure, it was farther away from all the track festivities, but we got there the day they opened camping, so we had a pretty private space - that was until Saturday morning when the place filled up like that [snapping fingers].

We could see the track from our location, but its not close enough to watch the race from.

We're still a little undecided on whether we'll go back to NH this year. It's a relatively short drive from homebase in CT, and the average price of $100 for a week of camping is a good deal - but we really felt the racing last summer there was boring! It was a lot of follow the leader. That was out 2nd trip to NH for a race and the first time was a blast. No RV that time .. that was a 1 day round trip from CT --> NH --> CT.

Overall we're 50/50 on heading back to NH. It's a great place to go to watch the entire race from the grandstands - versus the larger tracks, but I think they need to changeup the track, change the racing tires .. something to make the racing there better.

Which brings us to this years first NASCAR stop for us - Pocono. This will be our first trip to Pocono and we've certainly heard, and read, good and bad comments about watching the racing there. We got a GREAT RV spot - or at least we hope it will be great! I just purchased a Trackside RV Pass (at less than the $500 face value) that puts us about 15' from the track between turns 2 and 3 ... it's about as close to the action as you can get at Pocono without being in the pits.

In looking at the Pocono map, the Family RV section that runs the length of turn 3 has some views down the straightaway towards the stripe - might be a better place to see more of the action from the RV, but the Trackside spots seem to be the "premium" location, and they are certainly priced that way, so we're hoping we'll be satisfied with our location.

Now to figure out who we're going to invite with us ;-) ...
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Last year was our first adventure with our RV at a NASCAR event, but it was a little unusual. We landed jobs working infield security at NHMS during the major races (NASCAR and Indy) so were able to camp in the employee lot way in the back. It was about a 20 minute walk from our Winnie to the infield each morning. We had to use coolers to keep everything cold during the day since we couldn't leave our gen running while we worked, but that was fine.

It was real nice firing up the gen and using the a/c during the July and August events each night though!

Saw lots of the campers with camp fires or grills in the evening and everyone looked like they were having fun.

We've also camped in the infield during SCCA and club events which is nice because we can use shore power and have a 2 minute 'commute' to work.

In fact, we spent all of last week (April break) at NHMS with the Winnie and working (flagging) club events and motorcycle races.
dburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #35

2Labs.
I found out if you find out the race is getting boring, that usually means you haven't been drinking enough.