Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
6mm

Nascar Circuit

We are planning to purchase a DPMH and the wife and I are Nascar fans.
What help or advise could you give us on what is the best way to follow the circuit of races.
Lets say we could start at Daytona and work our way north up to the Michigan race.
I don't think we would want to drive to the west coast races only because of the amount of miles for such a short stay.
What tips can you help with and what a great way to enjoy the new MH and enjoy the races.
Thanks for the help
6mm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

If you are planning on trying to make every race except the West Coast in one season, you are going to be as tired and haggard as the car haulers. I would suggest going to several races each year in one section of the country, changing to different areas each year. Then you can plan to sightsee going to each race and in the area of each track. This way, one year could be a west coast trip. If you are going to camp at the track, make your reservations as far in advance as possible. You didn't say whether you are retired or not, but in either situation, you will want to enjoy your travels and the races.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
6mm

BBQjudge
Yes your are correct on doing a section of the country at a time.
That is what we were just looking at and that seems like good advise.
Is there any special considerations that nascar gives to help a person complete such a purpose.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4

No special considerations that I am aware of. Perhaps other NASCAR campers can answer. I always left the 5th wheel in a nearby campground and drove to the track in my p/u.

If the motorhome is in the very near future, you might think about doing some planning this off season for next year. Buying a new rig, I would suggest the tracks closest to home to become familiar with the rig and camping at the track. You can also research which tracks you can watch the race from the comfort of the MH and which tracks you need to purchase seats in the grandstands.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

do you plan on staying in the infield, outside of track or at camp grounds? staying in the infield can get expensive but i here it can be a great party. i have stayed at joliet il one time at a farmers that rented out camp sites. they were loud all night long and used a lot of profanty. since the i have stayed at a state park and drove back in forth to the track. problem is i had to drive a car along with camper. luckly its only about 100 miles 1 way. i'm building a motorhome now that i can haul a car in it. keep in touch and maybe we can meet up at a race.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
6mm

Volvoman,
We have been to Bristol, Michigan, Talladega, Darlington, Daytona.
We stayed in infield, Parking fields, and onsite track parking, I don't think we will stay infield again but most likely on site parking is what we had the best times at. It provides the best of both worlds and did not have to drive to track each day or fight traffic.

BBQ Judge asked if we where retired and the answer is yes.
I think it would be a great way to break in the new MH and also have time to see the country our goal would be to travel to 4-5 races and then head home for a while.
Has anyone else tried this and please give your comments??
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If the infield camping is anything like camping at the National Tractor Pulls in Bowling Green Oh, it will be a cross between 1) a zoo, 2) a drunk tank, and 3) and Insane Asylum!!!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
6mm

It can be all that unless you are in the high rate areas.-LOL
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We have stayed in Dover & NH. Loved Dover....big grassy fields, lots of room, and shuttle to track if you don't want to hike it. When in NH we stayed in the party lot - very expensive for being packed like sardines...but they do have family lots and also a campground near by that friends stay in and say both are nice. Friends of ours made it to Bristol and Richmond this past summer and loved Bristol...stayed on a local farm that has campsites....great sites, super friendly.
We are hoping that once we start living on the road we will be able to hit a few more race tracks. ;-)
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure if they still do them but some travel clubs and organizations like FMCA, Winnebago Itasca Travelers (WIT), and caravan companies, brain went dead so can't think of a name right now, do NASCAR events, which includes camping, tickets, some meals and things like that so you might check around and see if they are still doing these rallies.

Try and make your trip part of the destination and don't put yourself in a need to drive 500 miles a day situation.

Don G.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #11

6MM
Start at Daytona, you can stay at the Dog Track a 1/2 mile or so away & shuttle to the track & then on Saturday move to the track for $250.
I next go to Bristol, camp at Farmer Bob's accross the street.
Then (I know it's a far) I go to Texas & camp in the area on the outside of the track.
The best way is to google each race you want to see & every track is a little different as to in- field or on the grounds just outside or a campground close by, you need to check each one & choose. I usually stay on the grounds just outside or a campground close by & stay away from the crazy's
Let me know what race your planning on attending & maybe we could meet up.