Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
You should add ear plugs to your checklist of items to have in your RV. Would save you from listening to the road noise as well as a snoring spouse at night.
Not really a check list, just my observations. Yes there was road noise but I kinda expected it. I looked at a map and saw where the fair grounds were located and set my expectations accordingly.

I went to several seminars as did the DW. I walked out of some and so did she. When we saw a seminar was lead by a person with a specific product interest we expected at least part of it to be a sale pitch, infomercial.

And thanks to the volunteers, all that we met did there best to help us. As I said earlier we have been on that side too.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #58

Ok I've been looking at this thread. No follow up, how was Reba?
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Warren View Post
Ok I've been looking at this thread. No follow up, how was Reba?
Good, even if we didn't have the best seats. I thought she did a good show.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #60

Reba was great. Her show made the whole rally successful.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post

The Rally directions asked that the TOADs be disconnected before entering the fairgrounds. If you did not, you probably got seperated while you disconnected your TOAD

Keep in mind everyone did follow directions as nobody entered the fairgrounds past the first day on June 11th AM.( not entirely true, I was talking to a couple, that was not handicapped,that they parked on Thurs in a nice, mostly dry, area inside the fairgrounds ) I was parked in a staging area set up for people to unhook before going in ... Motorhome owners can't just stop on highways or retail establishments to unhook. Sometimes they are the only driver or it can be dangerous in some areas.

Many of the volunteers were good, there were some bad apples who were on a power trip and copped an attitude. Thank you to those who were respectful and courteous and shame on those who didn't want to do what they volunteered to do and were taking it out on everyone.

Reba was good. I felt they should have placed us in the coliseum though instead of outside as it was too crowded for that field. That in part, based on what someone told me, was because they let in general publicfor a fee of 10 dollars and they did not all leave , as required , before the entertainment . It should have been GS members ONLY and based on how they enforced things with the membership this should have also been addressed with as just as much vigor.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sent in for a partial refund, lets see if they have the integrity to honor it.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I sent in for a partial refund, lets see if they have the integrity to honor it.
You spent the time there,you went to the shows and now you want a refund. Why would they possible give it to you?
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
You spent the time there,you went to the shows and now you want a refund. Why would they possible give it to you?

We didn't go over much as there was no transportation and it made it difficult to get someone with limited mobility over to the grounds where, there were handicap carts.
That in turn, plus the lack of sleep forced us to leave and miss the last day.
We,at the time of parking, were parked with the promise of the attendant that there would be carts picking up those that needed it from the lot.

It's a shame in this world. I hope that the people that don't care about people with extenuating medical conditions or handicaps, don't start complaining about people who , later in life when they have trouble, treat them like they treated others.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Anyone ever hear the quote
" some people would complane if they were hung with a new rope" it was what it was. I went as a day person.. Was disappointed with the amount of vendors.... BUT, nothing is perfect!!! Including all the people that are complaining here!!!!
Chow5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
We didn't go over much as there was no transportation and it made it difficult to get someone with limited mobility over to the grounds where, there were handicap carts.
That in turn, plus the lack of sleep forced us to leave and miss the last day.
We,at the time of parking, were parked with the promise of the attendant that there would be carts picking up those that needed it from the lot.

It's a shame in this world. I hope that the people that don't care about people with extenuating medical conditions or handicaps, don't start complaining about people who , later in life when they have trouble, treat them like they treated others.
I spent many years as primary care giver to my parents,both in wheel chairs. I took them to many places including vacations.If you want to go places you work hard and find ways,you don't expect everyone else to change the world for you.You can not expect traffic to stop because it bothers your sleep.Buses ran to the mall about every 10 min.Many other people in the same situation made the best of it. I'm sorry you didn't have a great time but the fact is that GS did everything possible to make the best of a bad situation maybe should have done the same.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Having lived near Syracuse for most of my life I could have warned about the potential for bad weather. They say if you don't like the weather in Syracuse, wait 15 minutes. I also could have warned that route 690 is the main thoroughfare from the western suburbs and the route to interstate 90 (Thruway) so there will be plenty of traffic.

Some interesting stuff. The lake you can see from the fairgrounds was (and may still be) the most polluted lake in the U.S. They are attempting to clean it up now but if you go fishing it would be good to throw it back. The mall you were redirected to sits at the end of the lake. Almost at the spot where there was an amusement park before industry ruined the lake. The light at Tipperary Hill has the green light on top is there due to the Stone Throwers Tipperary Hill Heritage Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NY State Fair has been held in Syracuse for 171 years. We don't go much anymore just because we have seen it enough being locals and like your rally what was an informative affair now is a flea market trying to sell you stuff at inflated prices. I will say they have always handled transportation surprisingly well so I am saddened and apologetic that it sounds like they dropped the ball on that. If Good Sam coordinated the transportation then they are to blame since the Fair has always done a good job IMHO.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #68

I went to the rally, early entry on Wednesday and waited two hours to get parked. Didn't have the worst spot didn't have the best. If the weeks weather was perfect people would still complain. Hey they all did the best they could so I had a good time. The sheriffs dept did a good job and were friendly. I had my golf kart and gave people rides to and from. The buses rolled all the time and you hardly had to wait. If one is really not able to get around too well then an electric kart would be what you should bring to a rally. Vendors sell them at every event!
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like the FMCA rally in Gillette, WY had some horrible weather problems, but no where near the number of gripes. I can't figure out why the folks that want to vent about Syracuse don't do it on RV.Net, which has a direct shot a Good Sam, since they run it. Maybe then, the right people would here or care.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #70

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just looked up at this thread.....Golly folks... We attended the rally and while we were inconvenienced....it was still a good weekend....!!! We RV because we want to relax and enjoy the lifestyle. Who cares if it is muddy or rainy???? We are not sleeping on the ground in a tent. We are in a nice dry RV with heat, AC, and often Satellite TV...LOL!!! Chill out all of you....!!!! I was there with my disabled hubby. I pushed his wheelchair through the rain but we laughed when we returned to the RV because we could dry off and then we could have a cup of tea and relax....and that is what we do....we relax and thank God that we have the means to travel in a big comfortable Box....Hell.....it is a Great Box!!!!! We have a lot of things that most people would kill for....Think about that!!!! A fridge to keep our food cold, a stove to cook our food, a very comfortable bed with sheets and blankets that are washed to our satisfaction, and all of our "stuff" that we need to make us happy. I am really happy that I have my rolling home and if any of you were unhappy with where you were parked, I am sorry....but what else would you be doing????

Was that weekend so bad????

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally