Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: On a few of these NASCAR threads a have noticed some people believe that the cost of going to a Win
Too Expensive 12 33.33%
Starting to price me out 14 38.89%
Just right 1 2.78%
I would pay more if I had too just to see it live 3 8.33%
Don't Care I only watch on TV 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 AM   #15
After holding tickets for both Bristol and Michigan for several years, we finally burned out and went back to our first love, the local dirt tracks. We still enjoy watching NASCAR on TV (when we're home), but find we can do nearly an entire season of dirt races for what two or three weekends used to cost us at the big tracks.

The fans are just as passionate, the racing is still exciting, the drivers are just as charismatic (but much more approachable) and the camping is wonderfully comfortable and friendly. Most tracks allow camping and many that are at county fairgrounds have electricity for around $10 per night. Some don't charge at all.

Apparently we aren't the only ones who have figured this out because the number of campers at the bigger dirt track races is growing each year. Still, it's much more laid back and much less crowded.

Y'all might want to try it.

Tim & Kathy

'99 Newmar American Star 30WBRL Fifth Wheel
'97 Ford 250 PSD Long Bed

Tim & Kathy

3Kattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #16
The Kansas & Chicagoland Speedways were built by a partnership of both the France (NASCAR) and Hulman-George (Indy 500, IRL) families. Chicagoland offers a "Track Pack" that includes tickets to two weekends of racing that includes NASCAR WC & Busch, IROC, ARCA, & IRL. The prices range from $195 to $260. You can only buy individual race tix from scalpers. The Ticket Office only sells these packs. RV Spaces are also sold as season passes, ranging from $500 to $850. The higher prices do include electric. Sites are available in the infield and on a ridge along the back stretch. I don't think the infield has sold out the last two years. One nice feature...parking for the day is free. As with other tracks, there are private open fields adjacent to the track that offer primitive camping.

Does anybody camp outside a track and just watch the race on TV?? Seems like that would be a way of enjoying the race with other fans and saving some money. Indy & Chicago have the displays and T-Shirt trailers outside the actual track. At Chicago, you could park in the morning, tailgate, visit displays and trailers, watch the race at your car, and leave, without paying anything to the track.

<font color=Gray>01 Dodge Dakota QC towing a</font>
<font color=green>02 Coleman Utah "Siesta Fiesta"</font>

<font color=Gray>01 Dodge Dakota QC towing a</font>
<font color=blue>05 Warrior FS2300 "Siesta Fiesta"</font>
RhinoYahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 04:27 PM   #17
We have the season package at Kansas and the ticket prices are the same as Chicago. I don't know what the infield or spaces overlooking the backstretch go for, but the Coleman Campground outside of turn two is $225 for the two race weekends. There aren't any hookups, just a space.

Of all the tracks we go to, Kansas is by far the most expensive overall. From the campground to the food and water inside (and don't even think about trying to bring ANY food or water in). I hope they don't get another race date. It is too close not to get the tickets, but it is more expensive than driving hundreds of miles to other tracks!

Martinsville has got to be the best value. We've had really good seats for around $75, the campground is $30 for the cup weekend (the orange dirt/mud and a hilly site are thrown in for free ) and the food inside is dirt cheap. I really love that race!

K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #18
Kansas Speedway Infield

$710 gets your RV in plus 2 people for the season

$75 gets your tow or towed vehicle in for BGN and WC weekend

$100 for each additional person for the BGN and WC weekend

Backstretch Yarbrough Terrace seats

$121 for WC race
$ 64 for BGN race.

Allison Grandstand (Backstretch)
$75 for the weekend.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:31 PM   #19
Season tix (WC,BGN, 2CTS, 2IRL) ~ $350 for two
Reserved, outside camping (no hookups) ~$350
for three weekends
Coolers (beer, sodas, food) welcome!

We see about 30 races a year on TV, it's convenient. That's the only nice thing I can say for televised coverage. There's nothing like being there smellin' the exhaust, hearin' the scream of 43x700hp blowin' by, tire rubber in yer beer, dust in your eyes, heart startin' excitement!
Heck, a seat at a pro football or hockey game is gettin' up there, too! Everything is only going to increase in price, so if you want it you'll pay. That's not just the American Way (an inaccurate cheap shot) it's the reality of the world we live in. I can't take money with me when I die, but I can take my memories of all the things I saw and did while I was alive.

'01 Dodge 2500 QC, CTD, Pacbrake, Prodigy
'03 Thor Jazz 2760 RL
Wife; Mac, the demon dog; Kyla, sweet kitty.
Far from retiring!
'01 Dodge 2500 QC, CTD, 4x4
Y2K Starcraft 953 slide-in
'85 HR 28' Class "A"
Brian 'n Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:33 AM   #20
Talladega, Sept 2003. $250.00 for the weekend at Coleman Family I and II. No electric hook up, water is available. The water pressure is extremely high. Fire ant mounds everywhere, red clay where there isn't any grass. The constant noise from the generators is nerve wrackin! Rules say no fires, but people have them anyway. Coleman I and II have enforced quiet hours from midnight til 6 am. Ice costs $5 per 20 pound bag. $25 to have your holding tanks pumped out. The other campground in which I call "animal house" they party hard all night long. The song Family Tradition is blaring from speakers everywhere. Dega has a few drawbacks, but there isn't any racing in NASCAR that keeps you on the edge of your seat, except Daytona. I'll be back in 2004 for the spring race. See y'all there!!
Sammy_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:47 AM   #21
I noticed the poll results up till now say starting to price me out is 100%. That's where we're at, I had to throw our ticket renewal for Chicagoland away this weekend. We're debating on whether or not we'll renew Michigan. We'll definately be going to IRP for the Busch race, that's not too bad and a good short track night race. At least at Michigan and IRP they let you bring your beverages in. Plan on spending another $25 per person on food and beverages at Chicagoland IF you're conservative!
DEI Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #22
I just arrived back from Phoenix International Speedway, this is what the trip cost me.

$135 for the Motorhome site from Monday through Monday. Their facilities operate from Thursday through Monday (Showers, porta potties, water and dump services)

$50 for start finish mid way up tix for the Busch race

$55 for turn 4 mid way up tix for the Winston Cup race.

I arrived early Friday morning and left early Monday morning. I was rather suprised at how little it cost.

I am also going to Vegas in March, here are the prices.

$249 for a spot from Wednesday to Monday. Spot is paved outside of turn 1.

$316 for two tix to all three days and events. Qual day, Busch race, Nextel Cup race. Seats are 5 rows from the top in turn 4.

While these prices seem high, i tend to look at it as an extended weekend of camping and sporting events. I will arrive Thursday late night, enjoy qual day and practice on Friday, the Busch race and Nextel Cup Happy Hour on Saturday and the Nextel Cup race on Sunday, all within walking distance to a reserved motorhome spot right outside of turn 1. A little over $500 bucks for all that is fairly reasonable in my oppinion considering that the races rarely come to my area in California.

Lastly i just purchased my Tix for the two Nextel cup races in Fontana.

Three days of racing for both race weekends. Late April race and Early September night race. Seats are high up in turn 1, near exit to pit road. I paid $618 for 2 tix to all comes out to about $50 for each race.
NascarCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #23
Welcome to IRV2 NascarCoop. It is always nice to hear from an RVing/NASCAR fan. You will find lots of great info and people on this site. Of the three above mentioned races which one do you recommend? My wife and I are debating which one we want to attend/RV at next year. Fontana, Vegas & Pheonix are the closest (Sears Point dosent count) from where we are at.

1990 22' Wilderness Yukon fifth wheel. 1995 F-350 XLT 5spd 4X4 powerstroke diesel
Go Ward Burton #22 CAT Racing
Visit My Site www.weekendgetaway.irv2.com
1990 22' Wilderness Yukon fifth wheel. 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 6spd 4X4 cummings diesel
Go Ward Burton find a ride Visit My Site www.weekendgetaway.irv2.com
FAT HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:43 AM   #24

We voted ( priced us out ) to stay home with all the comforts and to watch the NASCAR race on TV.

As one earlier post, we will enjoy the local dirt track racing next year.

A spot in turn 4 at the Kansas track is available. Interested send a e-mail.

Retired and traveling when we can. 2001 Expidition-36/2002-CRV
Retired and traveling when we can. 2001 Expidition-36/2002-CRV
gstaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:03 AM   #25

Well for the pure racing fan Phoenix is definately the best of the 3. RV ing at Fontana is near impossible due to the fact that the only available spots are on the infield and they are nearly impossible to get. Vegas tends to have A LOT of "other" attractions as well as California so Phoenix is definately at the top of my list for the pure racing expierience.

Vegas is rather easy to get RV spaces to and Phoenix has a HUGE first come first serve area that has more than enough room to accomodate numerous thousands of peeps. Reserved RV spaces for Phoenix go on sale May 1 2 or 3 i believe. But there is plenty of room in the first come first serve area as I stated before. This year there was in excess of 3800 RV'rs at the race for the weekend. It is relatively a very decent crowd with plenty of partying but not even close to being out of hand or control.

Hope this helps.

NascarCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #26
I'm with the folks that said they started following the local dirt races.

nascar doesn't care a bit about prices because if one person stops coming, another 10 are waiting for tickets. The other thing is, our local cable provider moved Speedvision to a digital tier, so to get that you have to subscribe to yet another tier AND rent a darned digital cable converter box. No thanks.
The other thing is the cars - paint 'em all white, peel off the headlight and tailight stickers, and you cannot tell the cars apart anymore. BET ME. That, and as soon as somebody gets a scratch on their car, half the time they retire due to 'handling difficulties'.

Brimg me back Petty, Yarbrough, Pearson, Isaac, Baker, folks that could RACE.

I compared the nascar event to Disneyland/Disneyworld, and even a Laker game:
25 years ago, we could afford to go to every race if we wanted to, and every Laker game if we wanted to, and Disney facilities were once-a-year vacations, if not once a lifetime.
Now the reverse is true, it's more affordable to hit Disneyland than a Laker game or a cup event, much more bang for the buck.

Times change.

Today you can barely get into an NCAA football game, if it's a top-20 school, seems to be the same with basketball.

So now we enjoy the local dirt late-models, and AAA Baseball, and If I am going to spend $125 a night on something, I'm going camping in Key West, stepping out my door directly onto the sand, and I'm taking my buddies Johnny Walker, Captain Morgan, Ron Rico, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam....
Fredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:58 PM   #27
Hi all,
We just got back from the Night race at Fontana.
Total cost for the weekend...
Dry infield lot-240.00
6 wrist bands to get in the infield 270.00
1 extra car parking for the infield 45.00
Food and Drink for all 200.00
Fuel for truck and RV (genset)-50.00

We had a great time, Didn't sit in the stands but had a nice view from the top of the RV w/TV on it. Neighbors were great for the most of it. Track personel were great but the rent-a-cops were pricks to put it lightly. No we were not drunks but they were making some bad calls. Saw 1 guy get fired. They all looked like slobs and acted like gods. The San Bernadino Sheriffs Dept was great. They were nothing more than there when needed. Great Job Guys and Gals.

Over all, worth every penny. We watch them film part of the new Herbie the Love Bug movie, practace, qualifing, BGN and the Cup race.
My only other snivle is the midnight shut down of all generators, it was very warm last night and would have loved to have the gen on until 1am when it really cooled off. There was no wind last night. Muggy.. ugg.

Ok, that was my 2cents.
1-2004 Harley-Davidson Fatboy

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Various tickets for Bristol in August - priceless. Been going for about 15 years. I don't see any end in sight. We camp all week at All American camp ground; hang out with friends, meet up with family & relax. Still the most relaxing vacation I take all yr. (and I get about 7 weeks of it).

This is an expensive sport. But have you been to a baseball game lately? Now that's a ticket hardly worth the price! And it has all the traffic problems of most sports events. Don't care much for football or basketball either - the players are really wacko!

Living in Atlanta I get my choice of a lot of sports. All of them are a hassel to get in and our of. I guess if you like it you deal with it. I don't much to deal with it - a few hours of a sport and many hours of traffic.

2011 Phaeton 36 QSH. 2005 Honda CRV.
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote