Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: On a few of these NASCAR threads a have noticed some people believe that the cost of going to a Win
Too Expensive 12 32.43%
Starting to price me out 14 37.84%
Just right 1 2.70%
I would pay more if I had too just to see it live 4 10.81%
Don't Care I only watch on TV 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2003, 05:09 PM   #1

On a few of these NASCAR threads a have noticed some people believe that the cost of going to a Winston Cup race is getting a bit on the expensive side. I am just curious on how you all feel about it.

1990 22' Wilderness Yukon fifth wheel. 1995 F-350 XLT 5spd 4X4 powerstroke diesel
Go Ward Burton #22 CAT Racing
Visit My Site www.weekendgetaway.irv2.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2003, 05:09 PM   #2

Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #3

We are not alone, this is probably the #1 complaint concerning this sport. Unfortunately, as long as we keep shelling it out, they'll keep raising the price! It won't drop until after they see a solid decline in attendance!

*Cliff*
98 Coleman Rio
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping "¢ net

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Along these lines, how about posting what it costs at various tracks? I'll start - this year's race at Sears Point/Infineon Raceway will cost $80 per person for the "cheap" seats; I don't know how much they charge for parking - when I saw $80 each I decided it is better to watch it from the comfort of my living room!

Alan@Hepburn.com - San Jose, Ca - http://www.Alan.Hepburn.com
1999 F450 Crew Cab PSD pulling a 2002 Fleetwood Triumph 365L triple slide fifth wheel
"Clinton is not the worst president the republic has had,
but he is the worst person ever to have been president. "

-George F. Will
Old 01-31-2003, 09:01 AM   #5

It's not just the ticket prices that are high....
Tickets for Atlanta, granted they are start/finish line, are $105.00 each. Then you add anywhere from $150-200 bucks a night for motel, with most demanding 3 nite minimums.
I used to attend 6-7 races a year. Now, I go to one Atlanta and the nite race at Bristol. That's about all I can afford.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:06 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Dover. Very top row. 3rd Turn. $94 each. Has gone up 2-5 bucks per year for the last 4 years. Dry camping in the field was $10 per night. Last year went up to $15 per night. Some reserved camping goes for $50-$70 per night.

Old enough to know better...Too young to care
<font color=rosybrown>2002 Kountry Star FW-30RKCL</font> by Newmar
<font color=lightslategray>2002 GMC 3500</font> Duramax/Allison
<font color=blue>2000 FLHTCU/I</font> by Harley-Davidson

Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #7

Add to that the scalpers scooping up everything in site and then offering them at twice the price. We won't go to anything much anymore because you have to pay premium for nosebleed seats or pay twice that to a scalper and still get crummy seats.

Liane, Don, Tom(13)
and Peanut pug
Fulltime since Fall'99
http://home.att.net/~holders3
Old 02-03-2003, 07:03 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Texas Motor speedway tickets for nonseason holders range from $80.00 to $112.00 for the front stretch. Camping in the reserved section went up $50.00 this year to 150.00 for the Bush and WCR, no hookups, but they added more gravel this year so maybe everybody won't get stuck.

2001 Cougar By Keystone 276 efs
2002 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6 liter Duramax 3:73 rear end http://www.texasboomers.org/

2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 AM   #9

Average seats at Rockingham on-the back side Hamlett section around 45.00 the higher you go the higher the price. But for 45.00 you can see a good race.
Camping across the road in the Triple L CG is $50.00 for the weekend NO hook-ups but you are not restricted to any size site. You use what you want with in reason.
We normally set up camp in a "U" shaped camp site and rope off the area to keep people from wandering trough the camp site. We put a fire barrel in the middle up toward the front of this "U".
My pop-up is usually the back of the "U" with the TT and motor home on the sides of the "U".
Look up my web site( http://byrdr1usanc.tripod.com/thebyrdfamilycampingsite/ ) and see a picture I think.. If not I will post some..
With the cost of gas around 35.00 and food around 75.00 with my son and myself we spend an easy $250.00 for a cheap weekend.
Plus this spring the "ROCK" will be the first trip of the season so I have restock the campers basic food supply. So the grocery bill could be higher. Then you add race car merchandise and you add another $100 to the mix..so my grand total for a 2 night/3day trip to a race is $350.00+/-.
And Rockingham is one of the least expensive tracks around.
Lowe's speedway cost maybe $100.00 for a the weekend because of ticket cost.

Randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:58 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Pocono:

$150.00 for reserved infield camping for the weekend - no hook-ups - 4th row in from the track.

$50.00 per person for infield tickets for the entire weeknd - 1 ARCA race and the WC event.

RKamperRV...(Rick)...Lancaster, PA
1996 Wilderness 29S
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed
44,000 miles and counting. This TRUCK is awesome!!!

Been to all 48 lower continental states!
--- P* Alumni ---

RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We used to go to the Pepsi 400 in Daytona every July for about 8 years. We had excellent seats in the Winston tower at the start/finish line. When it was a day race the crowd size was managable, you could get into resturants without too much trouble, and occasionally even ran into one of the drivers.

Then they switched the race to a night race and another 50,000 fans showed up. Most of the above conveniences went out the window. Prices went up, and minimum stays went up. Our last race weekend cost us about $1200 including tickets (3 seats), room, and food- and of course T-shirts! So we decided to give up our seats.

Now I get to sit in my own comfortable chair, have my own food and snacks, and my favorite beer. Costs me less than $30. Additionally, if there is anything interesting happening anywhere on the track or in the pits, I get to see it again at least 8 times! Sorry NASCAR but you lost me as a ticket buying customer.

P.S. While we are not rich, we could well afford to pay the costs and go to the races. It's just that we think the value received is being largely exceeded by the cost as time goes on. i.e., the value is not there anymore.

However, I do enjoy the racing and do buy produces from the car sponsors, so I guess they still get some of my money.

Go Bill! #9

Terry

Terry & Linda; plus LeMeiux & Hurakan the Burmese cats
'03 Kountry Star W22, '02 Wrangler, HD Ultra Glide, 72 days camping & 9620 miles in '00; 88 days & 9140m in '01; 85 days and 10,980m in '02
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 PM   #12

The "New Race Fan" is what is keeping the prices up. Just wait till they start to leave. Oh don't worry about the old time fans, we left a long time ago!

Lee,Marge & a watchdog named Tigger. Living Our Dream-Fulltiming!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #13

The cheap seats at Richmond started at $75 last year, but knowing the France family (who now owns RIR) those prices will likely go up with each passing year!

Ticket prices aren't the only thing, especially if it's a Saturday night race like we have at RIR. I live a good 2 hours away from the track, and it can take 3-4 hours after the race ends until you can get out of the parking lot and onto the interstate!

So I rent camping space in some nice womans back yard. She only charges us $30 per night, and let's us plug in to one outside power outlet. I've seen places (including the churchyard) renting spaces, and many of them getting as much as $200 per night!

A trip to the souvenier trailers will leave you broke if the cost of the ticket doesn't, and just wait until you try and buy a beer at one fo the consession stands! The fact that the France family has "used" the 9/11 tragedy to help bolster concession sales by no longer allowing coolers is a real sore spot with me!

It isn't going to get any cheaper either! However, for the price of a six pack, I can sit right there in my living room, and get a better view than I've ever had at the track itself! And I'll have saved at least $150...

Did someone say racing? Victory Lane Online

*Cliff*
98 Coleman Rio
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping "¢ net

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:15 AM   #14

My "non-moving" home is 6 miles from the Daytona track. Being local I have access to tickets. Am old enough to be a Bill Elliott fan for many years.

Used to love the races. Rarely even watch anymore. Last time we went was to the twin 125's about 3 years ago. Cost over a hundred bucks apiece for cramped seats in Oldfield Tower. Took an hour to get to the track even knowing all the back streets (some labeled dead-end which aren't, etc.)

Now we just watch the highlights. I really miss the excitment of true racing. All there is to restrictor plates racing is a herd of hotrods waiting for someone to make a mistake or have something break so half the cars can be destroyed.

97 Carriage Conestoga 3710 Triple Slide, Triple Axle, 1995 UD 1800 6 cyl, 6 spd
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote