Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
The Pittsburgh show in PA

Anyone planning on attending? I noticed it starts Jan 8th, I like to go and walk around.... Get thoughts on mods to do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

The Original RV Show

Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest you wear a heavy coat. I think that will be a little cooler than here in Pensacola.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Suggest you wear a heavy coat. I think that will be a little cooler than here in Pensacola.

So true, so true......
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghwizard View Post
Anyone planning on attending?
Yeah, we attend the show every year. It's always on one of the two weekends but the decision as to which day of which weekend we go on is driven by a complex algorithm based on whole host of variables which, in the end, usually becomes a spur of the moment thing. Last year, we went on the last day (Sunday). It was interesting as around three o'clock some exhibitors were already starting to break down their presentations in hopes of making a quick, mass exodus out the door.

Personally, I like to attend on a Sunday when the Steelers are playing in the afternoon as it tends to make the show a little less crowded. However, on the other hand, it makes it a little more to difficult to to talk to any of the vendors as most of them have their attention focused on the game- with many of them watching on the televisions inside the RVs.

Sadly, it's nothing like the show it used to be and every year I see (what I judge to be) more non-RV related exhibitors in attendance. Take a look through this year's exhibitors' list (which is below RV Dealer list) and see for yourself.

http://www.pittrvshow.com/docs/exhibitors_2011.pdf

Here's the 2010 exhibitors' list. (Note that the 2011 list is double-spaced).

http://www.pittrvshow.com/docs/exhibitors_2010.pdf
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
Yeah, we attend the show every year. It's always on one of the two weekends but the decision as to which day of which weekend we go on is driven by a complex algorithm based on whole host of variables which, in the end, usually becomes a spur of the moment thing. Last year, we went on the last day (Sunday). It was interesting as around three o'clock some exhibitors were already starting to break down their presentations in hopes of making a quick, mass exodus out the door.

Personally, I like to attend on a Sunday when the Steelers are playing in the afternoon as it tends to make the show a little less crowded. However, on the other hand, it makes it a little more to difficult to to talk to any of the vendors as most of them have their attention focused on the game- with many of them watching on the televisions inside the RVs.

Sadly, it's nothing like the show it used to be and every year I see (what I judge to be) more non-RV related exhibitors in attendance. Take a look through this year's exhibitors' list (which is below RV Dealer list) and see for yourself.

http://www.pittrvshow.com/docs/exhibitors_2011.pdf

Here's the 2010 exhibitors' list. (Note that the 2011 list is double-spaced).

http://www.pittrvshow.com/docs/exhibitors_2010.pdf

Haven't made it to a show in a good ten years and was wondering was there something or an area you would say are must see area's? I do plan on spending some time talking and walking....
Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
That's a difficult question to answer because it depends on what your interests are. We tend to gravitate toward the TTs because that's what we own (and that's what we would probably buy again anyway). However, we're not beyond checking out class "A"s, "C"s or anything else that piques our curiosity.

Every year we return home from the show without a new RV because we never see anything that excites us enough to want to trade in our (soon to be) 11 year old TT that we bought at the show back in 2000.

There is one booth that we do always visit and that's the Anderson's Campground Brochure Distribution. It's a great place to obtain campground literature. Judy (or occasionally her husband, Skip) manages the booth. Judy knows us and I have occasionally watched the booth for her while she takes a bathroom break as she is pretty much there by herself.

Unless you're made of money, try not to eat/drink at the show. The food's overpriced and the lines can sometimes be long. Last year, parking in the convention center parking lot was $10.00. As an alternative, sometimes, my wife and I ride the "T" (light rail) into downtown Pittsburgh and then walk to the show.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
That's a difficult question to answer because it depends on what your interests are. We tend to gravitate toward the TTs because that's what we own (and that's what we would probably buy again anyway). However, we're not beyond checking out class "A"s, "C"s or anything else that piques our curiosity.

Every year we return home from the show without a new RV because we never see anything that excites us enough to want to trade in our (soon to be) 11 year old TT that we bought at the show back in 2000.

There is one booth that we do always visit and that's the Anderson's Campground Brochure Distribution. It's a great place to obtain campground literature. Judy (or occasionally her husband, Skip) manages the booth. Judy knows us and I have occasionally watched the booth for her while she takes a bathroom break as she is pretty much there by herself.

Unless you're made of money, try not to eat/drink at the show. The food's overpriced and the lines can sometimes be long. Last year, parking in the convention center parking lot was $10.00. As an alternative, sometimes, my wife and I ride the "T" (light rail) into downtown Pittsburgh and then walk to the show.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for , the same thing we are on your 3rs TT this being a 3- foot prowler. I wanted to see the TT to see what mods I'd like to do...

Didn't know if there was a must see product to check out.
Always love talking to the sites and picking up info.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to the show.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
My wife and I attended the show yesterday (01/08) and learned that Skip and Judy sold their business (see above quote) and retired.

We didn't think there was as many class A, B and C's as in previous years. I would estimate the mix between motorhomes vs trailers as around 20%/80%. Parking at the convention center was a zoo (partly because there was also a home remodelling show there too), to say the least. We opted to park a few blocks away at one of the city parking garages for $5.00- and no waiting to get in (or out). I didn't notice what the event parking price was at the convention center but last year, it was $10.00. So, if you're able and willing to walk a few blocks, you can save yourself $5.00.

At the show, we saw a Flagstaff (Forest River) V-Lite 30WRKSS TT with a bath and a half- the first TT I ever saw with this feature. We liked the floorplan although, for the two of us, we don't really don't need the additional half-bath. Even in our present TT, if the bathroom is in use, you just make tracks for the campground's facility.

We also liked the (optional) atrium slide-out which contained a free standing dinette and 67" sofa. With the atrium slide-out, the four windows in the slide-out extend down to the floor. This gives the TT a nice, open feel. But the windows in the atrium open at the bottom rather than at the top. This could allow damage to the screens by being accidentally kicked from some one sitting at the dinette (like children) with "twitchy" feet. The dinette table has a self-storing extention on one end that enhances its functionality and the chairs were designed with a storage compartment in the seat. While there's not much depth, it would be a good place to keep your placemats and tablecloths. I thought the feature was rather thoughtful.

The 60" x 74" queen bed has its own slide-out which permitted extra room for the addition of a vanity to compliment the wardrobe in the bedroom. The spacious full bathroom is in the front V-shaped part of the trailer and has a garden shower plus two sinks.

The gray and black tanks are a generous 76 gallons each. Fresh water was 43 gallon- about the same as in our current Jayco Eagle 266 FBS. But the waste tanks were almost double the 44 gallon ones on ours.

This trailer lists as being 34' 3" long- nearly six feet longer than our 28' 4" Jayco, yet the dry/GVWR weights in the brochure are only 6,447/8,832. The Jayco brochure for ours lists 5,875 (the weight sticker in the coach says 6,138)/8,500. While the weights of the two coaches aren't much different even though the V-Lite is much longer, our Jayco has a much higher cargo capacity even using the higher "sticker" dryweight-2,363 compared to the V-Lite's 1,900- and this number is going to be higher depending on what optional items are installed.

We really liked this unit, but for the show price of $27,433.00, I think I'll keep my (soon to be) 11 year old Jayco another year.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh man, Frank, you had me going until your last line. You sounded like you were actually considering getting new. But there's nothing like having a paid off RV & the high price of a new one to bring you back to reality.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote