Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #43
You go to slab city to see the crazies.

Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #44
The whole story sounds a little fishy to me! First they were exploring the area for a few hours, then they were gone all day to palm springs. Plumbing fixtures? An Onan? Hahaha, those 3 suspicious looking elders next store move pretty fast.

I've been going to Quartzsite for over 10 years on an annual basis, my dad and several friends have 20+ years in. Its about as safe as you can get. Yes they stole quite a few "portable gens" years ago but that's about it.

Sounds like a local trying to scare the birds off. See you in the fall everyone, cheers.

Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #45
See ya their! Looks like we have a bite on the house@
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #46
I can drop an Onan, replace the starter and have it back in at just less then an hour... Probably allot less then that if I were in a hurry and didn't care about marking wires or removing exhaust.
Vacationer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #47
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2.2 types of people go to Q
1: People who go there. period. all by their lonesome
2.1 People who camp with a group of friends who keep an eye on each other and if something goes wrong .. Well let's say bad things happen to bad people
2.2 People who belong to multiple such groups (IE: ME) and have a problem deciding which one they are going to camp with .
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I go to Quartzsite to get away from people, we have left our stuff out for days at a time, no problem. Guess it just depends on your luck. We love not having people camped within a 1/4 mile of us.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #49
Texas Boomers Club
Get a couple of Doberman guard dogs I carry A Rottweiler myself.
Dealer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #50
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I go to Quartzsite to get away from people, we have left our stuff out for days at a time, no problem. Guess it just depends on your luck. We love not having people camped within a 1/4 mile of us.

I keep hearing bout this place and i thought it was super busy people everywhere??
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #51
In Quartzsite now....

Well I've been in Quartzsite and did not leave this summer and it's been it's normal quiet. The first MH's and RV's started arriving and passing thru about 3 weeks ago some arrived here and others went on to Yuma or points south. Temperatures have dropped 10 degrees, although yesterday it was 110 F in the shade and only cooled to 80 F overnight. The visitor count is down significantly from ten years ago so there is plenty of room in the RV parks and on the BLM. . I pay attention to news of thefts and burglaries here in town, at the show events and out on the BLM area as well. This is the first I have heard of this type of theft in this area. Last year I left for 4 months and it's impossible to put everything away or lock it up. I am right on Kuehn St and had an Onan sitting on a pallet in the front yard along with tables and barrels of rock and nothing was disturbed except for what the storms blew around. With so little rain events I have tools that are outside and nothing walks away, including power drills and saws. I don't lock my doors hardly at all even if I'm gone for the whole day up to Lake Havasu.
There is no market here for used Onan's and I have a neighbor that normally puts them in the scrap dumpster when he's scraping out an old MH or RV....there are no takers for them. I gave a slightly used 4K Onan away to a friend for the same reason.
Do be careful walking your dog off it's leash....they are gunning for you here. There were a few tickets issued each month for a while. I guess it kept the cops pen from drying up for lack of use.
Safe travels and see some of you here in Quartzsite.
mikeyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #52
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
saw a show once about 15yrs ago on that ,they parked a BMW on the street and filmed a van pulling up late at night, guys had a motor hoist on a trolley system in there and air tools ,short story 3min later was nothing left but the shell ,they had it all on film ,Nascar would have been proud
BMW dealer charges about 20 hrs. to do less work !!!!
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 / 4018
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
1940 Chevrolet Pickup
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #53
One of our visits to Quartzsite found us camping in the extreme NW edge of the Plamosa Road BLM 14 day area mid April. Weather was getting warm and the designated camping area was mostly empty. Our campsite was as far away from the road and other people as we could get. Had the door open, screen closed and locked, and windows open.

A little after sundown, I heard some kind of sound outside the RV, but decided to ignore it as we'd seen some coyote's, and the dog wasn't concerned. A few minutes later comes a knock on the door.

Sure glad our 110 lb Golden Retriever acted ferocious. I had to hold the dog back by his collar when a guy showed up at the door in the dark in the middle of the desert looking for water. It sure seemed strange to me, and the dog, and my wife. We gave the guy a bottle of water through the screen door window and away he went.

We've never had a good feeling about that incident, even though all turned out fine.
Brian & Margie
Please Support Multiple Use Of our Public Lands
Off Pavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #54
I have been going to Quartzsite the last 3 years and have not even heard of thefts.
2014 Ram D3500 DRW cummins, 4.10, Aisn.
2015 Redwood 38GK
Titanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #55
In over 50 years of camping in US, only had wife's helmet stolen and some fire wood. In 5 years in Mexico had two gas cans filled with water, CB antenna, Bicycle stolen, been burglarized, and shot at and friend robbed at gun point (so much for gun free zones) and arrested for having a pocket knife in my pocket..
No matter where you camp, Just use a little common sense, hide anything not locked up. (do not leave your beer cooler in plain sight and put water in your red gas cans, gas in your blue water cans)(careful which can you use to put out a fire!)(anyway, you get the idea)
N5SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #56
Alpine Owners Club
Theft at Quartzsite?

In 2009 we had our DP in a storage at a U Haul facility in Cornelius, NC. One night someone climbed over the fences, broke into multiple lockers and stole a class C. The class C was used to crash through the locked gate and transport the stuff from the lockers, it was found several hours later in Charlotte burned to the ground. If I follow the logic here we had better not camp in Cornelius or Charlotte.

There will always be someone trying to take advantage of others, use common sense, don't give them the opportunity, have insurance and protect yourself [moderator edit].

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote