Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding the facilities in Albuquerque, the Rally Show itself is held at the Expo New Mexico center on the east side of the city just south of I-40 a few blocks. The parking location for all the RV's is at the Balloon Fiestival area north of the city. This appears to be about 12 miles through heavy traffic to get back and forth.

I believe this is the same situation for the FMCA Convention also when it's been held there.

My question is for anyone that's attended either of these shows, how convenient or inconvenient is it regarding bussing, or driving, between the two locations? My wife is handicapped and with the locations being so far apart, it might make it difficult for her.

Any information would be helpful, thanks...

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We've spent some time in the Albuquerque area and I wouldn't want to drive that far during the height of rush hour...which I assume you'd have to in order to attend any early-morning events.

12 miles one way, 24 miles round trip. Unless you're prepared to stay at the event site for the entire day, only returning to your RV at the end of the day, you'd be racking up a lot of miles on your vehicle (not to mention $$ you'd spend on fuel).

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #3

I don't know but I would guess that handicapped are parked on the Fair Grounds and that buses are used to transport people back and forth between Balloon Fiesta camping area and the fairgrounds. There is a good bit of camping area on the Fair Grounds.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #4

Hi Bob,

I grew up and live in Albuquerque. I used to live very close to Balloon Fiesta Park and it indeed will be 12 miles to the Fair Grounds (Expo). If the busses are used you will want to take them and it will be easy. If you drive just do not drive during peak times. Get into the right lane on I25 South and it will take you to I40 East. Stay in the right lane until Louisiana Blvd, get off, turning right, and go in a couple blocks and you are there. I have driven my MoHo during rush hour, not fun, and used to commute out of town going the same route towards Moriarty. There is some construction on I40, just keep right. There is handicapped parking at Expo, so your wife and you will be pretty close although I am not certain which part of the area they will use. Feel free to email me as I will be glad to help with directions or questions. We will be taking a day pass during the event as we have a spot about a mile away.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
We are planning to go to The Rally but have decided we need a space with hookups. We are staying at the High Desert RV park, which I am told is about 12 miles from the Expo center.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #6

We are VERY glad that we decided to take a pass on this rally.

Many people will not be happy with this long commute.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #7

To bad Link. It's a great rally in a great place and the busses will be doing the driving while the passengars enjoy the sites.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I've got to agree with "Link", because as I mentioned in my original post my wife is handicapped and she gets tired easily and needs to go back to the motorhome to rest. Once rested she can then come back and continue. When the motorhome is just outside the gate, so to speak, of a Rally area she can easily shuttle back and forth on her 3-wheeled scooter and be back again in a short time, but a long bus trip clear back across town to the motorhome just doesn't work. Also it's not at all easy to get her scooter on a bus, if all all.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #9

Bob, do check with the rally people and see if handicap parking is on the fairgrounds therefore right at the rally site. I've not stayed on the fairgrounds since we lived locally and just drove in but I do know the fairgrounds are paved and was easy walking (YES I do realize your wife would be using a scooter). I'm sure the rally people would try to be as helpful as possible.

Tags
handicap