Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Worth going if not buying? TN shows

We just bought a 2008 Fleetwood Class A, so we’re not in the market for buying a new MH. So is it worth it to go to an RV show? What goes on at them? We’re interested in seminars to learn as much as we can, and in viewing accessories that we might not be able to see/find locally. Would an RV show be good for that? Specifically, I’m asking about either the Nashville RV show Jan 19-21 or the Memphis RV show in March. We’ll be driving (in our car) back from Huntsville, AL to Little Rock, AR on the 19th and could detour to Nashville. But is it worth the cost of a hotel for the night? Or would we be better served just driving over to Memphis for the day in March? Or is there a show in Little Rock?
Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #2

Not saying there all the same but every RV show I've gone to is just a big showroom for new RV's, sale pitches for campgrounds and resorts.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #3

Agree with hondavalk. We went to the Nashville show 2 years ago. No seminars or accessories to speak of. It was fun seeing the different layouts but not what we were looking for. For seminars better to go to mf's rallies.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

If you go to one of the larger shows like Hershey or Tampa there is more then new RVs (which is why they have the show). New products and seminars are becoming a larger part of these shows. I agree that the smaller shows are just dealers hawking their wares.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The vast majority of RV shows are just showrooms for dealer stock,very few accessory booths & several camping associations or campground booths. If you're interested in seminars, go to the large rallies (FMCA, Good Sam...etc), or even a regional chapter rally of one of those. FMA puts on a smaller rally (~300 RV's) & since you own a Fleetwood, you'd be eligible to join & attend.

BTW, congrats on your new-to-you Fiesta & welcome to the Fleetwood family.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Even though my wife and I won't upgrade for a couple years, we like to go to the shows to keep our "feet wet in the pool". I like to know what's going on in the industry and listen to the most recent "sales baloney"!

I always buy used between 1-3 years old, so the units I look at during the shows very well may end up in my driveway...OR NOT!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

I think we’ve decided to skip the Nashville show. Doesn’t sound like it’ll be worth our time and money. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
tcg

We have a big one in the Detroit area. We go because we like looking at all the overpriced accessories that give us ideas.

Plus, as another poster said, we like to pick out the RV we'll be buying used in 10 years.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
We just bought a 2008 Fleetwood Class A, so we’re not in the market for buying a new MH. So is it worth it to go to an RV show? What goes on at them? We’re interested in seminars to learn as much as we can, and in viewing accessories that we might not be able to see/find locally. Would an RV show be good for that? Specifically, I’m asking about either the Nashville RV show Jan 19-21 or the Memphis RV show in March. We’ll be driving (in our car) back from Huntsville, AL to Little Rock, AR on the 19th and could detour to Nashville. But is it worth the cost of a hotel for the night? Or would we be better served just driving over to Memphis for the day in March? Or is there a show in Little Rock?
Thanks!!
The best show in the area that I know of is the Atlanta RV Show, which I believe is sometime in February. It is HUGE, and all inside! Just Google it for the date.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
RV Shows vs Rallies

As NLOVNIT said a rally might provide what you seek. I attended the FMCA rally in Perry, GA a couple of years ago and had a blast. There were over 2000 coaches there I believe. There were so many seminars I wanted to attend I couldn't make them all so we are going again this March. There were plenty of vendors onsite and RV displays. One hint - either bring bicycles or a golf cart - it's a lot of walking to get back and forth from the camping areas.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #11

Try to make it to the Tampa supershow starting in just a couple of days. It has EVERYTHING. Even live entertainment! Every other “so called” show I have been to has been a joke....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7704.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	188976
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
I think we’ve decided to skip the Nashville show. Doesn’t sound like it’ll be worth our time and money. Thanks for your input!
Good choice.

We went to the Nashville show a couple of years ago and were very disappointed. There were only 3 or maybe 4 class As on display. That was it. Everything was towables. Lots and lots of trailers and 5th wheels. Very few outside vendors. We agreed it was a total waste of time and money for us. For someone in the market for a towable unit, it might have made sense.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Hersey Show is the way to go!

I have been to both Tampa and Hersey RV shows. Tampa had limited seminars while Hersey had a plethora of them. Better spend at Hersey.
Regards
Ditch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3960
Old 01-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #14

dissapointed

I went to the Nashville show,was excited cause I just bought a 15 windsport and was interested in comparing it to new class a's to kind of verify I made a good purchase,ck out accessories and vendors and such. there were about 15 small booths that really only had about 5 that were related to rv's unless I wanted to keep my gutters clean,or solve my aching back problem.
they had 3 or 4 class a's,lots of tt's,quite a few 5th wheels. the only good news was they had a windsport 34p(mines a 34f) and i'm glad to say I am very happy with the one I have.
it looked like all the rv's were from bankston motor homes. a fine seller i'm sure,i almost bought mine from them. but I was hoping to see a wide variety of
class a's and a lot more rv parks represented. The Chattanooga show is coming up next month and I was thinking about camping nearby for the weekend and going to the show but now I'm wondering if that's a disappointment also.

Tags
buying