Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone driven 101 from Northern CA to Oregon in the winter? Have to go to Portland, Oregon in December, and instead of taking 5 over the Siskyous, which can be dicey, I am wondering if the coast route may be a better choice...I realize it won't be as fast, but certainly more scenic...need some feedback!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone driven 101 from Northern CA to Oregon in the winter? Have to go to Portland, Oregon in December, and instead of taking 5 over the Siskyous, which can be dicey, I am wondering if the coast route may be a better choice...I realize it won't be as fast, but certainly more scenic...need some feedback!!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You trying to avoid visiting me Teofff? !!

Sacs actually encountered snow on the coast in November of 1994 ...but the coastal route was taken to avoid the possibility of snow a couple of times also. One of the last times going home we almost had to chain up. We pulled over to get them out..and then they opened the pass up. The one suggestion is to try to hit the pass mid-day...or go the very long and possibly dicey coastal route...and let Gloria and the dogs enjoy the view while you watch the road!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

There is certainly less risk of "winter weather" [i.e. snow & ice] taking US101 rather than I-5 during the winder months. However, the trip will be slower and longer than I-5 from San Francisco. [635 miles via I-5; 700 miles via US101 to Lincoln City, OR then NE on OR18}.

It would still be my choice because of the scenery and less traffic. It is a rare occasion that the coastal route gets snow/ice, but during the winter, rain and fog can be elements to contend with.

If you have a choice of when you go, check the weather reports 10 days in advance and go for it.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know where you would cut over to get to Portland so this may not apply. I drove Astoria to Santa Rosa last July, 37' plus the toad. Between the rain and the fog is was a very harrowing drive from Astoria to Tillamook. I can't imagine driving that stretch in the winter with the same rig. Just my 2 cents worth.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
WThomas1..
Two places that I know of to cut over would be at Reedsport or Florence. Either one will get you back to I-5 and still let you avoidthe Siskiyou pass. It will bring you in south of Eugene(from Reedsport Hwy 38 ...or is it 138?) or on the north end of Eugene (Florence-Mapleton area Hwy 126) With all the road construction on the south side of Eugene ..and south of there- I would choose 126 from Florence),
Either way...you will avoid the northern end of Hwy 101 in Oregon.

(PS.. I drove that route ..actually from Florence to Warrenton this past October for a job interview on a very rainy morning in a car... and I can understand why you would feel that way...but there was some breath taking views that I wanted to stop for once the weather cleared.. .but I also wanted to make it back to Florence before it got dark..oh well.. that trip will be made again t a much more enjoyable pace in the future!)

Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monaco Mama

Thank you for the information. We are going to Calgary in July for the Stampede. We plan on returning via Vancouver, Seattle, etc. I was wondering how to see the lower half of the Oregon coast without driving the upper half.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am going to start making it mandatory that ALL iRV2 OR Monaco folks must stop in Eugene to introduce themselves to me! I will become the "Toll Troll" of Central Oregon!
PS.. I better post that I am kidding - otherwise Rebelsbeach will team up with the Oregon Govenor to get rid of me for fear of everyone either giving up their iRV2 membership and avoiding Oregon !!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback....We are leaving about Dec 14th, so I guess I will wait until then to decide which route would be better...I know either way, we have to stop overnight in Eugene to pay the toll troll, drink some wine and say hi, and let Sammy and Charlie visit with the pins...but as everyone said...you just never know what the weather will be, and I don't own chains for the DIP, and wouldn't want to chain it up anyway!!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi teoff,
I agree with MonacoMama, take the Florence route. we were just on that road a week ago going to the beach. Absolutely beautiful. There was rain and fog and some curvy roads, but all of the trees were cut back for big rigs. There was some bridge construction but it only held up traffic for a few minutes.
Good luck!
AKBrick

P.S. MonacoMama, Sheesh! I feel sufficiently scolded for not stopping by. It won't happen again. Really. I promise. Don't beat me!