Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
101 in Oregon?

We are currently in Seattle and when we leave we are headed south. We want to see the coast in Oregon. Rv is 35ft pulling a towed. Can we do 101 or should we get a park off of I5 and drive the car to the coast.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

Hi... Just left that area very recently (Newport) and you will see all kinds of RVs driving the 101, so just get ready to enjoy! Be sure to stop at the many Oregon state rest area type scenic pull-overs. My wife just said use trip advisor, things to do in Newport, as there were many spectacular scenic stops both north and south of Newport (within 50 miles)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	139315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	139316  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	139317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	139318  

jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

You will be fine and will see some fabulous coastal sights. Oregon State Parks are also pretty nice to stay in. You might be a bit big for some parks but will fit in some.

Have a great trip.
DRKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The drive down from Astoria to about Tillamook is very winding but very doable. The logging trucks coming at you can be intimidating but it is a beautiful drive. I did it in a 39' with a Toad. Take your time and pull over and let faster traffic go by when you can.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #5

101 is easy with your rig. We love the Oregon Coast. Tillamook, OR, you might like the Cheese/Ice Cream Factory. Lots of Lighthouses on the coast. The Dunes are quite interesting if you have or like sand toys. Our favorite campground on the Dunes is near Coos Bay called Horsfal Campground, no hook ups, but easy Dune access. Another favorite RV Park near Coos Bay is called Oceanside RV Park on Cape Arago Hwy. We love Harris Beach in Brookings OR. There is a very reasonable RV Park there called Beachfront RV Park. The best Clam Chowder is on the dock, in Brookings, OR at the Hungry Clam. We have a DP and a TOAD and no problems on 101. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mike, I just did basically the same drive starting Thursday of this past week. We caught 101 around Port Ludlow Wa. I will tell you that you can do it, just be prepared for a lot of curves and ups and downs. It tired me out. We stopped just North of Coos Bay. I told my Wife I couldn't take another day of that type of driving.
There are lots of RV parks/campgrounds/resorts along the coast. I will be doing the rest of the coast starting in CA going North by car.
Where is your end distination?

Bob
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our favorite RV Park on the coast is Winchester Bay RV Resort. Every site has a water view. There is a great sea food restaurant on the water called Unger Bay Fish and Chips.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #8

Definitely take 101 but stop and enjoy the scenery. It's not a route to drive straight through. I'd recommend at least three stops - Astoria, midway around Florence and at the south end. Then you'll be able to explore the whole coast. We've done this quite often and absolutely love the drive.

Stay at the state parks. They're great and most are just fine for big rigs. Our 40' fit in Fort Stevens, Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Carl Washburne, Harris Beach and Cape Blanco.

To us, driving a 40' MH, it's a very pleasant highway. Coming from the north is the best way. Then the many pullouts/scenic viewing areas are on the passenger side. When ready to leave you don't have to cross traffic.

When you get into California 101 is also good for a big RV but don't be tempted to get on Hwy 1 - completely different.

Enjoy the trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #9

Spent many nights in winchester bay as a teenager. Would head over to the coast about every other weekend to go ride 4 wheelers and go crabbing. I miss that area so much
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Best way for RVs is going south down 101 so it is easy to pull in the the scenic pullouts along the way. Very difficult to do going north. Have fun.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Mike, I just did basically the same drive starting Thursday of this past week. We caught 101 around Port Ludlow Wa. I will tell you that you can do it, just be prepared for a lot of curves and ups and downs. It tired me out. We stopped just North of Coos Bay. I told my Wife I couldn't take another day of that type of driving.
There are lots of RV parks/campgrounds/resorts along the coast. I will be doing the rest of the coast starting in CA going North by car.
Where is your end distination?

Bob
Bob we are heading on into California, wanting to see some of the coast, San Francisco, Seqouia National park and what ever else we find. Then heading east back to Ohio. Then in Jan will head for Cortez, Fl for 3 months. Then stay home in Ohio for the summer.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #12

Mike:

I can't imagine actually choosing to stay in Ohio in the summer. Any time humidity gets above 70% with a temp above 70 degrees, I want to be as far away as possible. We lived in Tidewater VA for three of the most miserable years of my adult life, after I got laid off by Boeing.

Three o'clock in the afternoon, overcast skies, temp approaching 95F and the daily 3 pm thunderstorm raging (3" of rain in 45 minutes) was as close to Hell as I ever want to get.When Boeing offered to rehire me, I almost bit their hands off!

Now retired (since 1999 at 57) and living in Anacortes, WA, I hope NEVER to have to relocate unless I'm wearing a wooden overcoat. There are enough retirement/assisted living places in Anacortes, I don't think I'll have to move, except within town.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure to stop at Depoe Bay to watch the charter boats returning thru thr bar into the tiny harbor, exciting to watch.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
101 is just not a hard drive.
A few curves, a couple small hills and some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see.