Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
101 or 5, CA to Oregon

We will be near San Francisco, staying in Pacifica to see family for a few days late May or early June. My question regards the routes north from Pacifica to Seaside Oregon.

We are traveling in our Southwind motorhome (about 33') with CRV toad. I haven't driven 101 in that area for over 20 years, and that was in a car. Being full timers, we are in no particular hurry. My concern is sharp twists and turns, no gas stations, etc... We are Thousand Trails members and will use those campgrounds in areas where they are available.

So, is 101 going south to north any particular problem for a rig our size, and should I consider taking the 5 and cutting over?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

101 will be no problem. It's generally recommended to travel 101 N-S as the ocean view pull outs are on the west side, but if you will be moving between TT preserves and sightseeing with your toad, then it won't matter much. Have a great trip!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

There are some slow sections on 101 but nothing that your rig can’t handle.
The TTS at Pacifica and Florence are in woody areas, be prepared for lot of shade. Long Beach TT is better, LaCooner some in clear spots.
Reservations are needed as soon as you can make them.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We do the same trip as you, occasionally. We leave Pacifica and wend our way to the GG Bridge via Great Highway and Geary St, Left to Lake St...and left to GGB. (Stay away from Bay Bridge and Oakland/East /Bay areas.)

North to Hi 37 at Novato and to I 80 to Hi 505 to I 5. Rest stops along the way and we stay at Redding RV park. Same route southbound.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One of my favorite areas. Have a serious look at #1 (PCH) for a ways. Very scenic, and you can take your time.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Been that way several times but we are usually traveling north to south. I would stay away from Hwy 1 in California because of the curvy section between the coast and Leggett on 101.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

101 from San Francisco is just fine for all sizes RVs. We've done it with our 40'. It's Hwy 1 that would give you problems.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Been that way several times but we are usually traveling north to south. I would stay away from Hwy 1 in California because of the curvy section between the coast and Leggett on 101.
Rockport to Leggett is a bit of a twisty road, but OK with a 33 foot MH and a CRV. South of Rockport is great. Lots of views of the ocean and places to pull over and have lunch or just hike around.
And who wouldn't want to spend some time in Mendocino?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You won't find many TTN parks - there's the Encore park in Pacifica, then Russian River Resort, up near Cloverdale, then nothing until you're well into Oregon.

As for the route - 101 will be no problem, once you get over the Golden Gate Bridge. You'll be driving through some quaint small towns, but the road is good enough for any size rig. If you're really adventurous you COULD try Hwy 1, but it is narrow, twisty, and not something I would take MY motorhome on. We've done it in our smart car and it was a lot of work. Somebody mentioned a stop in Mendocino - we drove through it and there is 1 gas station in the Village, and their gas was over $6 per gallon, when the rest of the state was paying around $3 per gallon! OF course Ft Breagg is only about 20 miles north and their prices were more reasonable. I imagine everything else in the Village would be comparable in price, so hang on to your wallet if you stop for any shopping...
Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I think we will plan to go around the GG Bridge and reconnect with 101 North. The Redwoods are something we would like to see and spend some time in the area. Yes, we're aware that there are gaps in Thousand Trails parks locations and have no problem using other options.

I'm using a combination of a large Good Sam RV atlas, Good Sam Trip Planner, Allstays & RV Parky apps. Anyone using anything else that I should consider?

Thanks!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

Park Advisor.....Free Camp...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
kf6.....do you mean go over the Bay Bridge or other East Bay bridges to get to 101 N ?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

Hwy 101 is no problem. Hwy 1 comes in and out and then quits north of Fort Bragg. The redwoods are beautiful and you want to be on Hwy 1 for that. Some of the roads over to 101 or 5 are pretty twisty. Some small hippie towns along the way. If you have time though, go for it. Ferndale is pretty nice and up north of Orick are some really large redwoods. Lots of places to pull over along Hwy 1 and close to the ocean. We have a 45 ft. and a toad and I'd take Hwy 1, there's just so much to see. I used to travel from the bay area to Orick a lot, but that was in a car. The is a road that will take you over to 5 from Crescent City, Medford or Grants Pass, as I recall, along the Smith River, which is one of the cleanest in the country, but the road is twisty. I would also add that Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 are two in the same for a lot of the route.
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #14

That would be hwy 199....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote