Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
101S To I-5S via CA-20

In about a week I'm heading to Las Vegas taking I-5 S then OR-38 to 101. My original plan was to continue on 101 then take I-580 back to I-5/99 to Bakersfield. I've read here a while back that a member took CA-20 to get back to I-5. To anyone that took this route, is it OK for a MH w/a toad?

With the unpredictable weather on the Siskiyous and the other higher elevations in OR/CA, I'd like to take the extra precaution in driving on the lower elevations and avoiding the "white stuff". I did the same route last year but I took 101 all the way to SD.

Appreciate any input/comments about CA-20. TIA.

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
laj

If your only reason for taking 101 is to avoid the white stuff i wouldn't do it that way. You only have a max of 6 hrs. And the weather doesn't change that fast. If you don't have to leave on a certain day/ time just pick the forecast you are comfortable with. While 101 can be a scenic drive i wouldn't do it that time of yr. just because i felt I had to. I have done i-5 mid winter and had bare pavement all the way. Jmho

Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

I would not take my mh on 20 between 101 and i5. I usually take old lakeville hwy past Infinion raceway into Valejo and catch 80 to hwy 12 to i5. Much better drive
Old lakeville exits just south of Petaluma. If you miss it you can take 37 out of San rafial. 158 is south of San Francisco and you will end up on surface streets in SF (not good) to connect with 158
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We just took the hwy 20 route from I5 over to 101 and it was very user friendly. We have a 40'er pulling a car on a dolly. As per suggestions from other members, we took the Hwy 53 turn off just before you hit Clear Lake (left turn after a downhill grade) and rt on 29 in Lower Lake. It takes you on the south side of the lake and avoids twisty road on the north side. Hooks back up to hwy 20 and then onto 101. We weren't in a hurry and loved the view rather than the speed of I5
Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
We just took the hwy 20 route from I5 over to 101 and it was very user friendly. We have a 40'er pulling a car on a dolly. As per suggestions from other members, we took the Hwy 53 turn off just before you hit Clear Lake (left turn after a downhill grade) and rt on 29 in Lower Lake. It takes you on the south side of the lake and avoids twisty road on the north side. Hooks back up to hwy 20 and then onto 101. We weren't in a hurry and loved the view rather than the speed of I5
x2 use it a couple times a year 40 footer with toad, excellent road
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi everyone - OP here, sorry for not acknowledging right away your responses - got hit by the flu bug and just felt a little better today.

stich: I'll be taking it from 101 to I-5, not the other way around.

laj: you're right - that's the only reason why I'd like to avoid I-5 this time of the year.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post

stich: I'll be taking it from 101 to I-5, not the other way around.
Right, please feel free to print out post and turn upside down.