Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campcrew View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I now have reservations at Trailer Village RV park for the Grand Canyon. The only time that I could get is 2 weeks earlier so I will be trimming some of the first few stops and changing my reservations at Lake Powell (Wahweap) earlier. That will allow me to add some time in Colorado before making my way to my reservations at Colter Bay. On our way back from Yellowstone we will be visiting Devils Tower, Rushmore/Black Hills, and Badlands. I have to work more on that part of the trip since the timing after we leave Yellowstone runs into the rally in Sturgis. I'm concerned with finding room at the campgrounds nearby so I may have to change the route or add some more time before going that way (maybe add a trip to Glacier). I'll update for more suggestions once I confirm the change to my Lake Powell reservations and check out the return leg.

If your a GEORGE Custer fan, just south of Hardin Wyoming is custers last stand.
A surreal place to visit.
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great trip I have been doing only a month long trip each summer for the past six years and visited many of the areas you are planning to see. A couple of suggestions - Don't try to see it all and have no regrets in passing things up. Make a list of possible stops for future trips.

I made reservations at all places because that is my level of comfort but I found that spaces were available at most non-touristy locations. At least I didn't have to take time each day to plan for a place to stay. Summer time at some of the National Parks are full of visitors. We did the Grand Canyon in August the campground had spaces but the place was pack with bus tour visitors and it was HOT. At Yellowstone the same time of year the campground was packed probably because it was cooler and there was plenty of visitors. Starting in Early April you might be OK with the heat.

Another tip is you'll find sightseeing takes less time than you plan for. I found when I plan four days (five nights) at one location I ended up with an extra time. I now try to schedule less times at a location and what I don't see I chalk it up to rule one "don't try to see it all and have no regrets in passing things up". '

Another thing that many don't mention is that when you take one of these trip you'll want to share it with family and friends. Some people do diaries other do blogs, or If you take pictures pick the best of the best and get them printed in a photo book you can get online. We get flat Christmas ornaments from each place and hang them on the top border trim in the RV. We also have a pin board to display pins from our stops. Others do decals or bumper stickers. We also carry a loose leaf binder and a three hole punch and put the campground maps, menus, church bulletins, brochures of places we visited, etc. in the binder.

Colter Bay to West Yellowstone - while the mapping programs won't route you through Yellowstone NP you can go through Yellowstone NP to the West Entrance. We stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and did a day trip to the Tetons and we left via the West Entrance to Idaho. The roads in Yellowstone are 45mph but nice and wide and in the morning hours there was little traffic.

This summer heading that way again and I have already booked two nights at the KOA at the foot of Devil's Tower, three nights at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and two nights at Colter Bay. My trip will be mid-July to mid-August. Doing Idaho, Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon and upper Nevada before heading eastbound. Hope to lock down the route by the end of the month.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
That will be a nice 5 month trip. We were in Panguitch in 2016 and had a blast. Then went on to Moab. Lots to see and do in both places.
Tony, what campground did you stay at in Panguitch and would you recommend it? Thanks
Campcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
10 days is a lot of time at Grand Lake. Beautiful area. History of a nutcase on a D8 cat trying to wreck the entire town of Granby. (Google that) Rocky Mtn Nat Park is a beautiful place but with a big 5er can be interesting going from east to west and/or west to east. Hiking in the area? Plenty!
Suggest you take the old Trail Ridge Rd from Estes Park to the top of the pass. It is one way going up, narrow and beautiful scenery. Gravel and unpaved but worth the journey for the wildlife you will see.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

Thanks to your suggestions I have updated my trip out to Yellowstone with additional stops, a couple of new reservations and a side trip to see and listen to Santana in Las Vegas.

Any additional thoughts before I switch over to mapping out the trip back?

Starting on April 9th these are the stops that I am looking at:

Asheville - 3 nights - Lake Powhatan - breweries, hiking, visiting friends

Nashville - 2 nights - Seven Points - Parthenon, Honky tonks

West Memphis - 2 nights - Tom Sawyer - nature trails, Beale Street

Hot Springs - 4 nights - Gulpha Gorge or Catherine's Landing - Crater of Diamonds, Tower, baths, Mount Ida

Lake Tawakoni State Park (Wills Point TX) - 3 nights - Fishing, biking, geocache (Blue Bird Cafe - catfish)

Abilene - 2 nights - Whistle Stop RV - Paramount Theater

Carlsbad NM (Brantley or Carlsbad RV or BLM land) - 2 nights - caverns

Capitan, NM - 3 nights - Mama Bear RV Park - visit Lincoln Historic Site, Smokey Bear Museum

Oliver Lee State Park - 3 nights - White sands, pistachio farm

Valley of Fire recreation area or Three Rivers Petroglyph - 2 nights - visit lava field, Three Rivers Petroglyph

Albuquerque NM - 3 nights - High Desert RV - Breaking Bad sights, Balloon Museum

Homolovi State Park AZ - 3 nights - Winslow, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest Natl Park, ruins

Grand Canyon - 3 nights - Trailer Village Park - Grand Canyon

Kingman AZ - 1 night - Fort Beale RV Park

Las Vegas - 5 nights - ?? - Santana concert...other

Phoenix AZ - 4 nights - Visit friends in Phoenix

Cottonwood AZ - 5 nights - Dead Horse Ranch State Park - Pink Jeep tours, kayak Verde river, Montezuma castle, fishing, trails, Tuzigoot Natl Monument

Gouldings Campground Utah - 4 nights - Monument Valley

Lake Powell - 6 nights - Wahweap Campground - kayak Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Dixie National forest. Glen Canyon. Wahweap Hoodoo trail

Panguitch Utah - 5 nights - Red Canyon RV Park - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Natural Bridge, Grand Staircase Escalante

Moab Utah - 5 nights - Arches, Canyonlands

Mancos CO - 4 nights - Mesa Verde RV Resort - Mesa Verde National Park

Ridgeway CO - 4 nights - Ridgeway State Park - San Juan natl forest, Ouray, Telluride, Black Canyon of Gunnison, off-road tour out of Silverton

Rifle CO - 2 nights - Rifle Gap State Park

Grand Lake CO - 7 nights - Elk Creek Campground & RV Park - Rocky Mountain National Park

Hayden CO - 4 nights - Yampa River State Park - kayaking, hiking, fishing, Dinosaur National Monument

Rock Springs WY - 2 nights - Sweetwater Events Complex - visit Flaming Gorge

Boulder WY - 3 nights - Highline Trail RV Park - Mountain Man Museum, hiking Bridger Wilderness

Jackson WY - 4 nights - Curtis Canyon Campground - visit Jackson Hole Rodeo, Jackson

Colter Bay Village - 7 nights - Grand Teton National Park

Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park - 7 nights - Yellowstone Natl Park

We have reservations at Trailer Village Park, Wahweap, Colter Bay and Yellowstone. Are there other campgrounds that I should make reservations ahead of time? Are there any campgrounds that you might suggest outside of those I mentioned?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Tony, what campground did you stay at in Panguitch and would you recommend it? Thanks
We stayed at the Panguitch KOA and yes I would recommend it. Extremely well maintained with very friendly camp hosts.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Thanks to your suggestions I have updated my trip out to Yellowstone with additional stops, a couple of new reservations and a side trip to see and listen to Santana in Las Vegas.

Any additional thoughts before I switch over to mapping out the trip back?

Starting on April 9th these are the stops that I am looking at:

Asheville - 3 nights - Lake Powhatan - breweries, hiking, visiting friends

Nashville - 2 nights - Seven Points - Parthenon, Honky tonks

West Memphis - 2 nights - Tom Sawyer - nature trails, Beale Street

Hot Springs - 4 nights - Gulpha Gorge or Catherine's Landing - Crater of Diamonds, Tower, baths, Mount Ida

Lake Tawakoni State Park (Wills Point TX) - 3 nights - Fishing, biking, geocache (Blue Bird Cafe - catfish)

Abilene - 2 nights - Whistle Stop RV - Paramount Theater

Carlsbad NM (Brantley or Carlsbad RV or BLM land) - 2 nights - caverns

Capitan, NM - 3 nights - Mama Bear RV Park - visit Lincoln Historic Site, Smokey Bear Museum

Oliver Lee State Park - 3 nights - White sands, pistachio farm

Valley of Fire recreation area or Three Rivers Petroglyph - 2 nights - visit lava field, Three Rivers Petroglyph

Albuquerque NM - 3 nights - High Desert RV - Breaking Bad sights, Balloon Museum

I'd steal a day from here^

Homolovi State Park AZ - 3 nights - Winslow, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest Natl Park, ruins

Grand Canyon - 3 nights - Trailer Village Park - Grand Canyon

Kingman AZ - 1 night - Fort Beale RV Park

Las Vegas - 5 nights - ?? - Santana concert...other

Phoenix AZ - 4 nights - Visit friends in Phoenix

Cottonwood AZ - 5 nights - Dead Horse Ranch State Park - Pink Jeep tours, kayak Verde river, Montezuma castle, fishing, trails, Tuzigoot Natl Monument

Gouldings Campground Utah - 4 nights - Monument Valley

I'd steal a day or two from here^ - Even with Goosenecks and Mexican Hat - but just a thought

Lake Powell - 6 nights - Wahweap Campground - kayak Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Dixie National forest. Glen Canyon. Wahweap Hoodoo trail

Panguitch Utah - 5 nights - Red Canyon RV Park - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Natural Bridge, Grand Staircase Escalante

If at all possible stay in/at each National Park a couple days^^ - and the State Parks a day - if you grabbed those days from earlie use a few here.

Moab Utah - 5 nights - Arches, Canyonlands

RT 128 is special - look this info over for all of Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

Mancos CO - 4 nights - Mesa Verde RV Resort - Mesa Verde National Park

I'd steal a day from here^ or more - if you got to Mesa Verde stay at Mesa Verde - JMHO - Get the Ranger tour

Ridgeway CO - 4 nights - Ridgeway State Park - San Juan natl forest, Ouray, Telluride, Black Canyon of Gunnison, off-road tour out of Silverton

I'd ADD A WEEK here^ Ridgway will require RESERVATIONS - one of the most popular SP's in Colorado

Rifle CO - 2 nights - Rifle Gap State Park

Skip Rifle and try to find a few days - like 5+ and go to to Salida on RT 50 then up to Buena Vista/Collegiates - Twin Lakes and Independence Pass RT 82 - Arkansas River FUN!

Grand Lake CO - 7 nights - Elk Creek Campground & RV Park - Rocky Mountain National Park

Unless you are a Big Hiker this might be a little long with the Crowds^ - If you are a hiker you will need More Time - Reservations Here

Hayden CO - 4 nights - Yampa River State Park - kayaking, hiking, fishing, Dinosaur National Monument

Look at seeing Stagecoach SP and Steamboat Lake SP - if you decide to, you will need reservations - if you do Dino stay at Dino on the Green River

Rock Springs WY - 2 nights - Sweetwater Events Complex - visit Flaming Gorge

Boulder WY - 3 nights - Highline Trail RV Park - Mountain Man Museum, hiking Bridger Wilderness

Jackson WY - 4 nights - Curtis Canyon Campground - visit Jackson Hole Rodeo, Jackson

I would try to split this time this with Cody - just a personal preference

Colter Bay Village - 7 nights - Grand Teton National Park

Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park - 7 nights - Yellowstone Natl Park

Beartooth and Chief Joseph HWY not to be missed

We have reservations at Trailer Village Park, Wahweap, Colter Bay and Yellowstone. Are there other campgrounds that I should make reservations ahead of time? Are there any campgrounds that you might suggest outside of those I mentioned?
This Is EPIC - great Job,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Busskipper. These places all have a lot more to see than what you have listed. This will give you a reason to go do it again. If you decide to add things in I would take a look at the Texas Hill country, Big Bend NP, all the NP’s in Utah. I prefer the north rim to the south rim of the GCNP. You need to see both to decide. Take the hikes in Zion and rent the jeeps in Moab. Moab alone takes over a week.
When it gets hot move up into high country. There are still quite a few places where you can boondock out here to cut costs.
We have done the things out here, we are going East this year. We are heading out in a couple of weeks. We plan to be in Gaffeny SC in late March and then move over to Charlotte NC.

What in your neck of the woods do you recommend?

Have a blast and make memories.
CLP4
CLP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP4 View Post
I agree with Busskipper. These places all have a lot more to see than what you have listed. This will give you a reason to go do it again. If you decide to add things in I would take a look at the Texas Hill country, Big Bend NP, all the NP’s in Utah. I prefer the north rim to the south rim of the GCNP. You need to see both to decide. Take the hikes in Zion and rent the jeeps in Moab. Moab alone takes over a week.
When it gets hot move up into high country. There are still quite a few places where you can boondock out here to cut costs.
We have done the things out here, we are going East this year. We are heading out in a couple of weeks. We plan to be in Gaffeny SC in late March and then move over to Charlotte NC.

What in your neck of the woods do you recommend?

Have a blast and make memories.
CLP4
Where in Charlotte will you be visiting? There aren't many campgrounds in Charlotte. I have only stayed in a couple in the area. South of Charlotte in the town of Waxhaw is a Union county park called Cane Creek. The ones that have sewer are level while many others are not. Southwest of Charlotte is McDowell Nature Preserve, a Mecklenburg county park. There are 13 RV sites with only a couple that are fairly level. South of Charlotte there is a KOA in Ft. Mill (South Carolina) that I have not been to and a campground next to Carowinds amusement park, which I have also not been to. The only other campgrounds that I have been to in the immediate area is the KOA in Statesville (north of Charlotte) and Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury (northeast of Charlotte). I only stayed one night at the KOA while checking out my camper that had just had some items fixed at the nearby Camping World. The last time I was at Dan Nicholas I had a smaller hybrid. I do not know how a larger rig would fair. There are a few amusements there that kids have fun with.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

RT 128 is special - look this info over for all of Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm
Wow. What a tremendous amount of information for the Moab area.Thanks for all of your suggestions. I made reservation for Ridgway and Portal but struck out on Grand Lake area so will wait until we get in the area and check out Sunset Point or Willow Creek.

Return trip via Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota is next. If I don't go north to Glacier then I'll cut thru Yellowstone and make Cody my first stop.I'll need to make a few stops prior to getting near Stugis (I leave West Yellowstone the day the rally starts) so that I won't run into any issues finding a place to camp near that area.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #25

Sounds like a great trip and wish I were going too. Several folks have suggested cutting time here and there and depending on your goals that may be the right thing to do but for me, I don't want the schedule so packed as to be committed to something every day for 5 months as I occasionally want to relax and do nothing, putter around the coach, wash the car, go to the store, etc. So if you were at home would you want to be busy, including some tiring driving, every day for 5 months - maybe I'm just old :-).
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip