Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #1

We have 5 days we can spend in the Seattle area.
(Family of 5, girls are ages 10-17)
On my list so far:

Space Needle
Mt. Rainer
Boeing (me only, wife and kids don't care)

What else should we counsider 'must see' items?

We also want to make a day trip up to BC so we can add it to the map. :-) What would be a good family activity in Vancouver?

Thanks.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #2

We have 5 days we can spend in the Seattle area.
(Family of 5, girls are ages 10-17)
On my list so far:

Space Needle
Mt. Rainer
Boeing (me only, wife and kids don't care)

What else should we counsider 'must see' items?

We also want to make a day trip up to BC so we can add it to the map. :-) What would be a good family activity in Vancouver?

Thanks.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There are a ton of interesting things to do "around" the Seattle area. We generally stay in 2 separate locations to take best advantage and spend 4-5 days in each. We just day trip into Seattle with the toad.

If you stay in Port Townsend, WA you can stay at Fort Worden State Park. Fort Worden is an old WWII era coastal artillery defense fort. It is located right on the Straits of San Juan and the campground is a real treat. You need to reserve early for summer sites and the lower (beach) campground is the way to go. The kids (and adults ) can crawl all around the old gun emplacements, bunkers, etc. Plus it's very convenient to Port Townsend's downtown area. PT is full of great restaurants and is an old victorian seaport with some really neat architecture. Be sure to stop at The Elevated ice cream shop - it's a classic. It's also a great base camp for day tripping in Olympic Nat'l Park's Hurricane Ridge area and Sol Duc Hot Springs. If you head out to nearby Sequim, you can drive through the Olympic Game Farm, which is the old Beebee ranch where Lloyd Beebee did all the filming for Walt Disney's animal movies. You can feed and pet bison, elk, llamas, etc. You can even throw bread to grizzly bears (but you can't pet them unless you want to be called "lefty" for the rest of your life ).

The second location is Anacortes, WA. We stay at Fidalgo Bay RV Resort when here. Again, ask for the lower campground which is right on the bay. Anacortes is another great place. It's here where you can take the ferry to San Juan Island for a great day trip, take an excellent whale watching cruise (Orcas), and day trip to Seattle. Last time we arrived in Anacortes we took the North Cascades Nat'l Park road from east to west. After 5 days in Anacortes we drove down Whidbey Island and put the Bus ion a ferry from Keystone to Port Townsend. After spending another 5 days in Port Townsend we drove around the Olympic Peninsula, stopping off at the Hoh Rain Forest, and then boondocked right on the Pacific Ocean by a state campground called South Beach, just south of Kalaloch, for $8 a night and hiked on the beach watching bald eagles and sunsets in the evening.

If time is tighter, just take I-5 south from Port Townsend but be sure to stop off at Mount St. Helens. Take the west entrance in and take the RV all the way to the Johnson Ridge Visitor Center at the end. You won't believe how amazing the view is. I climbed it last summer and looked into the crater from the rim but it "burped" last October so I don't think they will be allowing climbing this summer because the lava dome is rebuilding.

As far as Seattle itself, I personally can't spend more than a day there because there's way too much stuff to do "around" it, than "in" it. We always stop at Pike Place Market (bring a cooler to load up on seafood deals). We've seen the Space Needle but unless you want to spend $50 for a family of 4 just to take the elevator I can't see it. A 3/4 mile walk down from Pike Place takes you to Pioneer Square, where you can take the Seattle Underground Tour and walk underneath the streets of Seattle and hear about the early Seattle culture - it's very interesting and the tour guides turn it into a real comedy show and make it very entertaining. We skipped the Boeing tour but our friends took it. It is a big building and is impressive in it's size but we spent that day taking the ferry to San Juan Island where we saw the American Camp and English Camp NPS sites from the "pig war", visited Friday Harbor (Free Willy was filmed here), watched bald eagles at Lime Kiln Point State Park, and visited the Whale Museum there.

There's lots to do and not enough time to see it all. I hope some of these ideas will help you decide what you are most interested in.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #4

Take the ferry from Port Orchard to Victoria,BC
Old 05-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #5

When in Seattle, don't miss the Flight Museum. Lots a great airplane displays and the Concord is there. You can walk thru it, as well as an Air Force One. Also the Expeience Music Project at the Seattle Center is pretty cool. A good aquarium down on Elliot Bay; also the locks are interesting to see. As mentioned St. Helens is a good thing to see.

Hope this helps.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #6

I mean Port Angelis to Victoria!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
isa

Triple E Owners Club
You didn't say how long you will be in Vancouver but I would suggest a visit to Stanley Park. There you can visit the Aquarium, Totem Pole exhibit, have a picnic and if you have bicycles a trip around the park where you will see freighters / cruise ships, Lion's Gate bridge and a host of beautiful scenic views. If you don't have bicycles with you , rentals are available.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
5 Days in Seattle? Where are you staying? That would help us help you. If you are going to Vancouver BC then you want to see the Aquarium.OH there is so much to do. What kind of things do you ALL like to do?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #9

Been there Done that,
I would try the Children's Museum. As I recall this was an interactive museum with lots of exhibits that the children you have would find interesting. I do not recall the address but try a google search for Seattle Museum.
Lorne
00, Safari Trek
Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #10

If $$ isn't totally objectionable, a day trip to Victoria could be done without driving. Its a little pricy but goes downtown to downtown, and there are many things to do within easy walk from the ferry terminal.

There are other options as well here.

The link also does train rides (overnight) to Vancouver.

Vancouver would be a bit of a long haul day trip(driving) depending on border traffic, then from the Canadian side(border) to anything is at least an hour.

Victoria has a neat waterfront (shameless plug-I live nearby), right where the clipper docks. There are quite a few things to do there.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rose:
Take the ferry from Port Orchard to Victoria,BC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No! No! ...I believe you mean Port Angeles to Victoria, BCC. One might have a verrrrry long wait for a ferry from our neighbor city of Port Orchard.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote