Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've driven on Hwy 60 dozens of times over the last 40 years in many types of vehicles including a 33 ft RV with the 275 hp V10 with toad. I never gave it a thought that it could be any kind of problem, it was just another road. A little up, a little down, some curves. Construction could change that, but that can happen on any highway. Just drive it like you know what your doing.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Can someone tell me where Hwy 60 is as the only part I’ve driven is a short piece between I215 and I10. Don’t recall grades or curves out of the ordinary.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed boats, toy haulers and my fifth wheel trailer on the 60 for at least 40 years, most recently in November last year on my way back to OC.

Yes, it's twisty in spots, a few ups and downs, some speeders that think they can drive, lots of semi's. Never been an issue for us. Choke point is returning on the 215 as it feeds the 91, has always been this way. Bumper to bumper for that stretch, even though they improved the interchange at the 91.

I you are not used to this type of road, now is a good time to get comfortable driving it. Don't go during rush hour traffic, stay to the right and relax. Not all roads are straight and flat.

My 2 cents.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Can someone tell me where Hwy 60 is as the only part I’ve driven is a short piece between I215 and I10. Don’t recall grades or curves out of the ordinary.
Yep, that's the section he's referring to. A whopping 3 mile difference from staying on the 10.
For real towing fun, try S22 (Montezuma grade) from Ranchita to Borrego Springs. That road will hone your towing skills!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #19

I-60 through what we call the bad lands has lane restrications for about 6 1/2 miles. That means any vehicle towing MUST remain in the right lane, no passing. This is a heavy truck route, so you may be stuck behind a slow vehicle.

Since it’s only 2 lanes in each direction, if there is construction or an accident it becomes a parking lot.

That being said after dozens of trips it’s still my preferred route.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
I-60 through what we call the bad lands has lane restrications for about 6 1/2 miles. That means any vehicle towing MUST remain in the right lane, no passing. This is a heavy truck route, so you may be stuck behind a slow vehicle.

Since it’s only 2 lanes in each direction, if there is construction or an accident it becomes a parking lot.

That being said after dozens of trips it’s still my preferred route.
LOL....I've had semi's pass me on that route several times, both directions. Seems some of them run out of patience following me at a comfortable speed. It's their ticket.
Years ago we saw a ski boat and tow vehicle down in a gully along that route....guess he was going too fast.