Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
89a Sedona to Flagstaff

Has any one here driven this Route going South to North. While looking at Google Earth it looks like there are a few "Nasty" switchbacks. I am trying to plan a trip using 89 going from Tuscan Az. to Salt Lake City and maybe beyond if there is time.

I am driving our 38ft Endeavor pulling a Crew Cab Colorado.

Thanks Lee

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Lee:

Wouldn't recommend taking that Oak Canyon (Rt. 89) with your rig going in either direction. Switchbacks ARE too tight. Stay down in the Camp Verde/Cottonwood area, or up in the Flagstaff area but DO for sure visit Sedona. It's beautiful. Also, if ya stay a night or two down in the Cottonwood area, DO take a little day trip up to Jerome with your tow car (NOT rig), and have lunch at the Haunted Hamburger Restaurant. Great little down to poke around in. Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok in looking at Google map all I see is 89a around Cottonwood but you say avoid 89? I am confused (no surprise here). I think what your saying is NOT to take 89 at all between Phoenix and Flagstaff and that I should take 17 to 260 into Cottonwood? Is that right? We kinda wanted to take as much of 89 as possible.

Thanks Lee
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi

The section of 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff would be very difficult if not impossibe for the MH. As stated you would be better off just staying on Rt 17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff and stay in some camps. Then drive your toad, if you have one, to Sedona and Cottonwood to see the sights. Our son used to live in Flagstaff and we have stayed there several times doing car day trips to the Sedona area. Very easy to do in one day. There are some really nasty switchbacks on that section of 89a coming into Sedona.
Good Luck and be carefull on any of these roads on your trip
Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

I made the mistake of taking the 89a south in my 40' Diplomat pulling a minivan. I would never do it again.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow Yes we are talking about the same 89a from Sedona to Flagstaff in surfing Google Maps this morning I noticed there is another 89a north of Flagstaff going into the North rim of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for the advice and tips. We will not take our MH on 89a but stay somewhere and then use our TOAD......

Thanks again
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OH it's tight. I would probably look for another route. We drove it in our Tahoe but wouldn't attempt it with the coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks I am looking at 17........ Now to find a central location to stay a few days...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we have been in Flagstaff we have stayed at both of the following

J & H RV Park (preferred)
This is on North RT 89 which would help you to continue up your travels north to PAGE AZ and other locations.

Black Barts RV Park
Is OK but just not as nice as the one above. The only great thing here is their restraunt. If you love STEAK, they have one of the best in all of Flagstaff. Ofcourse you can stay in the park above and then just go out to dinner at BLACK BARTS.

Ther maybe other places along RT 17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff that you might try. There may be some near CAMP VERDE. Not sure.

I am sure you will get other replys here on IrV2
Good Luck
Bill
ps. When are you going on this trip? Flagstaff at this time of year could be very cold and there is allways a chance for snow on the roads. Flagstaff is at 7000+ft elevation. Check your weather reports and with the HWY Patrol for road closures and such.
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I too have made the mistake of taking 89A south through Oak Canyon. This is not a ride for the faint of heart. We stayed at the Turquoise Triangle Rv Park for two weeks while we explored the area. Even though the RV park is located right on 89A in Cottonwood, it is very quiet. It's an older campground with some permanent residents but it is clean well maintained and we were made to feel welcome for the entire two weeks we were there and the weekly rate was reasonable. Besides Sedona there are a lot of things to see and do there. A car trip up to Jerome is a must do and if you keep going you can go over Mingus Mountain to Prescott. A great ride! There many sites operated by the National Forest Service to see. You will travel for several miles over Forest Service roads to get to them, so be sure you have a vehicle that can handle the trip. We really enjoyed the area and hope you do too.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, I grew up in Flagstaff and have driven 89A to Sedona/Oak Creek many times. Like the others have said, I would avoid it in your motor home.

Watch the weather real close this time of year. A storm can blow into Flagstaff and get nasty overnight. I-17 is a great road, but some very steep grades. It's the primary reason my next motorhome will have something larger than a Cummins ISC.

Highway 89 north from Flagstaff through Page AZ and Kanab UT is not interstate, but you can negotiate it just fine in a motorhome. Again, watch the weather very close this time of year. There is a small road (Highway 20) near Panguitch UT that cuts across to I-15. It is the easiest route to cut across from 89 to I-15, however, all the beautiful scenery is on the 89 side of the mountains.

Enjoy the drive!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of comments: 89A into/out of Sedona is a GREAT motorcycle twisty course. Just ask me how I know.

You can drive into Sedona by using 179 from the freeway. 89A between Sedona and Cottonwoode are passable with a MH or a TT. DO NOT head up 89A towards Jermone or Prescott in your MH or TT. Steep roads with more motorcycle fun curves.

Yeh...I rode 'em all on vacation a few years back. Scared the crud out of the Misses.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We don't plan on being there until the first week in April........ Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I luv to scare the crud out of the missus...