Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

A Little Road Trip advice

Hello all,

I'm not at all new to RV'ing, having owned several rigs over the years and experienced many great things in them, but I would have to say that most of my more recent RV'ing have been trips that last no more than a week (usually less) at distances no more than 300-400 miles away. Kids, work, etc...you get the picture.

In October, I'm going to embark on a trip by myself that will take me from Southern Kalifornia (yes I know I spelled it with a "K") up to Deer Park, just outside of Park City, UT & I wondered if any of you more experienced travellers had any advice for this trip/stretch of highway/time of year/whatever. This is a business trip, but I'll be stopping in Zion on the 1st leg, then on to Deerpark, then back to Zion on my way back home. Reservations have already been made, so I'm good there.

I'll be pulling my 2011 Fuzion 360 5'er with my 2011 3500HD Dually, which has been outfitted with a DeeZee 40 gal. aux. tank (transfer pump, no direct feed to fuel system). All service(s) have been performed on all equipment. I'll be taking my dirtbike (a tricked out Dual Sport, technically, so it's street legal) for any hopeful downtime (I AM supposed to be working though...). 21 gallons of propane on board & all destination CG's are full hookup and pull thru, to minimize the frustration levels.

I've travelled the 15 many times, but never as far as up as Saint George. Anything up there I should be aware of/look out for? I feel like I've got all my bases covered, but it never hurts to ask!!

Thanks in advance!
Tim
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

The Virgin River Gorge in NW Arizona (I-15) is spectacular ... 55 mph speed limits ... and a couple of 5 % grades (UP Northbound) ... it is very scenic ... there are some turnouts if you want to stop and take pictures ... or just soak in the awesomeness ...

I recommend that you take US 189 from Provo / Orem ... this is another scenic drive ... there is about 5 miles of twisty turny stuff as you pass the dam and before you get to Heber City ... if you go to SLC and take I-80 eastbound you will have a 4 or 5 mile steep pull uphill Eastbound

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

That's the kind of insight I'm looking for, thank you!! I'm going to check that out for sure. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Being that close, it would be a shame to miss Bryce Canyon. It remains one of our favorites after being through 34 states.

Be safe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

My biz partner lives in Park City & he keeps telling me the same thing. I am really going to try to go through, but I'm on a fairly strict time contstraint & may not be able to make it this time around. I do have other trips planned up there & may be able to squeeze it in.

On one hand, it's pretty neat that I have a job that would allow me to do something like this. On the other hand though, it's a work trip & has me on a short leash schedule wise.

Thank you!!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Don't you HATE it when work gets in the way of play?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

I haven't worked in a traditional office for almost 15 years, so I really can't complain too much. I do voice work for radio stations & have worked it out so that the garage portion of my TH can be converted to a mobile studio so as long as I've got a good WiFi connection (and the wife's permission), I can go pretty much anywhere at anytime.

With the kids in school though, this is going to have to be a solo trip. I've got mixed feelings about that because I know there's going to be a lot of stuff I'd want my kids to see & they're not going to be there. I've also found that I start to go a little stir crazy when I'm out in my RV alone for too long.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

Man, and this will be of no help to your question, but if you didn't have to work so hard, I'd say bring your sticks. Lots of great golf courses in St. George, and of course your final destination in Park City.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #9

I appreciate that! My only trouble is....and I know I'm going to get a beating for saying this...I hate golf. Don't even own a set of clubs. I get a lot of crap for that here at home because I actually live 2 streets from a big "fancy" private course that I've never been to.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hey don't beat yourself down. I'll bet a lot of golfers wish they could be like you; traveling.
Safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypilch View Post
My only trouble is....and I know I'm going to get a beating for saying this...I hate golf.
No beating from me. I'd feel the same way about something I didn't enjoy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipwil View Post
Hey don't beat yourself down. I'll bet a lot of golfers wish they could be like you; traveling.
With one caveat... that we are traveling to great golf courses we can play.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just gotta say "that's my kind of business trip"

I got 2 coming up, maysville kentucky next week, nice municipal campground on the ohio river, then in october my bi-annual "dakota run" fargo, jametown, dickinson, mitchell. Always nice, and can't say I get stir crazy without the family.

This weekend, chicagoland speedway infield camping for the entire race weekend. Hope no one gets alcahol poisioning.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
The Virgin River Gorge in NW Arizona (I-15) is spectacular ... 55 mph speed limits ... and a couple of 5 % grades (UP Northbound) ... it is very scenic ... there are some turnouts if you want to stop and take pictures ... or just soak in the awesomeness ...

I recommend that you take US 189 from Provo / Orem ... this is another scenic drive ... there is about 5 miles of twisty turny stuff as you pass the dam and before you get to Heber City ... if you go to SLC and take I-80 eastbound you will have a 4 or 5 mile steep pull uphill Eastbound
This is a great route to travel. I just want to make you aware on Hwy189 you will be traveling through town for about 5 miles prior to driving through the mountains. This route also takes you right by BYU. Not a problem, just a heads up!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #14

You can avoid a lot of city driving through Provo by continuing on I-15 until you get to exit 275 (Utah 52) ... go eastbound on 52 and it joins 189 in a couple of miles ... this is four lanes ... a straight shot ... and probably about 4 or 5 traffic signals

I discovered this last year during a construction project ... this was the detour ... and it is better than 189 through town ... unless of course you want to drive by BYU

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote