Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Abbotsford to Tonasket Washington

Hi all I am needing some well traveled travelers advice!! The family and I are packing up the Motorhome with boat in tow and heading to Tonasket, here is my dilemma as I know highway 3 has some nasty climbs that I'm not crazy about I am wondering about heading south over the snoqaulmie pass would be an easier ( highway 2 ) or my other option is highway 20 but have heard that's pretty nasty as well. I realize I am going another 60 miles out of the way taking highway 2 but if its easier on the old gal it will be worth it!! Thanks so much for the help!
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Actually, Snoqualmie Pass is I-90. Maybe you meant to say, Stevens Pass which is Hwy 2?

Tough call. Yes, both the Crowsnest (hwy3) and the North Cascades (hwy20) highways will have steep climbs and several summits/passes to negotiate. Using hwy2, Stevens Pass, will be the easiest climb of the three and a good road but, as you point out, it's adding more miles.

However, in my opinion, I'd use the Crowsnest as I consider it to be the better road compared to hwy20/North Cascades. It has lots of passing lanes and several places that will be 4-lane roadway. It's also the shortest route.

But I don't know your rig as you do. If you're worried about overheating, etc. because you'll be towing and loaded down to the maximum, I may even consider going to Snoqualmie Pass (I-90). It will really add a lot of miles but will be the gentlest grade and the best roadway as it is a 4-lane interstate completely.

But, Hwy2 over Stevens pass may be the best compromise.

Ack, I'm not being much help here, am I? I'll let others chime in on this one! Good luck.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Hey thanks for the response this darn problem!! I'm so used to a diesel and never had to worry about any hills!! So lets put it this way I'm really not concerned about milage and fuel cost or time for that matter as we are on vacation after all so with that in mind if you narrowed it down to either highway 2 or highway 3 which would you take?
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

I don't know highway 3 but I would not hesitate to take Stevens Pass with my 35' Workhorse pulling my car. Most of it is a gradual climb until you get to the last grade which is 5-6% grade on each side (6.5 miles on the west side and 3 miles on the east). I have pulled a 35' mid 50s trailer over with a Chev Blazer. Just took my time and used the gears.

I would take 20 as well. Grades are more like 7%, there are more of them and they are longer. Total elevation is about the same. 20 is a lot slower with fewer services but more scenic.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote