Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Adirondack Mountain Trip

Next week we are taking a trip from Ohio to Cortland NY to visit relatives and then up Rt 8 to the Piseco Lake - Schroon Lake area. Wondering if anyone has made a similar trip and any suggestions for campgrounds and points of interest. We will be traveling with our 36 ft 5er and will have my parents along, they are in their 70's so lots of hiking might not be a great plan.
CameoCruzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Just a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameoCruzers View Post
Next week we are taking a trip from Ohio to Cortland NY to visit relatives and then up Rt 8 to the Piseco Lake - Schroon Lake area. Wondering if anyone has made a similar trip and any suggestions for campgrounds and points of interest. We will be traveling with our 36 ft 5er and will have my parents along, they are in their 70's so lots of hiking might not be a great plan.

I've been in the Adirondacks camping for many years. This is just a suggestion about which way to go. I would not travel on Route 8. It's a little boring. Lake Piseco is OK and Lake Pleasant is OK but not spectacular to see.

I would take Route 28 off Route 12 above Utica. You will have the opportunity to see scenery and there will be places to stop suitable to you and your parents. I'll just list the stops: Thendara, Old Forge, Inlet, Raquette Lake and Blue Mountain Lake. Raquette Lake has a great cruise and you get to see the old Adirondack camps. They have a dinner cruise. The entire cruise is narrated by the owner of the boat and is not boring. Old Forge and Inlet are good walking towns. Thendara has a railroad you can ride. Blue Mountain Lake has the Adirondack Museum. There will be no wasted side roads to take. Everything is along this route including NY State campgrounds which are all well taken care of. Most are on the lakes you will see which are many.

In Blue Mountain Lake you will head north on Route 30. Which if you intend to see the Adirondack Museum, just happens to be on Route 30. You will take this to Long Lake where you will find Route 28N. This route takes you across the Adirondacks. It takes you through the center of the Adirondack Mountains. In the small town of Newcomb you will be in the center of the Adirondacks. You can see all the largest and highest peaks looking north in Newcomb. There is an orientation map at the town provided rest stop so you can identify the peaks. The Santanoni Camp Preserve is in Newcomb. It is too difficult to hike up into the Great Camp Santanoni (I'm 62 and still bike and hike it) but if you are lucky you will be able to take a great wagon ride up and back. Great camps arewhat all the super rich built way back. Harris Lake campgrounds in nearby. You will cross the Hudson River. Newcomb has a golf course, town owned. If you head down the road leading to the golf course, at the end there is a town pumping station. That's the Hudson river only about 40 ft across. 28 N as you travel will give you a good feel of the Adirondack forests.

28N will eventually take you to North Creek. Another operating railroad will be found there. North Creek is another small town suited to walking around.

In North Creek you will come to Route 28 again. Route 28 will take you to Wevertown where I buy antiques. Some are on the back roads not suitable for a large motorhome however.

In Wevertown you will find your Route 8. Head north to Schroon Lake.

I tend to stay in rough areas. None of the above is rough. You will love the trip and you will not be bored. When you find food buy it. There are not too many stores in those parts except in the larger towns. North Creek has a super market.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #3

Just past Minerva there is a turnoff to Olmsteadville. If I remember correctly there is a sign at the intersection for Route 87 the Northway. It's called Olmsteadville Rd and ends on Route 8/9. You do not have to get on 87. You would eliminate heading down to North Creek. It's not such a big difference in distance to worry about. You would miss the railroad ride and the town of North Creek supermarket.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

Hi Woodydell:
I wished I'd talked to you before I went to Lake George last year. I loved the area and the air smelled great with all the Balsum trees. Now I'll have to head just a little further north next year. Thanks for a very interesting description of the area.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOODYDELL
Maybe you could give me some suggestions. I am planning on leaving Pittsburg around Oct 8 and going north to pick up the NY State Throuway, taking it east to Troy and North to Glens Falls and then over to Middlebury Vermont and Basin Harbor before heading back down to Madison Conn. If you have any suggestions I would be all ears. Thanks
Chuck Sanford aka Chuck 1935
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Scroon lake and middlebury,vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
WOODYDELL
Maybe you could give me some suggestions. I am planning on leaving Pittsburg around Oct 8 and going north to pick up the NY State Throuway, taking it east to Troy and North to Glens Falls and then over to Middlebury Vermont and Basin Harbor before heading back down to Madison Conn. If you have any suggestions I would be all ears. Thanks
Chuck Sanford aka Chuck 1935

They're only 35 miles apart, Scroon Lake and Middlebury. The ferry at Ticonderoga has a 15 ton limit. I've never taken the MH there but the fairs are low. You can take the same route as cameocruzers. Then for me obvious places to go are Lake George (downtown) and Bolton Landing. Lake Luzerne is a good camping spot rather than stay on Lake George. 1/2 Mile Ranch is good but too fancy for me. What's good in the Luzerne area is the horse back riding if you're into it. I am. If you went the Adirondack route like cameocruzers, you would have to head south out of your way to get to these places. Not far but still south.

If you took Route 28/30 south at Blue Mountain lake you would end up in Indian Lake. It's a nice ride. There's a golf course in Indian Lake. What happens at Indian Lake is you take Route 28 all the way (almost) to Lake George. The road looks small on the map but is totally OK. You pass under the thruway at Lake George.

The most direct routh which was cameocruzer's Route 8 totalled 200 miles from Cortland. My suggestion totals 235. To me in my MH that's no difference at all. I always opt for the most bang for my gas bucks.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Woodydell,
Thanks for all the information. I do however have one question. How do you get across Lake Champlain east of Ticonderoga on 74 ? I have a 34ft Motorhome with a toad. Do they have a bridge or a ferry and is there a better way of going ?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On our trip from Ohio to VT. back in July, we used NY. route 8 to get to VT. Route 8 is narrow and in some places in need of edge repair. Ended up not being a very good short-cut to get to VT.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #9

There's a ferry in ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Woodydell,
Thanks for all the information. I do however have one question. How do you get across Lake Champlain east of Ticonderoga on 74 ? I have a 34ft Motorhome with a toad. Do they have a bridge or a ferry and is there a better way of going ?

15 tons is the limit. At least it was. You take 74 to get there. We have ferries like that here on Long Island which take us to Shelter Island. They can handle concrete trucks. The crossing time is very short. Even if you had to go separately it's not going to take long to cross. The alternative to crossing here is to drive down to Whitehall by Route 22 Then take Route 4 where there is no crossing just roadway. Route 4 is a good road.

All of the roads I'm suggesting to use are perfectly fine roads no matter what you are driving. There are only a few long hills but nothing to worry about. These roads are maintained and are used in the winter to go skiing and snowmobiling.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
IC2

Since the Champlain Crown Point bridge is being replaced - it's gone, there is a FREE ferry off the same access road. I haven't seen any weight limit, but a couple of weeks ago when we went across, there was a very large dump truck and an 18 wheeler on the same 5 minute trip. Since it is only a few miles and minutes North of Ticonderoga, might be well worth the time. Also, that Ticonderoga ferry usually shuts down for the winter fairly early in the fall (normally). Here's the web site: Lake Champlain Transportation
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IC2;]Since the Champlain Crown Point bridge is being replaced - it's gone, there is a FREE ferry off the same access road.

Thanks IC2, I have it marked on my map. With all the good information you guys have given us, this should be a great trip. We are in New Mexico now working our way east and expect to be in N.Y. / Vermont around October 10. Thanks again. This is a great site.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #12

I like "FREE" Plus seeing a bridge coming down or up could be interesting.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look here:

https://www.nysdot.gov/lakechamplainbridge/construction

Look for instructions to access web cams of the crossing. As IC2 stated plenty of big trucks were seen when I looked this morning.

I never knew that my state would actually set a finish date on a project like this. It says 500 days from awarding contract! Wow.

The state put a bridge across a two lane road here on Long Island and it took 2 1/2 years. No lie. Flat ground, nothing in the way.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I like "FREE" Plus seeing a bridge coming down or up could be interesting.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look here:

https://www.nysdot.gov/lakechamplainbridge/construction

Look for instructions to access web cams of the crossing. As IC2 stated plenty of big trucks were seen when I looked this morning.

I never knew that my state would actually set a finish date on a project like this. It says 500 days from awarding contract! Wow.

The state put a bridge across a two lane road here on Long Island and it took 2 1/2 years. No lie. Flat ground, nothing in the way.
That bridge - GONE :
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #14

OR UP! Still interesting

Very cool video goin' down!

As I imagined it would be, very spectacular.