Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
M2D

Advice About Key West

We have been studying all of your advice about best routes to take from the Northeast to Florida and planning our trip accordingly.

I hope that it is OK to ask this question in this forum. We will be staying in Marathon Key. We have a dog who will likely be boarded in Marathon for the day we go to make a visit to Key West.

We have checked out pay parking lots in KW online. They all seem to say they take only cars and motorcycles, scooters and the like. Our tow vehicle is an F350 dually. The fiver will of course stay in Marathon.

Would any of you have advice about a safe responsible place to park our truck while we visit? We would be happy to pay for the privilege. We know space is at a premium there.

We have also heard that there are shuttle buses we can book to take us to KW from Marathon for a day visit. I have forgotten their cost but they seemed high for two people.

As usual all advice will be cheerfully received,

M2D

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

When you come into Key West you arrive at a "T" intersection. After turning right, there is a trolley stop and gift shop immediately on the left. Behind this area is a large (by key west standards) free parking lot that you can park your pick up in. There is a scooter rental right there also. Note: this was available as of 3 years ago.

gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

M2D... You is a decent street view of KW on Google Map....you might want to take a tour of the island view the google tools and spot the parking places. I toured on bicycle. there is a city bus that runs almost every hour. You can feasibly leave all your vehicles off the island and use public transportation.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
M2D

I have just been reading that Kew West is fairly dog friendly. I wonder if we bring our totally enclosed carriage for small dogs whether it would be OK to bring him along.

He is a 24 pound terrier. We bought the carriage several years ago for our small female terrier who had disc surgery. I would wheel her around in it to get fresh air during her recuperation. I also used it for a foster female terrier (we help with rescue) who had ACL surgery before she was placed in her new home. We had charge of her rehab.

We are very grateful to everyone here for all that we have learned on this site and are trying to give back when someone has a question we can answer.

M2D
Old 12-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

I haven't been there for a year but KW was very dog (or cat) friendly when I was there.
Dog Friendly Vacations in Key West, FL, US

BTW, I normally use street parking (metered) ... a little cruising usually netted a spot within 5 blocks of wherever I wanted to go. Depends on season and whatever might be going on in KW though.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think you have to gage whether your dog will enjoy walking around as well (and check out whether they are welcome on the bus)> For my money a day at Petco or PetSmart day care at $25-35 is pretty cheap for peace of mind, and my experience, the DO take care of your pet.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
When you come into Key West you arrive at a "T" intersection. After turning right, there is a trolley stop and gift shop immediately on the left. Behind this area is a large (by key west standards) free parking lot that you can park your pick up in. There is a scooter rental right there also. Note: this was available as of 3 years ago.

I recommend you take the Trolley and see the sights of Key West. Then rent a scooter or take your cage back to all the sights you want to spend more time at. I found them dog friendly. Considering staying at a hotel one night so you can experience KW at night.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

M2D... here is one thing to think about....If you are planning to buy some tickets to visit the Hemingway House or Truman's White House or the other museums....there will be restrictions. Hemingway's House is an all CAT area. I do not think that they allow a dog there. Just letting you know that the attractions are going to limit you to what you can bring inside.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
M2D

I have been studying the Trolley Tour site and also dog care facilities in Key West itself.

We have managed to get an 8 day stay in Marathon key at fairly short notice for this time of the year. I wonder if might be able to get a couple nights at Boyd's so as to see more of Key West.

We have been on a waiting list for Bluewater Key but the days they have been able to offer us are too soon in January for us to get there after our stay with my dad for the holidays.

I suppose there is no harm in asking. You never know what might come up.

Thank you so much for reminding me about the cat situation. Our boy is fine with chickens, sheep and horses. Rodents not so much and cats will cause barking.

M2D
Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #10

You can get between Marathon and KW easily on the city bus. Here is the schedule. Scroll down into the list for bus times and select the stop closest to your RV. http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov...616_843200.pdf

Key West is inundated with roosters. I am always amazed at the place ... My wife and I have pedaled all over the island...and visited some of the attractions. We try to park our RV on Marathon too and pedal everywhere from there.

Tags
advice