Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Advice going west to east

Hi all RVers

Picking up a rig in Seattle mid- April and considering itís early Spring and there is still snow around just asking best route to take for a first timer. Iíve got 20 days so time is somewhat of an issue with a couple of days at CGís. I donít want to rush but may have to push on mileage. Would appreciate any advice

Thank you all,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Where are you going?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Iím going to CT and from there points unknown
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Drive east

We've made the drive across the US several times in cold weather and would have to say you might need to head south since many CG's close until spring.

Also, most RV's do not handle cold weather really well. They are more three seasons ready and the water and sewer lines will freeze. We camped in Williams AZ last December and it was 17 degrees with a strong wind. Condensation froze our door shut and our water line didn't defrost until we hit the lower elevations. We place frozen lines in the shower so when they melt they don't dampen some normally dry spots.

Interstate 40 works but it is a long drive down Hwy 5 so you might try a different route but the passes might be tricky and campgrounds closed.

Safe drive...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

A few days will be consumed staying around Settle to check the rig and systems out. Especially check the age of the tires, if more than 6 years get new tires and watch your tire pressures. Check the batteries also, may be safer go get new ones. Make sure you have Coachnet or something before you start in case of breakdown.

Watching the weather, being ready to hunker down, I90 should be OK. 3000 miles to cover in say 15 days, 200 miles a day. That should be OK. But............weather, breakdowns, flats etc.

Open cgs. may be a problem so be prepared to boondock.

Enjoy your rig and the trip.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Advice going west to east

You did say mid-April, right? I would think youíd be ok. Once through the Cascades thereíll be some remaining chance of weather, but presumably youíre a grown up, just keep an eye on the weather.
As to CGs, by mid April I would think, again, you should be alright. There are also an abundance of amenable WM, Cracker Barrels, Cabellaís, etc., along that route for dry overnights.

A few years ago we crossed the I-90 corridor east to west from MA to Seattle in late Oct- Nov. Took about 30 days, but we dilly-dallied a lot. Had absolutely no problems with either weather or CGs.

Good Luck, and enjoy the trip!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 AM   #7

Heading East, personally I would not hit the road until after 9AM.
Reason? Any earlier you'll be heading into a rising sun. About eye level in your coach.
Same thing heading West, I'd stop about 4PM.

YMMV
Old 03-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

Hmmm, we are coming west around that time. A little more southerly route than you but will be watching weather more than anything else.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

There a trip report with this post?

I had a buddy that PCS'ed from Benning to Ft Lewis and did that drive in a weekend; you should be good with 20days if you need to hole up somewhere (Weather in the midwest - global warming? LOL).

Good luck with your trip!
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #10

Seattle to Connecticut mid-April..... I think I'd take I-84 to I-80 across. Safe travels and enjoy that new RV!

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice