Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Advice needed - Alberta to Nevada City, CA

Greetings all!!

First time on here, so thought I'd start with a bang! LOL

We will be traveling from Edmonton, AB to Nevada City, CA in mid-late August and need some advice. All the mapping programs tell us to go south through Montana on I-15; I-86 from Pocatello to Twin Falls, ID; and I-80 from Twin Falls westward through Reno, ending at Nevada City, CA.

Our beastie is a Class A gasser - 1986 Invitation 32' with a 454 big block. Needless to say, she's a thirsty gal, though she can chug up the hills when needed. We've driven her from Edmonton AB through the Rocky Mountains & over the Coquihalla Highway to Vancouver, as well as through Roger's Pass on Highway 1 (the Trans Canada through Banff); and a bunch of weekend trips. While we're not TOTAL newbies, we're still pretty green & wet behind the ears when it comes to RV'ing, and prefer to play it safe (hubs & I are both paramedics & have seen the aftermath of too much chutzpah & not enough knowledge).

IS this a reasonable route to travel in late summer with the vehicle we have, or would we be better off to just take our pickup & stay in motels along the way? Cost-wise it's pretty much the same - I'm thinking more about A)our sanity & B)our beastie, who we don't want to kill so far from home! *grin*

Any/all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Medic_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. You may be the only one to answer that question.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Thanks for the welcome Cliff! I'm hoping that someone has driven all/part of the route & has some advice on whether the roads/route is RV friendly, or if there's a better route to take, or if it's an insane thought at that time of year. LOL!!
Medic_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
You'll be in great shape all the way. About 50-ish miles out of Reno you'll see signs for Hwy 20, take that straight into Nevada City/Grass Valley CA. Well, it isn't straight but its a perfectly fine road for an RV like yours. And spectacularly beautiful.

IIWM&I was in the neighborhood of Rainbow Lodge, (530) 426-3871, near lunch time I'd check if they are open, pull in & put on the feedbag. They have have a fabulous little spot by the American River which should still be running nicely in August and you should be able to eat outside, maybe even by the river. If they are not open, I'd pull the moho into the parking lot, and picnic by the river anyway.

And if you hang out in California very long, we give you the opportunity to start tithing your income to the State in the form of taxes. Its one of the inimitable charms we are known for the world over.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Medic_Chick;1592375]Greetings all!!

welcome to irv2:
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome. Mike is dead on his directions. You can stay at the Nevada County Fair Grounds which is very close to the freeway and easy access. It will be hot in August but the evening usually cool down nicely there.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote