Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Advice wanted first big trip

My wife and I are taking our first big trip in a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer we purchased last year and we are looking for advise on what not to miss.
The trip begins with our first NGR in Forest City Iowa after which we are taking six weeks to travel Yellow Stone Park in Wyoming.

We are looking forward to seeing Mount Rushmore, the badlands, and Deadwood and we are hoping that we can get a lot of insight from other members who have traveled in the areas on what to see, do, and good parks for staying in.

I really want to thank all of you for taking the time to read and respond to our request and we look forward to hearing any information or suggestions you might have.

Have a great summer and thanks again !
ldowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traveled from Virginia a couple of years ago (we had 4 weeks) to Yellowstone, then Jackson, WY to see the Grand Tetons, then south to Bryce Canyon, then back thru Monument Valley. We saw Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon on a prior trip. While everything we ever see in the West is great, Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley are favorites.

There is so much to see in that part of the country. You could spend a month in Yellowstone alone. However, with 6 weeks, you can see a lot.

I am sure you will get recommendations from others about great places to see. Just enjoy and travel safely.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Give yourself several days (4 or so) to see the Black Hills from Custer city and park north to I-90. Drive the Game Loop in CSP and then the Iron Mountain Rd (towed only!! - tunnels) Hill City, Keystone, Needles HIghway. Do the Crazy Horse monument as well as Deadwood. Drive up Spearfish Canyon to Spearfish SD to get to I-90 and your trip further westand. Stop over in Harden Mt at the Custer Battlefield.

There is just something to do every where you look. Do some research before you get involved in the Sturgis Rally. You will see the most motorcyles you have ever seen in one group and a huge traffic jam. First week or two in August usually, but do a Google to make sure exactly.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Don't forget to visit Wall Drug and Devil's Tower while you are out that way. There is an awesome RV park just off the interstate at the Deadwood exit.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try and not miss Wall Drugs in Wall, SD. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monuments are gotta do's !!! If ya enjoy scooters drop by Sturgis BEFORE the new-age fake bikers and Hollywood freak shows hit in July. Yellowstone is a 3 week adventure that will leave you wishing you had 3 months ! But then I am a shameless flyfishing fanatic soooooo take it from there. Also Glacier National Park is worth the drive !

Makes me jealous just remembering !

Be safe and enjoy the Open Roads... Thank a Vet for our freedoms !
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

We made a quick survey trip two years ago in which we tried to at least see the highlights. We only had three weeks. Do see the Crazy Horse monument. It's worth the price of admission. Also see the Badlands in South Dakota. You have to stop at Wall Drug just so you can say you did.

My first campground recommendation is the Badlands White River KOA. We were only able to stay there one night, but it seemed like a spot I would have liked to stick around for another day or two.

In the Tetons, check out the Colter Bay campground. You'll need reservations. For Yellowstone, the Yellowstone Grizzly campground in West Glacier is a great base camp. You'll need reservations there. I've seen these two campgrounds recommended over and over in the web forums and I was very happy with them. Both the Colter Bay area and West Glacier MT are interesting places on their own plus they offer good access to the parks.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
ldowning:

Suggestion: When visiting the Black Hills we'd suggest picking a campground and staying put. Do your touring around with your toad (towed vehicle). For example, a good home base might be Whistler's Gultch RV Park in Deadwood. From there ya can do day trips to Rushmore, drive the Needles Hyw., drive over for the day to Devils Tower, drive through the Wildlife Loop Road in Custer State Park, and use the shuttle from the campground into Deadwood proper.

Steve & Lynette
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Two comments ... the only campground in Yellowstone with electrical hookups is at Fishing Bridge ... you need reservations ... there are RV parkis in West Yellowstone

There are several routes from the Black Hills to Yellowstone ... check your route carefully ... there are some routes that are more challenging than others ... in particular, US 14 or US 14A have some extremely steep descents westbound ... and US212 have steep ascents with multiple switchbacks between Red Lodge and YNP ... you probably should avoid these routes until you have lots of experience with you motorhome.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Give yourself several days (4 or so) to see the Black Hills from Custer city and park north to I-90. Drive the Game Loop in CSP and then the Iron Mountain Rd (towed only!! - tunnels) Hill City, Keystone, Needles HIghway. Do the Crazy Horse monument as well as Deadwood. Drive up Spearfish Canyon to Spearfish SD to get to I-90 and your trip further westand. Stop over in Harden Mt at the Custer Battlefield.

There is just something to do every where you look. Do some research before you get involved in the Sturgis Rally. You will see the most motorcyles you have ever seen in one group and a huge traffic jam. First week or two in August usually, but do a Google to make sure exactly.
We thank you very much for all the information, but as newbies I'm not sure I understand the "towed-only". Could you explain this to us?
We are towing a 2010 Jeep Liberty, using Ready Brute Ready Brake system we had installed a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie
Try and not miss Wall Drugs in Wall, SD. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monuments are gotta do's !!! If ya enjoy scooters drop by Sturgis BEFORE the new-age fake bikers and Hollywood freak shows hit in July. Yellowstone is a 3 week adventure that will leave you wishing you had 3 months ! But then I am a shameless flyfishing fanatic soooooo take it from there. Also Glacier National Park is worth the drive !

Makes me jealous just remembering !

Be safe and enjoy the Open Roads... Thank a Vet for our freedoms !
Thank you for all the information we really appreciate you taking the time and giving us a lot of information.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo
We made a quick survey trip two years ago in which we tried to at least see the highlights. We only had three weeks. Do see the Crazy Horse monument. It's worth the price of admission. Also see the Badlands in South Dakota. You have to stop at Wall Drug just so you can say you did.

My first campground recommendation is the Badlands White River KOA. We were only able to stay there one night, but it seemed like a spot I would have liked to stick around for another day or two.

In the Tetons, check out the Colter Bay campground. You'll need reservations. For Yellowstone, the Yellowstone Grizzly campground in West Glacier is a great base camp. You'll need reservations there. I've seen these two campgrounds recommended over and over in the web forums and I was very happy with them. Both the Colter Bay area and West Glacier MT are interesting places on their own plus they offer good access to the parks.
Great! We really appreciate the park recommendations.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee
ldowning:

Suggestion: When visiting the Black Hills we'd suggest picking a campground and staying put. Do your touring around with your toad (towed vehicle). For example, a good home base might be Whistler's Gultch RV Park in Deadwood. From there ya can do day trips to Rushmore, drive the Needles Hyw., drive over for the day to Devils Tower, drive through the Wildlife Loop Road in Custer State Park, and use the shuttle from the campground into Deadwood proper.

Steve & Lynette
This sounds exactly what we are looking for, we will check if the park has availability. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp
Two comments ... the only campground in Yellowstone with electrical hookups is at Fishing Bridge ... you need reservations ... there are RV parkis in West Yellowstone

There are several routes from the Black Hills to Yellowstone ... check your route carefully ... there are some routes that are more challenging than others ... in particular, US 14 or US 14A have some extremely steep descents westbound ... and US212 have steep ascents with multiple switchbacks between Red Lodge and YNP ... you probably should avoid these routes until you have lots of experience with you motorhome.
Thank you so much, since I don't have a lot of experience I really would like to avoid any challenging routes even if it means taking a longer route.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are lots of narrow and steep windy roads. Custer State park has lots of deep ruts. To save yourself and the RV a lot of wear and tear. pick a home base camp in the middle of the area and leave the RV there. Drive the jeep on day trips to tour the area. Works well and keeps the fuel cost down.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote