Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Advise on traveling from New Brunswick Canada to Florida

I have never taken this trip and am a little concerned going through some the larger cities . When I google it takes me straight down I 95 which goes through some pretty large cities such as New York , Bailtamore, Washington etc. I will be leaving New Brunswick late October pending weather which is another concern of mine if the weather will hold out long enough so I don't have to winterize . So I am looking for some advice on the route and possible cold weather concerns. I have a 2013 Thor Tuscany and a 2013 MKX Lincoln. Thanks to all that respond I appreciate the response .

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
I knew I had seen this somewhere before, but came across this https://snowbirdrvtrails.wordpress.c...te-to-florida/

I believe either of these two routes described will work for you and avoid larger cities. Happy travels.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I have never taken this trip and am a little concerned going through some the larger cities . When I google it takes me straight down I 95 which goes through some pretty large cities such as New York , Bailtamore, Washington etc. I will be leaving New Brunswick late October pending weather which is another concern of mine if the weather will hold out long enough so I don't have to winterize . So I am looking for some advice on the route and possible cold weather concerns. I have a 2013 Thor Tuscany and a 2013 MKX Lincoln. Thanks to all that respond I appreciate the response .

Ken

Get over to I81 and take it to I77-I26-I95 into Florida. Then continue down I95 for the east coast or over to I75 for the west coast.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
I knew I had seen this somewhere before, but came across this https://snowbirdrvtrails.wordpress.c...te-to-florida/

I believe either of these two routes described will work for you and avoid larger cities. Happy travels.
Thanks for the response so quickly I will take the time to examine this and let you know thanks again
Ken
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Get over to I81 and take it to I77-I26-I95 into Florida. Then continue down I95 for the east coast or over to I75 for the west coast.
Thanks Steve I appreciate the quick response I will look at you advise and keep you posted.
Ken
Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There are, as you've seen, a couple of different ways to skin this cat. In some ways, it depends on where in Florida you're ultimately heading. But lets assume you will be crossing the border into the Sunshine State at Jacksonville.

The trick is, once you're south of the Virginia/NC border, there are literally NO issues with I-95. South Carolina is a little bumpy, but it's three lanes in both directions all the way through Georgia, so you can get from Emporia, VA to Jax in about 9 hours without even breaking a sweat.

The western route using I-81 is nice, much more 'scenic', and longer. It also MAY, repeat MAY be an issue weather-wise in late October, but probably not.

Coming down from NB, you want to avoid everything between Hartford CT and Fredericksburg, VA.

I hear there are smoothness issues with the interstates up around Albany, Binghampton, Allentown and such. However, you will not find I-95 or the Cross Bronx Expressway any better, trust me.

I would stay west of the metropolis for as long as you can - and then, as noted, when you are past Washington DC/Richmond, you can then get on I-95 and just cruise the rest of the way.

With your rig, you definitely do not want to mess with the George Washington Bridge, the northern stretches of the NJ Turnpike near Newark, or I-95 between Baltimore and DC, if you are not used to driving in that kind of traffic.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I95 to I495 to I90W to I84W then to I81S then go as previous posters suggested, but if you want to avoid Hartford and CT in general you can stay on I90w to I-88 just past Albany to I81s by Binghamton NY. Longer and tolls but keeps you out of serious Metro traffic. Also correct, keep an eye on the weather for I81 on VA. It can get rough early there on occasion.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, florida, travel