Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Akron, OH to San Diego, CA

How much time should we allow this trip to take pulling a 39' 8" 5th wheel, never having pulled anything before and having 0 experience rv-ing?
Also any route recommendations to use or avoid? Thanks [emoji2]
annsmpsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

We travel from Phoenix area to Newton Falls (just east of Akron) and figure about 30 hours of driving time. That's about 3 days for us 37 ft. towing. As far as routes, I 76 west to I 71 South to I 70 west to St. Louis then I 44 west to Oklahoma City to I 40 west. At some point you need to drop down to I 10 then to I 8 to San Diego.
Or take I 71 to Louisville KY to I 65 South to Nashville. Then I 40 west to Little Rock then I 30 to Dallas then I 20 to I 10 to I 8.
There are other options for I 70 and I 80, but these are the ones we take depending on whether we are going to NE Ohio or SW Kentucky.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you push it, you could do it in about 3 days.
(first day Akron - Omaha, NE 12.5 hrs)
(day 2, Omaha, NE to Grand Junction, CO 11.5 hrs)
(Day 3 Grand Junction, CO to San Diego, 12 hrs)

Anything more than that and you're on vacation. I'd suggest using Google maps to pick your own route and schedule. You know your interests and 'must sees.' Once you have a bit more of an itinerary and time of year, check back and ask for more opinions and suggestions. You might want to take some shorter trips if you can before tackling the trip to San Diego. We find we like to only go about 300 or so miles a day, much different than when we thought nothing of traveling 12-14 hrs at a time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

For avoidances, we avoid I 70 through Illinois and Indiana, rough road. We take I 71 to Louisville then I 64 to St. Louis. We also go around St Louis to the South on I 255 and I 270.
Also, I 44 is a toll road in Oklahoma.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

We have found that we average about 50 mph on the interstates taking into account rest stops and our 62 mph travel speed. We seem to have difficulty leaving the campground by 10 am and we like to be into the next one by 4 pm. With an hour for lunch and maybe fueling, we put in 250 to 280 miles per day. That was our routine when we towed our fifth wheel, too.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you push it, you could do it in about 3 days.
(first day Akron - Omaha, NE 12.5 hrs)
(day 2, Omaha, NE to Grand Junction, CO 11.5 hrs)
(Day 3 Grand Junction, CO to San Diego, 12 hrs)

Anything more than that and you're on vacation. I'd suggest using Google maps to pick your own route and schedule. You know your interests and 'must sees.' Once you have a bit more of an itinerary and time of year, check back and ask for more opinions and suggestions. You might want to take some shorter trips if you can before tackling the trip to San Diego. We find we like to only go about 300 or so miles a day, much different than when we thought nothing of traveling 12-14 hrs at a time.
BFlinn181,
We are buying our 5th wheel in OH and we live in CA, thus the long trip. We are buying our truck in KY, can't be helped. We are looking into any classes we can take for beginners, but not finding anything so far.
We aren't retired so have only so much leave we can take, so looking for good smooth routes. Thanks for you advice.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsmpsn View Post
How much time should we allow this trip to take pulling a 39' 8" 5th wheel, never having pulled anything before and having 0 experience rv-ing?
One month to Learn.

One month to correct issues.

Three (3) months to enjoy.

Possible Route - https://binged.it/2urQX3b

Lot's more to see and do but really need to know more as to your Plans Intentions.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
40 hour drive time, Akron to San Diego

Four days with a more leisurely push (8-10 hours a day)

I-76 > I-71 > I-70 > (St Louis) I-255 > I-270 > I-44 > I-40 > (Santa Rosa, NM) US-54 > (Alamogordo, NM) US-70 > (Las Cruces, NM) I-10 > I-8

The I-255 > I-270 keeps you out of St Louis by taking you around the southeastern side of St Louis.

Also - the I-44 section in Oklahoma is a toll road with two toll booth stops

US-70 in Las Cruces will take you through town, not a big deal, stay in the right lane.

We take this route routinely between Toledo and Phoenix
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
BFlinn181,
We are buying our 5th wheel in OH and we live in CA, thus the long trip. We are buying our truck in KY, can't be helped. We are looking into any classes we can take for beginners, but not finding anything so far.
We aren't retired so have only so much leave we can take, so looking for good smooth routes. Thanks for you advice.
I was being 'tongue in cheek' with that recommendation. I thought you intended to do some vacationing. I listed the Google suggested route broken into ~12 hr days. I really wouldn't try a trip like that, it would be extremely exhausting. Even with limited time, I wouldn't suggest more than 8 hour days on the road. Also plan a day in that string to 'decompress' and just recover from the stresses of driving, or at least make one day much shorter than the others for the same thing.

I'd suggest I-77 to I-70 Columbus, then stay on I-70 W until Utah and I-15. The only toll is the Kansas toll road and it's much more scenic and a tiny bit cooler than I-40 across OK, TX, NM, and AZ.

Be sure to set up and stay in your new trailer a day or so near the dealer so you can iron out anything that comes up. You might need things you didn't expect and have questions you can't answer in that day or two.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:

I would pick up I70 somewhere east of Denver and stay on it to I15. I15 will take you home.

I'm sure there are many other routes but in my opinion, for interstate travel I70 and I15 are supremely scenic. The pull up to Eisenhower tunnel just west of Denver is the major grade.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #11

I lived in San Diego for 35 years before going full time. My son lives in Omaha NE. The shortest and easiest way is to take I-80 to Omaha (day one), then next morning stay on I-80 to I-76 which will bring you down into CO and merge onto I-70 at Denver. Get to the west of Denver so you don't have to drive in the morning rush hour into the city (day two). Stay in I-70 and it will take you into UT and end at I-15 (day three). You will pass the Eisenhower Tunnel no problem for RV or Semis. Take I-15 thru Las Vegas and all the way to San Diego. I usual stop in Vegas for a night (day four) and then continue to San Diego the next day.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #12

Thank you TXTiger, we appreciate the route you've given. ☺