Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
The only way I can think of getting to Alaska without a passport or crossing any part of Canada is by taking a ferry from Washington State, although I don't know if this would outweigh the cost of fuel but it sure would be a lot less wear and tear on the RV. We have taken our RV and Toad on several trip around the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound and found it quite enjoyable, and i imagine that way into Alaska would be something to see.
When I had the Class C and was getting ready to take it to the lower 48 for the winter, I looked in to the ferry, $3000.00. This did not include a sleeping room and you are not permitted to sleep in your RV.

When I was ready to bring the Class A to the lower 48 didn't bother to call since it was 9' longer and the ferry charges by the length on vehicles over a specific length. Spent $2400.00 in fuel from Anchorage to Ohio. Much less than the ferry.

Going south on the ferry is cheaper than going north.

Besides the cost you would miss a lot of beautiful countryside by taking the ferry. Half the fun of going to AK is getting there.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
When I had the Class C and was getting ready to take it to the lower 48 for the winter, I looked in to the ferry, $3000.00. This did not include a sleeping room and you are not permitted to sleep in your RV.
Well there you go that's the answer we were looking, I guess the fuel cost is much less then a ferry.

But as far as the scenery goes it depend on what you want to see, if you had gone by land in the past you elect see the inside passage for change. Plus it would be a lot less wear and tear on the RV. Plus I think you still would not need a passport I believe.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
Well there you go that's the answer we were looking, I guess the fuel cost is much less then a ferry.

But as far as the scenery goes it depend on what you want to see, if you had gone by land in the past you elect see the inside passage for change. Plus it would be a lot less wear and tear on the RV. Plus I think you still would not need a passport I believe.
If you want to see the sights from the water, take a 7-8 day cruise from Seattle or Vancouver for under 1K per person. Park your RV in either city and when you get back, jump in and make the trip via road. Best of both worlds.
As far as not having to have a passport, those days are GONE. As the saying goes, "Don't Leave Home Without It"
Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #18

We have put a deposit on a 50 day caravan of 15 rigs max. for June/July of 2013. We were undecided and in the end felt we would be better with a group for the 1st trip and then go again on our own if we choose. We kind of liked the social aspect of the caravan along with some security.
We booked with a company called Adventure Treks. Anyone heard of them? They seemed to be very good people to talk to and have been in Business for quite a while.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Forget caravans. Just look at a map, and Alaska visitors pamphlets, follow your nose too things and places of your interests. It is no big deal. We went up The Cassier HWY May 1st.through western B.C First stop Hyder AK and Stewart B.C. meandered to Homar, volunteered as State Park hosts in Anchor Point for eight weeks.etc, did The top Of The World Highway out of Chicken to Dawson City Yukon back down Alcan, went to Bamffe,Lake LOuise, Calgary, just like any other trip you want to wake up in the morning and say "where too today?"
lukydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
alaska

We just got back from Alaska trip. Hope this makes sense? Left Ontario, Canada. June 10,2012 This is the route we went with my 2004 Monaco Camelot towing 2008 Jeep GC on 4 down. I went north to sudbury,Ontario.Stayed on road in Canada to Thunder bay, then to Winnipeg, Ontario, To Edmonton, Alberta, to Watson Lake,Yukon, to Whitehorse,YK, to Dawson City, Ferry across Yukon River with RV and Car to Chicken Alaska, USA, Drove the top of the world highway To Chicken Alaska USA then to Haines Junction,Yukon, Canada. Drove to Haines AK,USA. Put the RV and tow car on ferry went to Skagway,USA, Alaska, Drove from their back to Red Deer Alberta Canada crossed into Montana, USA to Wyoming to Rapid City South Dakota, stayed at an RV park near Hill City SD, then to Northfield Minnesota, up to Duluth MN, to Sault saint Marie, Ontario, Canada. Home to Haliburton, Ontario, Canada. Gone 2 months about 9000 miles drove it all myself, Had a great time. Nothing like that trip can compare. Go for it you will be amazed at the places. No troubles of any kind. RV and car never gave a minutes problem. Passport was needed several times on the trip. Food and fuel never a problem. Lots of wild life on the way.[I just turned 70 this year]
Rebelone
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went wirh the Winnebago Caravan in 2002, and was very glad that I had. Met life long friends and did all of the tourist things. In as much as most side trips etc were prepaid it felt like at the time they were "free". Nice to know where you will camp and that a backup is available if something goes wrong.

On the other hand going alone would not be a problem and if I was in a position to do it I would not hesitate.

Going a little later as we did I did see the number one must see on the trip and that was the "Northern Lights". I was not leaving until I did.

Caravan or not just go, I envy you as I write this note, I feel as if I have returned.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but just read it today. We're planning to go to Alaska next year (2013). Will leave from Seattle area around beginning of June & plan to spend about 3 1/2 months making the trip. We'll come back thru Lake Lousie, Banff, Calgary, etc. Just not sure if we want to swing back into Washington, ID or MT. We're full timers & it depends on where we want to go when we get back. We aren't attached to any caravan but have looked at the itineraries of several so we know the main places. We have purchased the Milepost & Mike & Terry Church's book. Our question - Do we need to make campground reservations ahead of time or will we be ok winging it. We aren't real fussy about the campgrounds. Not big fans of dry camping but could do it a few days at a time with no problem. It would be nice to have the freedom to stop where we want or stay longer than we planned if the weather is lousy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but just read it today. We're planning to go to Alaska next year (2013). Will leave from Seattle area around beginning of June & plan to spend about 3 1/2 months making the trip. We'll come back thru Lake Lousie, Banff, Calgary, etc. Just not sure if we want to swing back into Washington, ID or MT. We're full timers & it depends on where we want to go when we get back. We aren't attached to any caravan but have looked at the itineraries of several so we know the main places. We have purchased the Milepost & Mike & Terry Church's book. Our question - Do we need to make campground reservations ahead of time or will we be ok winging it. We aren't real fussy about the campgrounds. Not big fans of dry camping but could do it a few days at a time with no problem. It would be nice to have the freedom to stop where we want or stay longer than we planned if the weather is lousy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We have never made reservations along the ALCAN portion of the trip and have always done well with finding an open site. Having said that We have only made one summer trip. All others have been in the late fall or early winter.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
The only place we made reservations was at Denali. We weren't turned away anywhere.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just got back from our 3rd Alaska trip. Be advised that some of the most popular campgrounds are booked by RV caravans, sometimes 3 caravans at a time and they take up most of the spaces.We were limited to 2 days at Whitehorse YT. Also we were lucky to get spots in Skagway, In both cases because of caravans and we did have reservations at Teklinika and Riley Cg in Denali NP. We found vacant spots at Riley but they were for shorter rigs 30ft or less. Other than that no problems getting spots. So if you know for sure where you will be and when it wouldnt hurt to look into reservations at the more popular spots
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #26

We will be making the 'reverse' trip in May of 2013. We will be leaving around the 18th of May, for a 4-5 week trip to the lower '48'. For the most part we will not be making reversations at camp ground and just 'winging it' for the whole trip. As long as we can get into a camp ground every 4-5 days we are fine. We will be going down through FT Nelson to WA, down through WA, OR CA over to CO, back up through WY, ID and then back to Dawson. Nothing really planned other then seeing some family along the way, and maybe finding a place to do some wild pig hunting. Now that the DW is retired we have a little more time to 'stop and smell the rose'! For us it is a bad time of the year to be leaving Alaska but...... that is the way it goes.
Hope everyone has a safe trip!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We can all wave at you as we pass. We just left OR. They have some great State Parks with full hookups.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska from the finger lakes area in New York State form 5/16/12 returned 9/1/12. Total trip was 14K miles (we did side trip through western US). We did the grand tour, solo, including using the ferry on the Inter Coastal water way from Haines to Prince Rupert. It was a trip of a life time. We had 2 major problems engine and accident. Would do it again. You can see our trip on our blog RVGR8escape. If you have any comments or questions you can contact us through the blog.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote