Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #29

I would like to thank all the folks that have responded to my initial question. We have decided to travel solo from NE Ohio to Alaska. Leaving days then NW to Alaska.

Norm, Pat and Louie the wonder dog
05 Coachmen Leperchaun 31' Class C with 2011 Ford Fiesta, 4 down

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #30

Finding a campground on route to Alaska

I think this is close enough to the topic. I'm wanting to go solo to Alaska next summer but wonder if anyone every has a problem with finding a place to camp. I have this fear of getting in sync with a caravan and being out of luck for a place to camp. What has been your experiences in this regard?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
We have put a deposit on a 50 day caravan of 15 rigs max. for June/July of 2013. We were undecided and in the end felt we would be better with a group for the 1st trip and then go again on our own if we choose. We kind of liked the social aspect of the caravan along with some security.
We booked with a company called Adventure Treks. Anyone heard of them? They seemed to be very good people to talk to and have been in Business for quite a while.
we took our first trip (same one you are taking) to alaska with this group and had a wonderful time. we still travel with some of the couples we meant on the trip. we left in May, no weather problems and 1/2 our group broke off towards the end to take the tok to Dawson city route for 3-4 days and rejoined the rest of the caravan in whitehorse. you should have the flexibility to break off if you seem to feel you want to do or see something the caravan doesn't offer. as long as the group stays at 15 rigs or smaller, it will be a good trip... but if for some reason the group grows to more than 15 rigs, you should rethink that particular trip... more than 15 rigs is to big a group to corrordinate events and creates parking issues. if you would like to pick my brain (whats left of it) feel free to IM me and I can give you some tips on the trip and what to expect.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ip5151
I have a question. I am taking that trip next year and was wondering if you found internet (wifi) in most of the campgrounds? I will need internet connection from time to time to conduct banking transactions. Can you give me any insight on this.
Thanks in advance
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
alaska

We found internet most places in Alaska, even in Chicken. It may be slow at times but not a problem. Our Magic Jack most times did not work for phone connection, also most cell phones will not work, Parking was never a problem. We left Ontario, Canada June this year went to Alaska returned 2 months later. One of the best trips yet.Best of luck
Rebel
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
Ip5151
I have a question. I am taking that trip next year and was wondering if you found internet (wifi) in most of the campgrounds? I will need internet connection from time to time to conduct banking transactions. Can you give me any insight on this.
Thanks in advance
wifi shouldn't be a problem, as mentioned, it might be a bit slow in some places, but we never had a problem keeping "in touch" with our banking needs. you may not have it in your parking spot, but generally, the office areas, or cafes had it, if needed. the only places we didn't have some kind of wifi was in campgrounds like our state and local campgrounds in the U.S. Most if not all the RV parks had wifi.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #35

My experience with wifi was not that great. Spent several nights sitting on the porches of campground offices struggling with really slow internet. Seldom got it at the campsite.

That was in 2010. Things could be worse now. If people have the bad taste to use Netflix or something similar at a campground, it will eat up all the bandwidth and it will take an hour to send a simple email.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #36

And I forgot this important point: Sitting on the campground office porch is generally unpleasant. They have mosquitoes the size of sparrows and they love "lower 48" blood. You will need a transfusion by the third night if you sit outside much.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I know this sounds crazy, but we met some people who had been to Alaska & the woman said she had a lot of problems when she got bit, so she bought some of those bands you put around your wrist & she put them on both wrists & ankles. She said they worked like a charm. I'm planning to buy a bunch of those
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Can you be a little more specific on those bands. I never heard of them. Where do you get them?
Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Solo, is the only way to go, been there, done that and yes I do have several "T" Shirts too. Doing it Solo gives you the opportunity to see the things and places "YOU" want to see and do, not what a group wants to do.. There, that being said, enjoy your trip, you will find it an awesome drive.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
As to the bands for mosquitos, I've seen them in the drug stores, usually around the counter, they look like those squiggley key chains. The lady also told me she bought some that were flat like those dog flea collars, I haven't seen any of those yet, but she said she also bought those usually in drug stores, but sometimes in the sports stores in the camping section.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
ANTI-MOSQUITO BRACELET, bug repellent, dr. rechell, mosquito,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mosquito-Rep.../dp/B003CZJMD6

I seldom get bit and I always stand near people who get bit a lot.

For whatever reason Mosquitoes do not come near me.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the information, I'll look into getting some.

ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote