Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Alaska

I am planning on traveling from Ohio to Alaska in 2013. Looking for feedback as to traveling solo or in a caravan. Using the Milepost book takes a lot of guessing out of the equation. Please provide me with insite and experience.

Norm, Pat and Louie(the wonder dog)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post
I am planning on traveling from Ohio to Alaska in 2013. Looking for feedback as to traveling solo or in a caravan. Using the Milepost book takes a lot of guessing out of the equation. Please provide me with insite and experience.

Pers. I would not pay for a group ride. I just come back from the Alaska Highway. I want to drive at the end of March 13 the ICE ROAD from Inuvik to TUK. No big deal. It's just 4,000 km to get to Inuvik. I just did a little testrun. Just wanted to see, if I stay awake on that road..... was in my VW GOLF TDI....

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We've done the Alaska trip twice, and have shared campgrounds with the Caravans, and have had friends who have done it that way and wouldn't do it again. We aren't the type to join in with a group, and they were. The Caravans plan everything for you, and if that makes your life easier, then that would work for you, we found that there were places where we wanted more than one to explore, and in that particular place the Caravans had only scheduled one day. You'll get feedback both ways, so good luck. Alaska is a great place and one that you HAVE to see if you can.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am really interested in doing an Alaska trip someday. Don't know anything about this. Does one have to cross part of Canada to get there? If so does that mean a passport? Been so long since I've been to Canada. I think they changed the border laws after 911. Any info would be nice...although I'm not trying to take over this post.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

We drove from CO to AK this year. Took our time for sure, 14 weeks, but most do it quicker. Yes, passport required. Most campgrounds don't open until end of May, so don't go too early. Milepost was great for information. Make sure you MH is in good shape and make the drive without problems, i.e. Good tires etc. Something to protect the front of you tow car if you take one, we got alot of rock chip on front of tow car,, but had a cover on the windsheld to protect it. For the most of the trips roads where good and not a poblem until we got above Whitehorse where ice heaves made it slow but driveable with care. Our trip we put on 8,354 miles on MH plus miles on tow car. Food eating out was expensive. We went solo, and think that's the only way to go, your pace, your schedule. Let us know if you have more questions

Skip
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post

we went with a Caravan in 2008, had a great time, enjoyed it alot, and met new traveling buddies. (go with caravan that has 8-12 rigs, smaller is better) We go long with several of the couples who eventually became future travel buddies, meeting up in various locations through out the USA. There are 5 couples who will do it again in 2013, on our own. we are a social group, like each others company, and 2 heads are better than one, for planning and coming up with ideas for what to do and see while up there. but if the price of a Caravan seems high and you find it best to travel alone, you can always go on line to one of the Caravan sites and copy one of there itineraries and use it as a guide along with the most recent copy of the Milepost. we'll leave the Pacific Northwest the middle of May and head home towards the end of July/1st of August. as a side note, there were 6 of us who left the caravan to make a 4 day side trip to Dawson City, as the origianl route did not include Dawson City, most Caravans will along you to leave the group and rejoin later if you like. and again, if you chose a caravan, size matters, smaller is better. Don't consider a group larger than 15 rigs, thats 30 people, which is sometimes to many people to move from event to event.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #7

We take the Alcan everyother year going to the 'lower 48' to see family. Being that I like to drive, it is nothing for me to cover 500-600 miles a day or more. Being that the DW has finally retired we will be able to take a little longer to drive through Canada and enjoy some of the towns/sites. I could not take a caravan as they take time to 'smell the roses' and enjoy their selves. As long as one remembers that you are in 'another country' and that they have their owns rules you are fine. Yes one will need a passport along with proof of insurance for the vehicles.
Even though we have driven the Alcan several times, we always get a Mile Post as there is always interesting information in it. Plus it help you plan your trip.
Yes the section of road from Bruwash Landing to Beaver Creek is NOT the best and one needs to take it slowly. Other then that section, the road for the most part is good. This year the road was closed because of washed out roads so make sure that you have enough fuel, water and food. Other years the road has been closed for major forest fires, so one never knows.
The trip up here is well worth the expense and one that you will want to make again.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I work in AK but live in OH.

The longest part of the trip is in Canada. 6 days across Canada and 5 days across the lower 48. 11 days is typical from Anchorage to Middletown, OH. No time for sightseeing though, just drive and sleep.

Passport is definitely required when crossing the CA/US border in wither direction. Actually you can get in to Canada with your birth certificate but the US wont let you back in without a passport.

With 2 drivers we once made it from Anchorage to Chicago in 81 hours. Dropped my friend off in CHicago then headed on to Ohio, made it as far as Lafayette, IN. Pulled in to a rest are for a couple hours sleep and woke up 14 hours later.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
I am really interested in doing an Alaska trip someday. Don't know anything about this. Does one have to cross part of Canada to get there? If so does that mean a passport? Been so long since I've been to Canada. I think they changed the border laws after 911. Any info would be nice...although I'm not trying to take over this post.
The only way I can think of getting to Alaska without a passport or crossing any part of Canada is by taking a ferry from Washington State, although I don't know if this would outweigh the cost of fuel but it sure would be a lot less wear and tear on the RV. We have taken our RV and Toad on several trip around the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound and found it quite enjoyable, and i imagine that way into Alaska would be something to see.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #10

Regarding the Milepost, here's my advice - Buy one, read it this winter, use the big map inside. It's full of information regarding campgrounds, but il by no means includes all of them. Probably like Woodall's etc, it costs money for a campground to get listed. There a many campgrounds between towns that aren't fancy but are cheap.

Do not get excited about the Milepost cautions about this hill or that hill with tight winding curves etc. They are greatly exaggerated. Many times we would be dreading some hill and would suddenly realize it was ten miles ago.
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

I would also recommend getting the camping books from the Church's to augment the Milepost:

About Mike and Terri Church

We did the trip in June/July this year and had a great time. We had a general plan, but not a day by day plan. You will find interesting things to see and do all along the way in BC, Yukon and Alaska. There will be things that interest you that you did not know about and want to explore.

By the way, traveling early in the season, we did not encounter problems getting into campgrounds nor did we have issues with mosquitoes.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are currently in Fairbanks Ak on our 3rd trip here. 1rst time with a caravan[wit] 2nd and 3rd on our own with 2 other rigs. We are also from Ohio. We don't regret the caravan trip but on our own we are free to do what we want when we want. Example: Denali N.P., with the caravan you may have 2 days there, with the weather,your chances or seeing the mountain are small in 2 days. This time we stayed in the Park [you wont do that with a caravan] for a week. Had 3good days weatherwise. As Far as the route, consider the price of fuel in Canada vrs. the price in the states: we payed up to $1.55 per liter in the Yukon and similar prices in B.C. All that said there are some beautiful sights to see if you cross over from Montana.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #13

Solo is the way to go
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We just got back from Alaska without a caravan. While I think it would be a nice way to meet people, we enjoyed Alaska on our own terms and schedule. I am not sure I would be willing to pay the expense in money and time to a caravan. To each his own, though.