Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
What is the earliest that one can leave from Vancouver B.C. to go to Whitehorse. I plan on being in Sask. on the 1st of July.
We don't cross the U.S. border any earlier than May 20-25. Any earlier the ice will still be on the lakes and they're prettier without.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #16

May 30, 2012 Kluane lake at Destruction Bay was over half frozen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen portion of Kluane Lake.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	74915  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
DW and I are also planning an Alaska trip next year. We haven't finalized any dates as yet, but are looking at early rather than later.
It was mentioned in this thread that the mosquitoes weren't bad in late July. From other's experience, when are the mosquitoes and black flies at their worst?

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Mostly when you are in any forests.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #19

We were there last year and are planning on heading back up next year. I used mosquito repellent with Deet and they did not bother me. A local gave me advice relating to the mosquitos. He suggested not eating bananas for 2 months prior to heading to Alaska and also begin taking garlic pills during that time period. Will give it a try next year. Hopefully, he wasn't pulling my leg!!!
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
DW and I are also planning an Alaska trip next year. We haven't finalized any dates as yet, but are looking at early rather than later.
It was mentioned in this thread that the mosquitoes weren't bad in late July. From other's experience, when are the mosquitoes and black flies at their worst?

We found most (or they found us) when we parked close to a lake or pond. One suggestion that helps is having a fan you can run outside. It doesn't take much breeze to move the mosquitoes away.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #21

Wish we could combine the pages for travel to Alaska it would make easier disseminate information without over lap. See my post Alaska 2015, I am glad to help with travel info.

Alaska Hwy travel update
I just returned to Alaska (my home).
AKBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #22

Hi all,

we are planning a family trip to Alaska from Northern California. Will be leaving on the last day of school in June 2015. Will be in a 32ft Winnie Vista. Will be reading this forum for advice and tips.

For those who have gone before, did you plan an a stop for everynight, or just found a place to boondock most nights? Are there rest stops on the BC and Yukon routes into alaska?

Thanks
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippongachi View Post
Hi all,

we are planning a family trip to Alaska from Northern California. Will be leaving on the last day of school in June 2015. Will be in a 32ft Winnie Vista. Will be reading this forum for advice and tips.

For those who have gone before, did you plan an a stop for everynight, or just found a place to boondock most nights? Are there rest stops on the BC and Yukon routes into alaska?

Thanks
My DW and I are heading north to Alaska in early to mid May. (I posted a rough game plan in another "Alaska" thread I started)

My prior trips to Alaska and along the Alaskan Hwy had been by motorcycle and car but I have also done a good deal of research on the RV relevant issues.

You may need reservations for July 4th and while in the Denali area. We plan on holding back on making those until we get near those dates and have a better idea of where we'll be then. Other than that, we'll be playing it my ear, getting campgrounds on the day they are needed and doing a good deal of boondocking. In Alaska, boondocking is allowed basically anywhere other than where there are signs stating it is not.

As for Rest Stops in BC and the Yukon... Once you start to head north, away from the southern most populated areas you won't find the traditional Rest Stops you may be accustomed to. You will find more basic rest stops with outhouse type facilities but the further north you go the fewer you'll find. If you question is in respect to boondocking at rest stops, you see many others simply pulling off the highway at turnouts and doing their thing there.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #24

There are not really traditional rest stops. We only saw a couple of those on our trip. There are however numerous turnouts and the only thing they usually offer is trash cans. We stayed in one in BC and no one even stopped while we were there. We felt quite safe. Those turnouts are pretty important so you can get out of the way of crazy drivers.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #25

If you really want to get "Alaska Fever" go over to RVForum and read about the adventures of several of their members trips to Alaska. They will give you the "fever" to head north.
Have Fun,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #26

How important is it to get the 2015 Milepost? Will it be a lot different from the 2014? I see on amazon.com that the 2015 will not be available until after March.

TIA
RV Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #27

If you have the 2014, I would think it would be sufficient. They were working on the 2015 this past summer so it is always about a year behind. We have an extended fuel tank and we tried to drive less than 250 miles a day so we only fueled up twice when actually on the road traveling. Fuel stations are few and far between and some of the services listed in the Milepost were closed. To us, the most important part of the Milepost was the location of the turnouts so we could get out of the way of faster moving traffic. It also gives possible wild life sightings along your route.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #28

The Milepost is good for maps, history of the roads and area and mile marker information. Don't rely on it for camping information. They are paid ads.

For an excellent campground book of Canada and Alaska, go online and order Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping'.

Also, don't forget to order the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book. One glacier cruise will pay for the book.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote