Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

Alaska bound 2015

We are thinking to take our 99 Itaska Suncruiser from Vancouver BC to Alaska.Would rather go about 20 July and coming back end of August.I have done this trip twice already with car and trailer.Last time was in 2000.
I like this time of year as there are less mosquitoes, less tourists and the start of nice fall colors.In those days I did a lot of boon docking.Rarely did I spend a night at a campsite.My RV has only 35,000 miles and I just put on new tires.I will be towing a Geo Tracker.
Wondering if anybody has Alaska Fever?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

I don't believe you ever get over the fever. We've been twice. Once by motorcycle in 2007, then used the motorhome in 2012. Our next trip will be in 2016 because of commitments we have for 2015.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We have been thinking about a return trip to Alaska for next June, we were there in 2010 and had a great time. We were only able to stay for a month because we were in Arizona and Nevada for 5 months, this time I hope will be a little longer. There is so much to see and do in Alaska the time just blew by. Never had any bugs but I do know mid July and August can be awful. I boondock while traveling but stay at full hookup RV parks if we park longer then 2 or 3 days. We find the tanks fill quickly and bird baths just don't work for? Well enough said. We would stop at Whitehorse and Dawson City for a few days on the way back.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

Alaska 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
We have been thinking about a return trip to Alaska for next June, we were there in 2010 and had a great time. We were only able to stay for a month because we were in Arizona and Nevada for 5 months, this time I hope will be a little longer. There is so much to see and do in Alaska the time just blew by. Never had any bugs but I do know mid July and August can be awful. I boondock while traveling but stay at full hookup RV parks if we park longer then 2 or 3 days. We find the tanks fill quickly and bird baths just don't work for? Well enough said. We would stop at Whitehorse and Dawson City for a few days on the way back.
I have done 2 trips to Alaska including the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik in 1999 and 2000 plus a drive to Prudoe Bay.The time was 25 July to 10 Sept.
Encountered hardly any mosquitoes and the odd snowflake on higher elevations.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Yes, Alaska does get into your system and it is hard to get it out. I have been here for 45 years! We drive to the 'lower 48' every other year and always enjoy the trip. There is so much to see/do, that it can not all be done in one trip, but for those the travel in RV's there are so many places to go and see that it is difficult to do them all in one life time. I guess that is part of the joy of traveling in RV's.
For all of those planning a trip up to Alaska, plan well, take your time, enjoy what the State has to offer and travel safe!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am leaving Southern CA around April 24th next year heading to Fairbanks AK. I have stuff to do in Oregon and Washington before crossing the border about May 1st. I should be in Fairbanks by the middle of May.

Two months in Fairbanks visiting my younger son and two months in Anchorage visiting my older son and GK's.

Lots of stuff to do all around Alaska. Every time I am there I always plan at least one day of Halibut fishing and another day of Salmon fishing to stock the freezer. Then off to Seward to take an all day boat tour to see the sea life, wildlife and glaciers.

Will be heading back to the lower 48 by the second or third week in September. That will take us through the Canadian Rockies and into the US around Montana. Then a slow meandering trip to upstate NY to spend the fall with family and finally south around the first of November to Florida for the winter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

This was May 31st heading out of Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory, heading north to Tok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Rd. to Tok.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	74590  
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post

This was May 31st heading out of Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory, heading north to Tok.
Been there and done that on my trip to Alaska in 2012 except it was a 50 mile stretch of road between Haines Junction and Kluane Lake just before Destruction Bay. As we climbed out of Haines Junction it was snowing lightly but by the time we got to a higher altitude there was 5 inches on the road.

If it happens again, I will find a place to pull over until it clears. Driving a 72 foot rig in that stuff is no fun.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

We were stuck in Tok overnight because of 4" on the ground. It melted the next day but was beautiful while it lasted.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Boondocking Alaska Yukon

I wouldn't mind a list of boondocking sites on the Alaska trip
Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winship View Post
I wouldn't mind a list of boondocking sites on the Alaska trip

Get the "Travelers Guide To Alaskan Camping" by Mike and Terri Church.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Buy yourself the 2015 Edition of the "Milepost" which should come out March 1st 2015.

It will list all the places where you can boondock in Canada and Alaska. It also has campgrounds, RV Parks and everything else that you may need for a great trip up and back.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
What is the earliest that one can leave from Vancouver B.C. to go to Whitehorse. I plan on being in Sask. on the 1st of July.

I am taking the Hwy 37 route and back the Alcan to Dawson Creek on the return route.

The reason I ask is that I do not want it to be too cold and I do not want to drive when there is snow on the ground.

Your information would be greatly apprieciated.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By all means, turn west in Calgary Alberta on Hwy 1, Icefield Parkway. This is about a 280 mile loop that comes back out at Edmonton Alberta, (there is a couple of roads north after the ice fields Hwy. 40 & Hwy 32, take either for a shortcut if you are continuing north).

This loop is some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, some says the prettiest drive in the world. You will not regret it. There is a charge for going through this hwy. I believe it cost us $16 for 2 day drive through but worth much more.

burfurd