Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Alaska Caravan

Hi, I am new so I hope this is the right post for this forum. We will be traveling back to Alaska with our new RV. We plan on crossing into Canda (via Montana) the end of May or beginning of June. If anyone is interested in caravanning, please feel free to contact us at joyce.minarik@gmail.com. Thanks, Joyce

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Since you are from Alaska, would you mind sharing some of your experiences
travelling back and forth with RV? Alaska is a dream trip of mine but not sure what year I will do it.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Since you are from Alaska, would you mind sharing some of your experiences
travelling back and forth with RV? Alaska is a dream trip of mine but not sure what year I will do it.

Thanks.
X2. It's on our bucket list
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

We've been twice, and I think the best suggestion if you've never been, is to ignore all the horror stories about 100's of miles of dirt roads, and rocks flying everywhere. Some of the worst roads we've been on is here in the lower 48. I say just.....GO! It's a trip you'll never forget. So much to see & do, you don't want to race up & back, but take your time and enjoy. Some days we only went 100 miles, because we saw a beautiful place to stop. And it's especially enjoyable if you don't have any time constraints. We crossed into Alaska May 31st, and didn't get back into the U.S. until Sept. If it wasn't for a grandaughter getting married we'd be going back this summer. But we'll definately be heading back in 2016.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

The whole route is now paved. You will encounter areas of construction as you do in the lower 48. You just go slow. The drive to Alaska is nothing to be worried about. You'll have plenty of company of other RVers the whole trip. You'll even meet up with some of the same people as you go. Everyone is driving the same road and using the same RV parks. We boondocked 90% of our time in wonderful scenic areas along the roadside.

Personally, we would not recommend caravanning. You will be limited to a schedule and doing what everyone else wants to do. Some areas you might want to stay longer and some shorter. I'd say that most go it alone for a more enjoyable trip. It's not like going to a foreign country. There are plenty of RV parks along the way along with fuel stops (drive on the top half of your tank and fill when you see it) repair facilities, and grocery stores. The bigger cities have the same types of stores as found in the lower 48, including WalMarts. The people are very helpful and friendly. Canada and the Yukon are gorgeous.

It's a wonderful trip and it's best to plan for three months to do it. Many will not do it more than once so you might as well see all there is to see - and it's plenty!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Alaska travels

Dear OSOK, travelling the Alcan is one experience everyone should try.
There are good roads & bad, just like anywhere.
We have traversed the Alcan so many times because it is such a wonderful trip.
We have photos of Mnt. goats on the road w/ their babies. Buffaloes wandering all around, wolves & yes even Bears.
We have seen water so blue it looks surreal. We have eaten our lunch by lakes w/ mountains shooting straight up into the sky.
Hope you decide to take the trip, it is an adventure. Joyce.minarik@gmail.com
Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You can see our Alaskan trip on our blog below. Up the Al-Can Highway, Dawson City, Top of the World Road, flight into Denali, fishing in Homer, MH on a ferry on the Intercoastal Waterway to Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

RVGR8escape

Mt. McKinley from our plane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01819.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	87037  
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

I joined irv.com when I moved up to the 2009 class A 26" we have now. Purchased the condo/bago with 1800 miles and now over 40,000. Much $$$ in gas but have crossed the country and seen many wonder sights and met many wonderful people.
On July 11, 2015 we will put aboard the Alaskan Marine Highway at Bellingham and travel the intercostal 4 1/2 days to Whitter. Arriving on July 16 at 6 am. I'll then of load and travel 160 miles with my wife and two doggies to Anchorage to the Golden Nugget RV Park where we are reserved for three nights. The plan will be to drive to Fairbanks.
I have no clue as to what to expect. Checking things out now and making plans. I know not what routes to take but the plan is to drive back to California before winter? Plans are like a budget. Out the window! I'll be happy to join a group of travelers, opened to exploring. Any suggestions will be heard with open minds and harts. I too do not know what to expect from this post. I think this is my fifth.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Alaska Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve grover View Post
I joined irv.com when I moved up to the 2009 class A 26" we have now. Purchased the condo/bago with 1800 miles and now over 40,000. Much $$$ in gas but have crossed the country and seen many wonder sights and met many wonderful people.
On July 11, 2015 we will put aboard the Alaskan Marine Highway at Bellingham and travel the intercostal 4 1/2 days to Whitter. Arriving on July 16 at 6 am. I'll then of load and travel 160 miles with my wife and two doggies to Anchorage to the Golden Nugget RV Park where we are reserved for three nights. The plan will be to drive to Fairbanks.
I have no clue as to what to expect. Checking things out now and making plans. I know not what routes to take but the plan is to drive back to California before winter? Plans are like a budget. Out the window! I'll be happy to join a group of travelers, opened to exploring. Any suggestions will be heard with open minds and harts. I too do not know what to expect from this post. I think this is my fifth.

In Whitter there is a Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise boat. It was about 5 hours if I remember right. Takes you right up to the face of the glaciers. Really worth the $$$.

Russell
Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #10

Steve Grover: Alaska is very simple to tour. There aren't many paved roads and everyone goes to the same places. You mentioned Anchorage and Fairbanks. Those are normal cities. They're not Alaska. Just drive the figure 8 highway from a map and you'll see all of Alaska. Be SURE to reserve a site in Denali National Park. Riley Creek, Savage and Teklanika are the campgrounds. Take the all day bus shuttle siteseeing trip to see the park. The excursion bus trip is more expensive and doesn't stop as much as the shuttle buses.

Also, be sure you drive down the Kenai Peninsula from Anchorage and spend at least a week stopping at the different areas. It's beautiful.

We took our glacier cruise out of Valdez on the tour given by Stan Stephens. It was fantastic.

Purchase the Milepost for good maps and general history.
Purchase Mike and Terri Church's book "Alaskan Camping" which includes the Yukon and Canada, also. That's all you'll need for finding campgrounds, RV parks and boondocking sites.
Purchase the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book. One glacier day cruise will pay for the book and a glacier cruise is a must! There are other good attractions in the book. For example, in Fairbanks the Sternwheeler trip is very nice.

There are basically two way of exiting Alaska. One is the Alaskan Hwy and the other is the Cassier Hwy. Both are excellent paved roads (except during periods of road repair - just like in the lower 48). We've driven both - the Alaskan on the way up and the Cassier on the return in order to try and catch the feeding bears at Hyder.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

Definately come back on the Cassier, and stop at Stewart/Hyder for the bear watching. Take the time to drive by towed up to Salmon glacier, it's an awesome sight to be high above the glacier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz #9.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	88010  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #12

Not sure how to reply to a post.....here goes!

Twogypsies,
Thanks so much. I will definitely research the provided information. It is exactly what I was hoping to receive. Looking at maps, I'm not sure if I see the figure 8 HWY. you referred too. I do have some questions, like is there reason to go north of Fairbanks? Is the route back south from Fairbanks to Dawson City? or (2,1) to Whitehorse over to Dawson Creek.
FYI I was stationed at Cape Decision Lighthouse on Kuiu Isl. about 1/2 way between Ketchikan and Sitka. I returned to Prince of Wales Isl. in 2007 through Prince George to Prince Rupert by pickup with camper and small boat, and returned to the Lighthouse in 2010 by air to Juneau, high speed ferry to Sitka, float plane to Port Alexander and small boat to Cape Decision.
Time spent in AK has been in the south. I'm excited to plan this visit to the central.
Which is your first choice RV park in Denali? Maybe instead of heading towards Anchorage on arrival we should head to Homer and find a RV stop for several days on the Kenai.
I live at North Lake Tahoe, Tahoe City. I would like to talk with you directly on the phone. If you could, would you call me at 530-581-2189?
Thanks, Steve
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #13

We live up here and love it! On the other hand we REALLY want to tour the Lower 48 for a winter.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #14

You can read about our Alaska trip last summer here: jtappen.wordpress.com

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote