Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Alaska Haul Rd

We are planning a trip up to Deadhorse this summer. Just wondering if anyone has done the trip with their TT and have any feedback?
Thank you in advance😊

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other than being able to say 'I drove the Dalton Highway', I'm curious to learn what would be the draw to Deadhorse?

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #3

I did it on a motorcycle. That wasn't too bad, but it can and will be hairy in places, especially when they're working on the road.

A very small number of people do it with TTs and MHs but it's tough on the equipment. Eight hundred miles of gravel, mud, baby head sized rocks, sharp flint rocks, very steep hills etc will beat the snot out of your vehicles. If you don't have 4wd you may not even make it up some of the steeper hills like the Roller Coaster and Atigan Pass. Downhill will be just as bad because of the risk of jackknifing.

There are no, repeat NO, services on the Haul Road or at Prudhoe Bay. If you break something, you're looking at several thousand dollars for the tow, depending on how far you are from Fairbanks.

You need to do some more research before you decide. This is serious business. People die on this road every year because they don't know what they're doing. Most of this road was built by piling 10-20 feet of fill on top of the permafrost. So if you run off the road you can disappear down the side and may not be found for a while. And remember, If you do crash, sometimes the bears are the first responders.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Dalton Hwy

I suppose a sense of adventure. ). We lived in the Yukon for 12 years before it had pavement so we are no strangers to the far north. We have done the Dempster highway to the Arctic through Canada and enjoyed it immensely. The scenery and lack of people in these areas is beyond compare but want to do my homework ahead of time.
Cheers
Filterman
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Hi JM
Thanks for your quick response. I've done a couple of years of research on it already. We are seasoned "gravel road" drivers. We RV'd in the Yukon all during the late 60s and early 70's before pavement got to that country. If you look at the Dempster Hwy in Canada, from Dawson City YT to Inuvik NT, we did that a few years ago and loved it. The ritual is slow and steady ...nothing over 80kph (50mph in your language). I was just hoping for some first hand feedback from someone who had hauled it in an RV. We are already equipped with an "extra" spare tire for both our truck and trailer and I'll be putting some proper truck tires on the trailer prior to that trip.
Look forward to your response.
Cheers
Old 01-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

RV.net has a forum just for Alaska/Canada with seasoned travelers participating. You might want to make a post there. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Hi JM
Thanks for your quick response. I've done a couple of years of research on it already. We are seasoned "gravel road" drivers. We RV'd in the Yukon all during the late 60s and early 70's before pavement got to that country. If you look at the Dempster Hwy in Canada, from Dawson City YT to Inuvik NT, we did that a few years ago and loved it. The ritual is slow and steady ...nothing over 80kph (50mph in your language). I was just hoping for some first hand feedback from someone who had hauled it in an RV. We are already equipped with an "extra" spare tire for both our truck and trailer and I'll be putting some proper truck tires on the trailer prior to that trip.
Look forward to your response.
Cheers
You will do fine ,slow and steady is the way to do it. I did it this last summer on the motorcycle during the worst conditions rain and wind all the way. 13 1/2 hours each way. I did see several class C and a few trailers. Watch out for the semi trucks they haul ass every day, they go at least 60 mph. When ever I saw a semi coming I pulled over as far as I could . Not much to see no restaurants one gas station. No problem dry camping saw several rigs. I stayed at Prudhoe bay motel , just a bunch of trailers stuck together for the oil workers. They had a huge chow hall I think anyone could just walk in and eat they never asked me for any proof of staying at motel. To go on Prudhoe bay tour it takes a 24 hour clearance check. Check out milepost 219 the mountain is sliding and will cover road within a few years, they know they have a problem. I am sure you know your one last gas stop is Coldfoot then 250 miles to Deadhorse. Personally I would never drive my rv up but then most people would never think of going by motorcycle. It makes for great memories.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

We drove the MH to Fairbanks hauling the motorcycle. While staying at Riverside CG there was a guy next to us who pulled his TT up and back no problems.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I was worried about some Lower 48 guy thinking it was like Disneyland.

One problem I had on the motorcycle (and I had been warned) was that some places were smooth as glass (actually shiny) and you could run 70mph if you wanted to. Then suddenly it would turn into ankle deep gravel or big rocks without warning. I heard this is usually how people get hurt. So, like you said, slow and steady is the key.

Whatever, it is a glorious trip. Amazing scenery and all the isolation you want.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

We were up in Deadhorse 3 years ago. Loved it, but we did it a bit differently. We did it on a tour where we flew up and they drove us back in a large passenger van. They also drive up and let you fly back. A few advantages to that were that we didn't have to make our own security arrangements to get into the oil fields or travel to the Arctic Ocean. If you want to do it yourself, you need to contact the Homeland Security folks with a passport number and other info 2-3 days before you want to take that bus ride. You can only enter that area by riding their bus. The tour also secured us quarters in Deadhorse and meals while there. Also quarters at Coldfoot and a tour of Wiseman, AK by the mayor, postmaster and 10% of the population (all the same man). Great fun and neat sweatshirts for sale at their "store".

The overall road conditions we experienced were good for a gravel road. Some washboarding but no very loose gravel and no head size boulders. Some construction which is inevitable. We chose the tour because we were pulling a toad with a household freezer and were afraid if we hit a lot of washboard we could damage it. Without that I would have driven it in the Tiffin and not worried. Plan on stopping in Coldfoot to refuel and spend the night. Watch for the trucks as some fly and if you have a CB radio, bring it and monitor it. The truckers are great grizzly spotters and will gladly share road info with you. Lots of raindeer, griz, musk ox and birds.

Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote