Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Alaska MH Trip

What is the one thing you most enjoyed while on your trip to Alaska?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Wow! So many wonders at every turn. We really enjoyed our stay in Haines. Stayed at Oceanside RV Park directly on the Lin Arm. Bald Eagles all over the place and also saw a humpback whale breach, just like in the insurance commercial. The campground is very simple but has a multi million dollar view of azure waters with snow cover mountains in the background. Joyce, the owner is very hospitable and truly appreciates her guests. She usually has a dungeness crab feast, where the campers bring a covered dish and she will sell ya a crab for around six bucks each.(weather permitting her crab guy to fish) A few of us helped clean/prepare the crab fresh off the boat(free how to lesson, Tom Sawyer style, from Joyce).

The CG is within close walking distance into town and an amazing bakery. Also there are some great restaurants as well as some good seafood carts. Also there's some wonderful bear watching as they catch salmon in the weir just up the road(locals can tell you where to go). The Alaska State Fair was there(July 27/Aug. 4)as well. We could have easily stayed two weeks but had to get on down the road.

The ferry ride to Skagway topped off our stay. Had a great on-board breakfast that braced us for the Skagway stay. Take the train ride there. Stayed at Garden City RV...much to do there(Skagway) as well. Alaska is just full of adventure at every turn. Amazing trip. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
One thing!!! When people ask where our favorite place has been, we say something like "Well there is the lower 48 and then there is Alaska . . .". I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Bob
Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
theres so much chasing bears out of cg in anchorage.stayed at same cg in haines than ferry ride to skagway.telketna mt mckinly, salman glacierin hider,keni penninsula,o ya hommer spit. seen so much.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

My question is how are the roads heard lots of horror story's don't want to beat up the mh planning on going up that way in 2013
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Enjoying the beauty that God created!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy blase View Post
My question is how are the roads heard lots of horror story's don't want to beat up the mh planning on going up that way in 2013
Our 1st trip to Alaska was in 2009 and we only had about 40-50 miles of what I would call bad roads. One 15-20 mile section was being rebuilt and while the ride wasn't bad, they were spraying water on the road so by the time we got to the end our little grey Escape was a nice even light brown!! The other section was on the way home via the Cassiar Hwy. The section was 20-25 miles and was very rough. We did have about 60 miles of road that had permafrost areas, first one caught me by surprise and I think the MH and toad were airborn for a few seconds!! Yes, we shook a little on some road but we slowed down and had no problems at all.

Here is a link to our photos and some text explaining our trip
ronniesphotos' Photos : RV Vacations : Alaska - 2009 | SmugMug

We are going to do it again in 2013 but plan on spending a longer time at each location and check out some new locations!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

We drove the Alcan lastMay/June. The road was fine all the way up to the Yukon where the frost heaves caused gravel sections and split roadways. Just drive slow & avoid the slits.

I agree with others--it was all fun. Especially the 75 and 30 pound halibuts we caught while in Homer area! Although getting splattered with sea water while the captain shot the halibut was unexpected!

We have a MH and a truck camper. We took the camper and was glad we did. Small, easy to park, good on $6/gal fuel. Plus we spent most of our time touring, not sitting in a MH watching TV! Lots of fun. Get the milepost. We wore ours out. Also pay $100 for a alaska discount book. We saved triple that on tours (2 for 1 type thing) . Have fun!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Roads can be a little rough in some areas but in general they're not as bad as some make out. One thing you can't do and that's drive like you're in the lower 48. Winters in Canada and Alaska are harsh and it takes it's toll on the roads. Some sections of the roadbed has to be completely remove and then rebuilt and the top layer is small stones/rocks that are embedded into the roadway by a heavy roller. The rest of the compacting is left to traffic to finish the job. It's dirty and messy and those that drive too fast can and do damage to other drivers behaving themselves. They call these sections 'gravel breaks' and we traveled some, months later and the same sections were still flinging dirt and gravel. These breaks are usually well marked and you better observe the warning cones/signs.

Also, the frost heaves, even though not repaired, are well marked as well. I learned the hard way that one should slow down for those...they can sneak up on you.

Alaska is, as they say, 'the last frontier'. Sure the roads can be rough and it can be slow going at times, but should that stop you from going? NO WAY! I think overall, it is the most majestic and wondrous place we have ever been and there seems to be something exciting around every turn. Alaska IS what it IS...and I can see why some visitors never leave. I guess 'immense beauty' doesn't always come easy, and THAT somehow, only seems right. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

There is an old saying that you shouldn't visit Alaska until you are older.

Reason being is once you have, every where else you go will fail in comparison!

I didn't go via RV but have been there and count every day until I return.

2 pics!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlskaRvr.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	18380   Click image for larger version

Name:	WtrFall.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	18381  

Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #10

Enjoy most? Over a 4 month trip spending less than 3 weeks in CGs.
Why? Because you really get a feel for and understanding of the land, the water, and the people that really live there. In the CGs you mostly get a feel for fellow lower 48ers.
Yes, in a 45footer and towing.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #11

One other thing--THE PEOPLE ARE AMAZING! They were wonderful to us wherever we went. We stopped at a buffalo meat market one day, and a lady and daughter who owned it offered to let us come to their house to watch the finals for American Idol!!! We didn't do it--but should have. That's just one example.

We thought we'd have all kinds of chips in our windshield, paint, broken headlights, etc. We had NOTHING happen until the end of our trip on a beautiful paved road where a truck threw up a rock and chipped the windshield.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #12

Alaska trip blog or post (had many chapters)

I read a blog or whatever sometime back on IRV2 with a detailed rv trip to alaska, it was great and thought I had saved it, but guess it didn't save!! Is there a way to find that total blog or post so I can get it printed out. We are going with 2 other rvers to Alaska on May 13 (starting our trip from CA) of this year and would love to go over that blog with a yellow marker - great info. Would appreciate any info on where to find the beginning to end of the blog. I used the search function in blogs with the word "Alaska" but got nothing in return about the trip I am trying to find.
Thanks to any for any help, Darlene
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

darlene - Change your irv2 search to a Google search and there are zillions of detailed blogs/reports all over the net on AK trips. Pick a couple that suit your tastes.

Another thought - if you are looking for "itinerary" type of info is to look at commercial caravan trip descriptions and work from that...

"Winging it" all through AK/BC/YT makes for a fantastic experience - I just ask the park rangers and true "locals" wherever I am where they think I should go/see next. You'll be surprised what you see and discover from their "non-tourist" eyes.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
i agree go slow after you seen it nothing to compare. we just came threw i 40 smoky mts. the dw looked at me and said this would have been awsome but after ak this are hills.for got top of world hwy watch weather and go slow we seen where that dp went off 15-20 mph tops but we enjoyed it.hope some day we can go back.
safe travles bob,linda & missy