Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Drove from Southeast Texas to Alaska and back last summer in a 38 foot diesel pusher. Canada and expecially the Yukon Territory was worth the trip if we did not go to Alaska. The Scenery was awsome. This is the only way to really experience it. You can look at our trip at

mytripjournal.com/thecoopersnorthtoalaska2012

Go for it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
There are two ways through Canada to the Yukon then Alaska. One is the Alcan through Aberta, the other is up the middle of B.C. through the Okanagan Valley which is worth a trip on its own [ Some of The worlds best White Wine country] then up the klondike goldrush trail to the Yukon. I have met many MH ers who love it so much the have done it numerous times. We went last June and unfortunately only got to Ft. Nelson and could not go any further because the road was washed out for a week. So do to time constraints we turned south and did the gold trail, it was worth it and we will do it again.

Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we did ak in 2011 we love the drive but was limited were to go.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We're planning this trip next year. Is there problems with a 40' MH? We would like to stay in Provincial parks throughout.

Thanks
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't know who you talked to but they obviously don't know anything about Canada. I live in the Okanagan Valley where you would pass through on one of the routes to AK. It is some of the most beautiful country in the world. Much of the area above us is un-touched. Tons of lakes. I have a hard time venturing out of our province of BC as it offers more than many of the states I have traveled to. The Rockie Mountains in Alberta are also some of the most beautiful in the world and unlike any range in the US. If you take either route through, you would never be sorry!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #20

We are leaving in our RV from So Cal at the end of May for 2 months. I want to drive , I have the time and I want to see it all. At this point I'm not interested in a cruise or Ferry, maybe someday. What you are asking has to be answered by yourself as you know what you want to do and see, everyone is different .
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
AK Cruise/Tour

As a consideration for a first time AK trip check out one of the "small boat" tours. A well planned, intense Alaskan experience that gets you much closer to the coastal AK environment than one of the big ship trips with 3000 of your closest friends. Expensive, but a good way to do AK first time. We subsequently did a 13,000 mile round trip in 2.5 months that was more interesting than the land package of the cruise/tour. AK's a big place that requires several modes of transportation to just sample. Lots of factors to consider: expense, time and flexibility.. cruises and ferrys have schedules, some campgrounds we found to be full and we had to wait for a site.

If time and budget were no constraint: - RV up and inland tour - park and take a one week small boat cruise - ferry south to break up the long return trip - spend three months

Enjoy

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2015 WRANGLER JKU toad
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
biz

Monaco Owners Club
we are leaving NC June 9 and heading to Alaska, allowing 2+ months for the trip. Really looking forward to the drive and all to see along the way. Begining to wonder if this is enough time to see the country.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Those that are planning a trip. Are you heading up alone or going with a caravan?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
biz

Monaco Owners Club
We are heading up alone, although we will have another couple with us.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Use your RV....This way you can spend as much or as little time in each spot...you like.

We have family in North Pole AK. (Near Fairbanks) that we visit about every 4th summer including this summer....by flying up. I plan to retire June 1st 2016 and head north to AK. with our RV June 2nd....of that year. You can easily spend 2 months there....Here are a few pics from our last trip....

I figure we can park the RV in my sis-in-laws driveway while were in that section of the state. All the times we have been up there the RV parks never seemed to be that full....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
If your FTers, so time is not an issue, I can't even imagine cruise vs driving as being a comparable alternative. We spent spring and summer traveling up and then traveling Alaska, and it was ALL wonderful. We'll be doing it again as long as we are able.

Forget all the horror storys you have heard-the roads are mostly great (much better than some down here in the lower 48 by the way). We FT-and the reason is for the adventure. This is one of the adventures! We never had one issue with the rig or the truck-and we didn't "bubble wrap" it all, as some seem to suggest. I have a theory about most of those storys-they are old tapes that just keep getting repeated.

As some one else suggested, take the cruise when thats all you can do. Bus in to see some things at some ports of call, and enjoy. But if you want to experience Alaska--take the spring and summer and drive Alaska-IMHO.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I agree...To see the "Real Alaska" you need to travel the interior. A cruise is just a cruise....

Pick some berries...go fishing...watch out for the moose and bears...watch the snow melt....go play golf with a midnight tee time...There are so many pull-offs to check out the views....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
i would certainly consider joining a caravan it is not cheap but all the concerns are dealt with plus you have the advantage of traveling with some like minded people. If you don't go the caravan route there are so many people doing the trip solo it will be easy to hook up with someone to travel with.

Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote