Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Traveled from Seattle to AK in 2010. Traveled solo. We were gone 10 weeks. The drive through BC and Yukon was fantastic. Alaska equally so. We will be going back this summer, leaving 5/15, getting back sometime in August. This time we will go with another couple, just to share the beauty. Regarding the notion of the caravan, save the thousands of $$ that adds to the trip and go solo. On our 2010 trip the only breakdowns we saw along the road were much older rigs with out of date tires, having had a flat. Regarding the Caravan, I realize others disagree, however JMHO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done both, and can say that someone who said it was boring had to sleep alot. The Yukon was fantastic and the sights unforgettable. Now this was towing a trailer in the 60's [dirt road] back then, and when it was an adventure to make the trip. The sharp corners had caution signs saying the amount of people killed there and the date. Kept you always on your toes. They have since stopped doing it. Five years ago I did a cruise, and it was great as well, and well worth the money spent. I have to admit the Al can still brings back memories that I'll never forget. I'm going to make it back up the Al can just to see the difference in traveling on the pavement. To give you some idea of the sights, I had 28 rolls of film for my 35mm camera and used it all before I even reached Alaska. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy your choice, but the road trip will be unforgettable adventure for you. Have a great time.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Traveled from Seattle to AK in 2010. Traveled solo. We were gone 10 weeks. The drive through BC and Yukon was fantastic. Alaska equally so. We will be going back this summer, leaving 5/15, getting back sometime in August. This time we will go with another couple, just to share the beauty. Regarding the notion of the caravan, save the thousands of $$ that adds to the trip and go solo. On our 2010 trip the only breakdowns we saw along the road were much older rigs with out of date tires, having had a flat. Regarding the Caravan, I realize others disagree, however JMHO.
Have to agree with Jeff and Cheryl on this. We're not anti-caravan, as we have done a couple, and the camaraderie that can develop, the places that you might not have seen otherwise, can all be great. But with that being said, the Alaska experience is just too unique for us to have had as good a time had we been traveling in a large pre-scheduled group.

We bought the Alaska tour saver book at Safeway, once in Alaska, and used it many times. On occassion, it required pre-booking, such as a flight through the mountain range, and scheduling on days there were availability. On these occassions, we would stay a little longer somewhere to take advantage. And on more than one occassion, we ended up going somewhere we hadn't planned, based on what the natives told us, or a traveler we met along the way. We only made park reservations once, and thats because we wanted to drive into the interior of Denali Natl Park, and stay in that interior campground for a few days over the 4th of July. As there is only one campground that you are allowed to do this, it does require some advance planning.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #32

On our trip last year we ran into a group of 20ish rental motorhomes that were picked up in Seattle and were being delivered to the rental company in Anchorage. I think they had three weeks to deliver. You might consider researching this as an option. There is a lot of territory to see between the border and Alaska. Then you could cruise back.

Have fun planning your trip.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've hit all lower 48 states in an RV and decided not to go to Alaska in the RV after we did a 12 day land/cruise trip there last year.

You can see similar country in the lower 48 with a lot less driving. I was not all that impressed with Alaska.

Just my humble opinion.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We've hit all lower 48 states in an RV and decided not to go to Alaska in the RV after we did a 12 day land/cruise trip there last year.

You can see similar country in the lower 48 with a lot less driving. I was not all that impressed with Alaska.

Just my humble opinion.
Just my humble opinion-but you didn't see Alaska if you were there on a 12 day land/cruise trip.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
Just my humble opinion-but you didn't see Alaska if you were there on a 12 day land/cruise trip.
X2!
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #36

Heading to Alaska in June

Would love info from anyone who has used RV parks in Alaska. We are going to try and have reservations set and try some boon docking. We we wondering if it is hard to find readily available rv sites during the summer months. Also is there any place we should avoid?:anyone
lmurraytwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by
[I
We've hit all lower 48 states in an RV and decided not to go to Alaska in the RV after we did a 12 day land/cruise trip there last year. [/I]

Just my humble opinion.
]

Just my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I don't agree with either comment Been to all 50 states and Alaska one of top 3 states IMHO! Maybe the itinerary on the 12 day was not the best, maybe the weather was poor, etc...not sure, but we did a little over 2 weeks (RV, Alaska Ferry system, One-day cruises) and had a fantastic time!!! Saw a lot of the coast and even inland as far as Tok. I agree some areas inland are not that developed and rustic, like Copper Center, but that's what makes it great and tough to compare to say, Yellowstone/Tetons For the other comments...maybe you meant can't see *all* of Alaska.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurraytwst View Post
Would love info from anyone who has used RV parks in Alaska. We are going to try and have reservations set and try some boon docking. We we wondering if it is hard to find readily available rv sites during the summer months. Also is there any place we should avoid?:anyone
We spent the spring and summer traveling to and around Alaska two years ago. The only place we got reservations way in advance was in Denali Natl Park as we wanted to stay in the only park you are allowed to drive in to. This one does get booked. Everywhere else we were able to find as we went-with no problems or advance reservations.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree completely with the post from bigmichael (#38). 2 months in AK and the only reservations were in Denali, Teklanika campground. A must if you have time and plan 1 year out. Don't rush through Canada. The western Canada provinces, and The Yukon, are super.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Spent 3 months touring AK with a front radiator diesel MH. Now two MHs later I now have a rear radiator MH. I'm thinking the road dust would clog it up in a hurry. Add rain water to the dust and you might have "sticky" mud. Any thoughts on this? deSanford PS it was a Motor- homer's DREAM vacation.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The only gravel roads of any distance are the Denali Hwy, which no one uses anymore, and the Dalton up to the Arctic Circle and Prudoh bay. All the others are hard. Except the construction detours. I did it with a rear rad. and washed it out in BC on the return trip. I did go up the Dalton to the Circle and about 120 miles in the Denali to go fishing. If you have a side rad. it would be even cleaner.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #42

I'm sure we are going to love it. We are newbies though. We have learned a lot thus far, and realize we still have so much more to learn.
lmurraytwst is offline   Reply With Quote