Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Alaska: RV or not?

Hey all-

We'll be in the southwest US in late spring, and we would like to experience Alaska. We have a nice 40' motorhome and could surely drive it, which we know has certain advantages, but we also want to consider the *possibility* of flying up and taking a cruise/land excursion combination. I guess I'm factoring in the 10,000 mile round trip, and the associated costs. Don't get me wrong; we're full-time RV'ers who aren't afraid to travel, but we've seen much of the west coast, all the way to Canada, and the (long) drive up through Canada, to get to Alaska, might be kinda dull (so we've been told).

I think we're somewhat treating Alaska as a destination, and while of course we'd see some good stuff along the way, I'm not sure that what we'd see would justify the high cost of getting there at 8 MPG.

Anyway, a long-winded way of asking for opinions of RV'ing there, versus a fly/cruise/land excursion.

Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Dave
dshinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

We drove our 40' MH to Alaska last summer and had a great time. Plenty to see in Canada also providing you take your time. We took our time, 14 weeks in all, 5 weeks in Alaska and parked the HM and drove the toad to see the sights. We have done the cruise before, but there is nothing like seeing the sights and wild life along the highways out the big windshild of the MH.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

My wife and I have taken a cruise up to Alaska twice and it is beautiful, there are some nice deals out there at the moment.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick View Post
Hey all-

We'll be in the southwest US in late spring, and we would like to experience Alaska. We have a nice 40' motorhome and could surely drive it, which we know has certain advantages, but we also want to consider the *possibility* of flying up and taking a cruise/land excursion combination. I guess I'm factoring in the 10,000 mile round trip, and the associated costs. Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Dave
A third option could be fly there (maybe Anchorage or Juneau), do the one day cruises, and then rental RV for two+ weeks. The Cruise excursions will not take you too far inland, where the RV will. One day cruises can also get you closer to the icebergs than a cruise ship Had a hefty overcharge experience with "Alaska Travel Adventures", but plenty of other RV rental places. Feel free to message for details.

A few good books on RV'ing in Alaska you may want to pick up.

For others, I would highly recommend a two week minimum in an RV in Alaska if your plan is to explore multiple cities.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick
Hey all-

We'll be in the southwest US in late spring, and we would like to experience Alaska. We have a nice 40' motorhome and could surely drive it, which we know has certain advantages, but we also want to consider the *possibility* of flying up and taking a cruise/land excursion combination. I guess I'm factoring in the 10,000 mile round trip, and the associated costs. Don't get me wrong; we're full-time RV'ers who aren't afraid to travel, but we've seen much of the west coast, all the way to Canada, and the (long) drive up through Canada, to get to Alaska, might be kinda dull (so we've been told).

I think we're somewhat treating Alaska as a destination, and while of course we'd see some good stuff along the way, I'm not sure that what we'd see would justify the high cost of getting there at 8 MPG.

Anyway, a long-winded way of asking for opinions of RV'ing there, versus a fly/cruise/land excursion.

Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Dave
These are two totally different experiences. A cruise/tour will not be an adequate substitute for driving and spending as much time as possible on the trip and in the state. There is a good case to be made for doing a cruise/tour first and then decide on a drive up in a later year. You will have a better idea of how you want to spend you time up there.

We have not done the Alaska cruise but we did drive up in '08 and will do so again, God willing. Princess cruise line has make a big investment in Alaska touring and operate several lodges.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wanna drive up DW wants to cruise.
So as in all good debates we have now scheduled our trip
Maybe I'll win the next one.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

We flew into Anchorage and rented an RV in Anchorage. We have a 40' Berkshire that we could have driven to Alaska, but we don't have the time necessary to make the trip. We also got a great deal on airfare, $2,400 round trip for four of us, so the cost of getting there was substantially less than what it could have been while driving.

When we were looking into driving up we considered the possibility of driving up and taking the ferry back to either Seattle, Vancouver, or Prince Rupert. This would give us the experience of both the Al Can and the cruise trip. The ferry cost is pretty high when you factor in a 40' rig but it is still something we may do in the future.

Ed
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Just my thought: I don't know your health or age but for me (no spring chicken but in good health) I'd drive now and take the cruise later when/if I get uncomfortable or unable to drive that distance. You are never far from help on a cruise.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My DW did not want to drive(ride) for the time it would take to get to Alaska. We had eariler toured the Canadian national Parks Of Banff and Jasper as well as Calgary etc: so returning was not needed. Our decision was to fly to Alaska's Capitol and use the Ferry system and short hops in small planes once there. The Ferry system has a travel agency that works with it and they can schedule a custom tour or one that they have already together for you! The Ferry system will allow you to travel in a cabin or you can spread out on a deck chair or sleeping bag if that is desirable for you.
You can bring your RV with you onboard if you are willing to pay the price. This would allow you to drive only one direction, or neither if you want to pay the freight both ways.
We found the Ferry travel an interesting alternative and with the chance of meeting new people it was fun as well. The sights out the window or from the decks were the same that you would see from the Cruise lines, and you have the choice as to making it all the way or getting off and taking the next scheduled ship/ferry that stops.
There are also RV rentals available once there that will allow you to cover the State at your speed while there.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

In a few years, after we've moved into a DP we're going to make the drive...the journey is the adventure...right?
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've driven the Al-Can highway several times in a car and while you can go for hours without seeing anything but the countryside, it is spectacular countryside!
Then there is the abundant wildlife, quaint rustic villages and TONS of fresh air. Not boring by any means unless you are expecting a McDonalds and WalMart every few miles.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled form NY west to Glacier Park turned North up the Alaskan Highway and then to Dawson City. Traveled over the Top of The World highway and into Alaska. Did the grand tour with a sightseeing flight and glacier landing in Denali. Fished out of Homer for Halibut. Glacier tour out of Whittier of Prince William Sound. Drove to Valdez and then Haines where we traveled on the Inter Coastal Ferry to Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert. Then down to Seattle through the Columbia River Gorge over to Yellow Stone and headed home. 14K miles and 4 months. You can see our entire trip on our blog RVGR8escape It was a trip of a life time and I want to do it again! This will give some pictures of the trip and some interesting adventures we had.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drive,Drive, Drive.
The trip thru BC and the Yukon is just as great as AK.
We took 6 weeks in Canada and 2 months in AK. We need to do it again to see all we missed the first time.
Just go slow on the Al-Can (they hate that name in Canada). Once in AK all is good.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Expense aside, we drive to the lower 48 rather then fly. We are going to the lower 48 this spring with our turn around being Phoenix. The trip should be about 8500 miles and we are planning about 6 weeks.
There are some real nice areas of Canada to see, along with the wild life along the way. One can see more when traveling in a MH then on the 'packaged' trips. Beside if yu find an area that you want to explore a little more you can with the MH. I like the 'freedom' of not only being able to do what suits me but having my 'own' stuff and bed!
Either way, Alaska is worth exploring
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote