RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Albuquerque to Tampa?

I'm beginning to think about our route from Albuquerque to the Tampa area after the Balloon Festival.
Thinking of I-40 to Memphis, then down through B'ham, Montgomery, etc to I-10 and down.
Or I-40 to Amarillo and cross country to Texarkana, then ease down toward I-10.
I'll want to bypass Dallas.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV

wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I would travel to Santa Rosa, NM to Hwy 84, then to Lubbock, TX. Take Hwy 289 bypass around Lubbock, then pick up Hwy 84 again to I-20 East. From there all the way through DFW on I-20 east. If you travel between the hours of 9am-3pm, you will find it very manageable to travel. I go that way every time, without any problems. With that said, if you arrive during rush hours, then it is a nightmare. I travel to Shreveport, LA to I-220 bypass, then back to I-20 east onto Jackson, MS. From Jackson you can head south to pick I-12 east to I-10 East.

I would not be concerned about DFW area as long as you travel outside the rush hour times. Any city, including Oklahoma City is a nightmare during rush hour. Not to mention all the lane changes.

I would not approach DFW from Hwy 287 from Amarillo, TX. That can be a nightmare at anytime during the day. Not a problem at night, but traffic can really bottleneck on I-35 and I-820. I try to avoid this area, especially during rush hour.

Good luck on your trip, and safe travels.

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

I'll take a look at that route as well.

Thank you for the input.

Wm
Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Do you know anything about 82 from Wichita Falls to Texarkana?

Another option?

Wm
Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

I will be starting a similar trip Tuesday. Starting in Santa Fe, to Roswell to Lemesa to San Angelo to Austin to Houston where I'll pick up I-10 to I-75 to Punta Gorda.

The reason for not taking freeways in most of Texas is that the roads in west Texas are good. I have lived in the TX Panhandle and in Houston.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1995 View Post
I would travel to Santa Rosa, NM to Hwy 84, then to Lubbock, TX. Take Hwy 289 bypass around Lubbock, then pick up Hwy 84 again to I-20 East. From there all the way through DFW on I-20 east. If you travel between the hours of 9am-3pm, you will find it very manageable to travel. I go that way every time, without any problems. With that said, if you arrive during rush hours, then it is a nightmare. I travel to Shreveport, LA to I-220 bypass, then back to I-20 east onto Jackson, MS. From Jackson you can head south to pick I-12 east to I-10 East.

I would not be concerned about DFW area as long as you travel outside the rush hour times. Any city, including Oklahoma City is a nightmare during rush hour. Not to mention all the lane changes.

I would not approach DFW from Hwy 287 from Amarillo, TX. That can be a nightmare at anytime during the day. Not a problem at night, but traffic can really bottleneck on I-35 and I-820. I try to avoid this area, especially during rush hour.

Good luck on your trip, and safe travels.
How about 287 down to Decatur, then 380 East to I-35E down to I-20?
Would that be a better way around DFW?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

I-35E and connect on I-635 down to I-20

Thanks,.

Wm Mayberry
Old 09-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Do you know anything about 82 from Wichita Falls to Texarkana?

Another option?

Wm
Sorry, I have not been across Hwy 82. Most of the Hwy's in Texas are fairly good roads to travel. I'm sure most of it may be 2 lane with passing lanes every so often, with some four lane closer to cities.

I have been from Texarkana to Shreveport. It is now I-49, most of it is complete. There was a short area down by Bossier City that was being completed to exit onto I-220. This was a few years ago, so I'm sure it should be done by now.

I would not take I-35 east. This makes you have to go through the heart of Dallas. I-635 can be busy. I have taken I-635 to I-30, it was a little busy, more than I would have liked. That said It was about 3:30 Pm. If you come in from the north to the DFW area, your going to be in traffic. Plus, there is a lot of construction going on in the northern area.

I-20 skirts the lower part of the two cities. So traffic does not seem to be as bad during non rush hour.

Hwy 82 would be a good choice, that would make you completely miss the DFW area.

I really think you are over thinking the DFW area. I have traveled to Shreveport several times, and always take I-20 straight thru.
I have a 35ft class A, with a toad, and I get around the place without a lot of problems. I do drive about 55 to 60, and keep an eye on my mirror for idiots wanting to ride in the blind spots. I usually pick the center lane, and if any body is in a big hurry, they can go around. No trucks are aloud in the far left lane, so I stay out too. I void the right hand lanes because of all the enter and exit from interstate. In some place it will be 4 to 5 lanes. Watch the signs and pay attention to traffic. Always give yourself plenty of stopping room. If someone jumps in front of me, I back off. I maintain a lot of room. The reason why, other people drive like they are always late, and cause a accident weaving in and out of traffic. This is true for any city!!!!

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
How about 287 down to Decatur, then 380 East to I-35E down to I-20?
Would that be a better way around DFW?
This could work, but timing would be everything!!!! There is some construction going on around that area. From 3-7 pm would be a bad mistake!! Some of the intersections are a little screwed up in my opinion. Just an accident waiting to happen. I was just in that area a few months ago, Came in from Hwy 114 to I-35 south. What a mistake!!! It was about 5:30 pm and it was bumper to bumper, and I was in my wife's Tahoe. Everyone was coming home from working up north of the city. It was kind of funny, the traffic in the North bound lanes were running smooth.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

WMiii,

I agree with Hawkeye. Only change would be taking Hwy 49 from Jackson to Mobile, then east on I-10.

Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex is almost 8 million people. Stay on 20 from Snyder, TX, which stays south of these cities.
(Do NOT take I-35 and I-635 in Texas)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Streetglide
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #11

We take I-40 to Amarillo, 287 to DFW, I-20 to Shreveport, I-49 to Lafayette, I-10 to I-75.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
We take I-40 to Amarillo, 287 to DFW, I-20 to Shreveport, I-49 to Lafayette, I-10 to I-75.

The only part I can respond to is to take I10 to US 19 south. You do have a few small towns but itís an easy drive without highway traffic. All depends on where in Tampa you want to go.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We just came from Denver to central FL. And we went west from mid FL to Albuquerque in April. Here are some thoughts/notes.

I-49 from Shreveport to Texarkana is an awful road. It seems to be a new interstate, it looks good, but the seams in the highway will jar your teeth loose. I complained the whole way; fortunately it's a short section of interstate (relative speaking).

When I got to Texarkan and took 82 through Paris and Sherman I hated that road too! Bumps (they put signs up instead of fixing them), bad road joints, wavy and just plain not on my list again - ever.

On the way back (a few days ago) we tried to avoid DFW by taking 380 from Decatur to Greenville through Denton, and McKiney & down to I-20. BIG MISTAKE - even on a weekend. Traffic, traffic, traffic, and lots of red lights. We ended up getting on 75 south at McKiney and going to 635 to get to 20 and just sort of sucked-it-up with the traffic and wild drivers on the TX interstates. My take away note after that is to avoid DFW and just go east/west on I-40.

So, in the end, I think I'll be using I-40 a lot more, totally missing TX - especially within 100 miles of DFW (which I think is too busy and doesn't have any better roads than any place else). There are a few ways to I-40 from central FL: (1) through Mobile, AL to Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN or northwest through MS & AR; (2) up to Birmingham to Memphis (and if you own a Tiffin you get to stop at Red Bay, AL as a bonus).
Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
The only part I can respond to is to take I10 to US 19 south. You do have a few small towns but itís an easy drive without highway traffic. All depends on where in Tampa you want to go.
We've made that run several times and will probably go down through there this time.
It's just getting to that area.
Wm