Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Red face Allstays??

Hello all,

I have a question for which I am getting mixed signals from the developer. He seems to indicate that it cannot be done, but I find that hard to believe....

Here's the scenario......

We enter a new area of the country. It's getting late so we begin looking for a campground. We are members of Thousand Trails, Encore, Passport America, and Good Sam. We would like full hook ups, and maybe a place to fish since we may be there for awhile. It would also be nice to know if there are any low clearance areas enroute.

Soooooo, we open the Allstays App and enter the filter area. We click on the four memberships we have, also full hookups, and also 11'12' low clearance filter.

We click on search and NOTHING comes up. Not a single campground, nor low clearance areas. From our listings, we know there are at least 15 campgrounds that meet our criteria, but NONE show up on Allstays.

I asked the developer why and he said something like these are all different filter criteria and a single campground would have to meet ALL of the filters to show up. Apparently, you would have to go to Allstays, enter Thousand Trails in the filter section, write down all of the campgrounds, go back into Allstays, list only Passport America, write down all of the campgrounds, go back into Allstays, enter Encore, write down all of the campgrounds, go back into Allstays, enter Good Sam, enter all the campgrounds, go back into Allstays, click on fishing, write down all the campgrounds, go back into Allstays, enter the clearance limits, write all of them down (by the way, it will list the 11-12 clearance sites but nothing lower or higher, go figure), and then you realize that the campgrounds that were listed are ONLY the ones with FULL HOOK UPS because you forgot to clear that from the filter and it will only show campgrounds you asked for that ALSO have full hook ups. Does this seem like a waste of time? Maybe I am doing it wrong and didn't ask the developer the right questions.

Back in the early 80's, we had a computer program called STREET ATLAS that would list everything we asked. For example, we could put in campgrounds within 15 miles of our route, had fishing area, had full hook ups, had no clearance issues less than 12 feet, and cost less than $50 a night. Surely technology hasn't gone backwards, has it?

So, if I am doing something wrong, hopefully someone can set me straight.

Otherwise, it would be easier and quicker to just use the membership books, and Google Maps to plot our own route. What is the advantage of Allstays????

Thanks for this and all the prior help,

Jeff and Diane
Houseless Not Homeless
apopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #2

I'm glad you asked this question, because we're getting ready to travel the country and friends recommended the AllStays app, but the issues/limitations you describe would irritate the hell out of me...
Nevermind, it's iOS only and that would bother me more than any app...
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

I don't use Allstays very much but most searches ares assumed to be "and" conditions.

In RVtripwizard.com you can check off all the membership campgrounds you are interested in and the height of your rig. This product costs $$ and there is no app, just the computer. It works well once you learn its oddities. Probably one of the best routing apps out there right now but has a few rough edges.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
Back in the early 80's, we had a computer program called STREET ATLAS that would list everything we asked. For example, we could put in campgrounds within 15 miles of our route, had fishing area, had full hook ups, had no clearance issues less than 12 feet, and cost less than $50 a night. Surely technology hasn't gone backwards, has it?
We used Street Atlas for 16 full-timing years and traveling constantly. It was an awesome program and you didn't have to have internet to use it. We still have the last edition. It's still usable. Things don't change that much.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

Howdy!

I use Allstays app to locate some RV parks to obtain there gps coordinates then place the coordinates in Co-Pilot gps app. My Co-Pilot app is setup with my truck and RV’s height, weight, length etc... to get me to the location safely.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

I have never used Allstays. I use campgroundreviews.com which is now campgroundreviews.com. You just click on the State and City and it will display all campgrounds in the area with ratings and reviews by people who have actually stayed in them. It does not give trip routes or height info however, just campground reviews. I also use freecampgrounds.net to find city and county campgrounds that are free or low cost. If I am in an area and and looking for a place to stop I use my Garmin 770 RV GPS to find nearby campgrounds. The GPS can be programmed with your RVs height, length etc and will take into consideration that info for low height roads. Also you can perprogram you route in a computer and download it into the GPS however I have never tried to do that.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I don't use Allstays very much but most searches ares assumed to be "and" conditions.

In RVtripwizard.com you can check off all the membership campgrounds you are interested in and the height of your rig. This product costs $$ and there is no app, just the computer. It works well once you learn its oddities. Probably one of the best routing apps out there right now but has a few rough edges.
I agree and therein lies the problem. I made the false assumption that it would look for ANY of the items when in fact they look for ALL of the items. If, for example, a Thousand Trails campground was not also a Passport America, Encore, Good Same, have a 11-12 low clearance and have fishing, it would not be listed.
Oh well.....

Jeff
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use Allstays as my search start when looking for CG’s. I knew it wasn’t showing all when we found ones that never showed on the search, now I know why.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

We used Alstays PRO last year and while it shows lots of information, I couldn't see how to plot a route with it. This year we switched to RVTripWizard and have been very happy with it so far. It is slightly more expensive than Alstays PRO, but worth it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I always use Allstays. But my filter criteria isn't as limited as yours. I like Allstays (which is now owned by RVLife) and it is my primary go-to site for campgrounds (unless on a computer then it's RVParkReviews). Maybe try RVLife. Maybe try RVLife's premium version which allows Affiliations and Big Rig sites. Write them and see what they say, they are very user oriented from what I've seen and welcome input/feedback.

I didn't see a filter for Encore anywhere but may have missed it

If I want a Passport America place I just use the PPA app (their old one that doesn't make you enter different states to find places - geese that's stupid).

If I want to know about low clearances I use that filter by itself on Allstays since, by then, I've selected a campground I have in mind. Not sure why I'd be searching routes and campgrounds not having made one of those decisions first.

yea - sometimes it takes multiple searches and different searches to find everything I need. I haven't found one end-all / be-all app or site.

I tried RVWiz; not a fan of it; not sure why not; just never did "float my boat". Waiting to see what GoodSam comes up with in their new app but have never been too keen on their app.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I always use Allstays. But my filter criteria isn't as limited as yours. I like Allstays (which is now owned by RVLife) and it is my primary go-to site for campgrounds (unless on a computer then it's RVParkReviews). Maybe try RVLife. Maybe try RVLife's premium version which allows Affiliations and Big Rig sites. Write them and see what they say, they are very user oriented from what I've seen and welcome input/feedback.

I didn't see a filter for Encore anywhere but may have missed it

If I want a Passport America place I just use the PPA app (their old one that doesn't make you enter different states to find places - geese that's stupid).

If I want to know about low clearances I use that filter by itself on Allstays since, by then, I've selected a campground I have in mind. Not sure why I'd be searching routes and campgrounds not having made one of those decisions first.

yea - sometimes it takes multiple searches and different searches to find everything I need. I haven't found one end-all / be-all app or site.

I tried RVWiz; not a fan of it; not sure why not; just never did "float my boat". Waiting to see what GoodSam comes up with in their new app but have never been too keen on their app.
I was using the ENCORE campgrounds as an example. The point I was making is exactly why I found ALLSTAYS useless. Your comment "Not sure why I'd be searching routes and campgrounds not having made one of those decisions first" shows my point perfectly. If I do not know the area I will be heading too and not even having an agenda, I could not make a pre-planned decision. I go to Trip Wizard to show my my options and THEN I decide where I'll stay. I would have no way of knowing ahead of time where I'll be for the night, hence no way to pick a campground ahead of time. And as far as "checking for low clearance" and then going back in to find a campground, and then go back in to find another campground, and then go back in and find another campground.... well, you get the picture. I can go to Trip Wizard and list my filters and then pick what I want without all the in and outs. This seems to be the MAJOR complaint users have of ALLSTAYS, how cumbesome it is to use effectively. But to each his own and if someone likes ALLSTAYS, I suggest they stick with it....

Dr. J
Old 09-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I like RVParky.com as it will show low clearance along a route but it shows more Private CGs. We like Public CGs better and Campendium does a better job finding them.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote