Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Alpine, TX in March 2016

We will be returning from Arizona in March and are thinking of stopping in Alpine Tx for a few days to see some of the Big Bend National Park. We are trying to determine the best route coming east on I-10. It looks like US 90 would be the direct route but does any one have any information on US 90 or would it be better to go to Fort Stockton and then head south on US 67 to Alpine. Any information on these routes would be appreciated. We have a 45' coach towing a 1500 pickup.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
We will be returning from Arizona in March and are thinking of stopping in Alpine Tx for a few days to see some of the Big Bend National Park. We are trying to determine the best route coming east on I-10. It looks like US 90 would be the direct route but does any one have any information on US 90 or would it be better to go to Fort Stockton and then head south on US 67 to Alpine. Any information on these routes would be appreciated. We have a 45' coach towing a 1500 pickup.
Thanks

While in that general area, be sure to have a meal at the "Cattleman's Steakhouse". It's east of El Paso on I10 and on a working ranch. They allow overnight parking in their lot. Said to be one of the greatest steaks in the country.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TX 17 out of Balmorhea is not a bad road. It has 2 great sate parks and Fort Davis on it. Balmorhea and Davis Mountain SP were built by the CCC and are well worth a visit. there is an observatory on Mt Davis, and Fort Davis helped tame the wild west.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Since your plans include exploring the Big Bend area I highly recommend the Maverick RV Ranch in Lajitas which is south of Alpine and very near BBNP, Big Bend Ranch State Park, the Rio Grande and some breathtaking scenery. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your travels!

PS. Be prepared if the weather isn't what you expected. The pic is from early March last year taken on the highway headed south from Alpine to Lajitas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2857.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	113932  
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Instead of Alpine I'd stay at Davis Mountain State Park. Your MH would fit. It a gorgeous area and the nearby observatory is wonderful for a night star party. Then drive to Big Bend Nat'l Park and stay at Rio Grande Village RV - full hookups right in the park in a beautiful section of the park. Staying in Alpine is a long drive into Big Bend and you'll want to stay more than a few hours.

Hwy 90 is an excellent road. From AZ take I-10 to Hwy 90 then Hwy 17 to Fort Davis. Then leave Fort Davis via 118 to Hwy 90 and take 118 or 385 into Big Bend and Rio Grande Village. . . all good roads with an RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Since your plans include exploring the Big Bend area I highly recommend the Maverick RV Ranch in Lajitas which is south of Alpine and very near BBNP, Big Bend Ranch State Park, the Rio Grande and some breathtaking scenery. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your travels!

PS. Be prepared if the weather isn't what you expected. The pic is from early March last year taken on the highway headed south from Alpine to Lajitas!
X2, 4 weeks ago we stayed at Maverick Ranch and had a beautiful view from our site. Short drive to BBNP but it is a huge park so plan plenty of time to drive the great roads and explore.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Thunderfoot what was the temperature when y'all were traveling with the snow on the road. Did you spend much time Dow there and what was the temp while there. DW is having second thoughts with the snow. She doesn't do cold temps very well. If you don't mind what dates were you there. Thanks for the information.
Harry
Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Thunderfoot what was the temperature when y'all were traveling with the snow on the road. Did you spend much time Dow there and what was the temp while there. DW is having second thoughts with the snow. She doesn't do cold temps very well. If you don't mind what dates were you there. Thanks for the information.
Harry
Sorry Harry, I just saw your question. We were in the Big Bend area from Feb 23-March 5th of this year... I misspoke in my original post when I said "last year". The snow pic was taken on 3-5 near the Alpine area and it was the only cold day of the trip. In Lajitas, temps were generally in the 60's-70's during the day and 40's at nite. The temperatures in Alpine are typically a few degrees colder with freezing temps possible from November to late March. The storm that brought the snow was unexpected.... but that's Texas weather!

I've attached a couple of pics from the same trip so your DW can see what the majority of the weather was like. You won't regret visiting this area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150302_165144.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	114314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150303_133508.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	114315  

Name:	20150304_123442.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	114316   Click image for larger version

Name:	10541863_10204065015412218_7226241373354286106_n.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	114317  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Sorry Harry, I just saw your question. We were in the Big Bend area from Feb 23-March 5th of this year... I misspoke in my original post when I said "last year". The snow pic was taken on 3-5 near the Alpine area and it was the only cold day of the trip.
It also snowed there right before Valentine's Day, too. A friend of mine had a very late arrival in Lajitas because he was driving behind the snowplow.

But generally, it's not cold. We were at a mountainbike fest that weekend and it was real pleasant for riding after that first cold day.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote