Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Amarillo to Chama,NM

Planning a trip in May that will take me to Chama and beyond. Just need some advice on the best route from Amarillo Tx to Chama NM. Looks like I will go to Clayton then 56/412 over to Springer at the intersection of I 25. Get on I 25 for a very short distance and then West on Hwy. 58 over to its intersection with Hwy. 64. Then take 64 all the way thru Taos and on to Chama. Never been thru that route and just wondering if thats the best route in your opinion or do you have other ideas? I will be pulling a 35 ft. 5th wheel and would appreciate any info and tips from someone who knows these roads and what I can expect as far as grades and curves. Someone said getting thru Taos was kinda narrow or a little crowded. THANKS A BUNCH.
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I 40 to US 285 and then north is a few hours and 16 miles shorter. From MS Streets and Trips.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Suggest I-40 West to Clines Corners US 285 North to I-25 South. Exit in Santa Fe, St Francis Drive North, US 285/84 through Santa Fe to Espanola. Follow 285/84 over the Rio Grande. Just north of Espanola, stay on 84 to Chama. You will encounter city traffic from Santa Fe to Espanola. Springer to Taos to Chama crosses several passes and is winding.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Titleman

The information that rivolivia gave you is the rout that my wife and took two years ago good roads.

I would like to make a subjection about a campground to stay in if you do stop in Chama we were just passing thru but wound up staying 30 days at the (Rio Chama RV Park http://www.riochamarv.com/)
and you must ride the train (Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad http://cumbrestoltec.com/history/)
the best trip is Chama to Antonito by motor coach; return by train.

We are planning another trip to Chama this June by the way if you are there July 4 the hole town has the best fire works show I have every seen.

Have fun and be safe.

If it is ok I would like to ask if any one has taken the rout that you ask about (Hwy. 64. Then take 64 all the way thru Taos and on to Chama) if the roads are good I my like to take it. We will be pulling a 34' 5 wheel also.

We will be starting our trip from Trussville Alabama it is along way to Chama.

Chuck Clark Quote

"Three Fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and One Fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

--- Chuck Clark ---
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote