Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #1

Another 1st timer to Black Hills, YS, Tetons, etc.

I'm pulling a 34 ft 5er with a 3500 Diesel....

Am starting to plan my route so may have other questions. But first one is ..have any of you taken US 18 from the intersection of US85 and US18 near Edgemont, SD to 79 and then on North to Rapid City, SD? Am primarily interested in the steepness of the mtns, etc on US 18.

Will then spend a little time in Deadfish, etc. and then on to YS and surrounding area. This may seem obvious, but is it the norm to find a good "base" park for several days and then take day trips around YS, and the area, until heading down to the Tetons?

My questions have probably been asked many times, but am always interested in folks views.

I appreciate any input....

Fool

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

There is only one long hill on 18, it won't be any problem with your set up.

I believe you mean Deadwood?

When ever we've gone to YS we always set up in one spot and explore the whole park from there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
US 18 to SD 79 is actually south of the Black Hills and then skirts it to the east up to I 90. A pretty boring trip in my mind, but I like scenery when I'm traveling. Not much in the way of hills, but you'll be wide open to winds on a lot of that route.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

I am still smiling over Deadfish ...

Deadwood and Spearfish ...

The Blackhills is one of our favorite spots ... we really enjoying to the night lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore ... and driving out to the Bison herd ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

Oops !!! I have to laugh too.....Got my town's a little confused....And now I know why my DW questions my directions some times !!! ha Maybe I shouldn't get too far from home !!!

Thanks for the info.....
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

There are only *hills* in the Black Hills ... you will encounter *mountains* as you travel from there to Yellowstone.

I suggest you order the book Mountain West Directory for Trucks & RVs ... it is available from Amazon or the publisher.

I ordered mine one year too late ... I survived but there was a lot of frustration for a morning .. I now consult it when planning routes.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

We spent 5 days at Hermosa[half price passport], and 3 days in Deadwood [another half price park], and we drove everywhere, leaving the camper parked. Should have stayed longer in "the hills", Deadwood is all about gambling now. Not much else.
Spearfish canyon is a wonderful drive, as are all the "loops" in the "hills". As said, the route to Yellowstone will be steep and winding in places. You will go over the "continental divide". But it is worth it. Just take your time.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
You will go over the "continental divide". But it is worth it. Just take your time.
Actually the E-W Continental Divide isn't encountered until you get into Yellowstone.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

If you are taking I-90 west out of the Black Hills, then you should exit at Buffalo and take Hwy 16 west to Worland/Greybull...then go west on Hwy 14 to Cody and the east Yellowstone entrance. You will still have a long pull over the Bighorns but the southern route is better than Hwy 14 to the north. The northeast entrance to Yellowstone is really not for RVs.

Read this article...lots of good info:

Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and the Beartooths
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Thanks All......very much appreciated. I welcome any more insights. Any problems with locating diesel fuel along these routes....preferably 5% bio-fuel or less?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Thanks All......very much appreciated. I welcome any more insights. Any problems with locating diesel fuel along these routes....preferably 5% bio-fuel or less?
Actually diesel is easier to find in the west because of all the 'Wyoming Cadillacs' (4 X 4 diesel pick-ups) The distances between stations is greater, so don't get it too needy.

Bob & Donna