Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Any advice on first trip

Hi everyone. I was hoping to see if anyone has any good advice or tips before our first journey. We will be leaving from colorado with destination of Philadelphia. We will be traveling about 300 miles a day and staying in campgrounds or friends and families driveways along the way. It will be my wife, 2.5 year old and 5 month old sons and myself of course. We will be driving our 89 26 ft fleetwood class C. It is in great shape inside and out with only 40k miles on her. I have done all routine maintenance on it and replaced all belts and cooling parts on it for peace of mind. We will spend about 9-10 days in the Philly area then spend about a week traveling back to colorado. I am looking for any tips or advice that isn't the obvious that I cant find on any rv trip list on the internet. Any good places along the way that my kid may enjoy or can't miss campgrounds along I-70 or I-80.
Thanks
Pete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

300 miles a day with small children sounds tough. That being said don't drive too fast, enjoy the scenery a little and plan for unexpected repairs. You never know with a 1989 rv.

missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

If it were me I'd stay a few nights in the RV somewhere close to home prior to heading out on a long trip. It will give you a chance to find things that are not working in the RV and also figure out things you need that not might occur to you until you are living in it. 300 miles a day might be a little ambitious the first time out, especially with the children. It will take a while to figure out the most efficient way to to set up/brake down the RV every day. I would not plan on everything going right and build some extra time into your schedule. Maybe everything will go according to plan but that's not the way it works in my world. If you have already made plans & commitments then that may not be an option. Have fun.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I should've been a little clearer in my post and said this is our first long trip. We've taken It out for 3 weekends over the summer and I've now repaired everything that wasn't working exactly as it should(furnace, generator, and fridge. I will certainly bring all the tools I would need to do most repairs myself. I work on machines for a living and don't hesitate to turn a wrench. The 300 miles a day is definitely tentative as well. We didn't make any reservations that would require us to be anywhere at a certain time. I just figured it would give us a goal to shoot for.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Take:

1. 2X as much money as you think you will need.

2. 1/2 as many clothes as you think you will need.

3. A notebook to write down ideas for the next long trip.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Make sure your tires are not too old, may look good, but if over 7 years old you may want to have them check out, or replaced.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the return portion you are getting into the late part of the camping season so I would call ahead to make sure the campground you want to stay at is still open.

Build some slack time into your schedule to cover any unexpected delays such as RV problems, storms, etc.

Coming from Colorado you are certainly familiar with storm delays!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
On the return portion you are getting into the late part of the camping season so I would call ahead to make sure the campground you want to stay at is still open. Build some slack time into your schedule to cover any unexpected delays such as RV problems, storms, etc. Coming from Colorado you are certainly familiar with storm delays!!!
That is all too true. Last time I made that pilgramage we ending up spending New Year's Eve in some tiny town cause I-70 was closed for almost 2 days due to a snow storm.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Don't, No Matter what Don't be in a hurry. You might want to break up the trip into a 2.5 day, In other words spend a night X2 and show up in philly on 3rd day. Play it safe, allow lots of time for your first trip. Double and triple check them tires, their the ones that will be doing all the work. Bottom line, Have a Safe and fun time!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

I'm not in a rush. I was planning on spending 5-6nights on the road not 2.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #11

If you can, swing north on your way back see the Finger Lakes region of New York and spend at least one full day at Letchworth State Park, it is truly spectacular.
A 300 mile day is certainly doable, seven plus hours on the road. On the road about 9:00 am and at the next stop before dinner. Good for getting through an area where there might not be much to see. I've done that lots of times but never two days in a row; I'm old.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote