Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
I am lloking at my map and need info on this road please. I am going to be leaving Anderson SC on I-85East then taking sc hwy 11 N , then hwy 76 at westminster SC to US 441 N at clayton NC. would this route (all tho short) be good traveling for a ton truck and 33 ft fifthwheel? thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I am lloking at my map and need info on this road please. I am going to be leaving Anderson SC on I-85East then taking sc hwy 11 N , then hwy 76 at westminster SC to US 441 N at clayton NC. would this route (all tho short) be good traveling for a ton truck and 33 ft fifthwheel? thanks

Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Tom and Nancy,

Although I don't take US 76, I've taken SC Route 11 from I-85 to US 25 many times with my 5th wheel in tow. It's not a bad way to go, two lane rural country roads. SC Route 11 is called Cherokee Foothills Parkway and is a scenic highway.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to take US 76 if I needed to go that way.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
thanks Richard for the information, WE travel mostly U.S. and state hwys, rather then interstates, we in no hurry, lol, and enjoy the drive and see lots more places of interest. I also see i made a mistake in my orignal post, i meant clayton ga, not nc lol. as I said to someone before I been too many places Too many Indian trails lmao!! thanks again Richard
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #5

We used to live there. I used to drive from almost out at Fair Play (near I-85), West Union and Westminster up to Franklin, NC (US 441) and back at least once a month (my parents live in Franklin). Road is good all the way. Limited passing lanes will cause some folks to pass in bad places. The bridge over the river IS A PASSING LANE!!! Weird huh? But it's one of the few straight places on the road. But still not too curvy. Watch the speed limits on Hwy 76. There is an SC cop out there on that stretch that will get you.

BTW, if you are planning on taking Hwy 76 on over towards Dalton, then you want to turn right when you get to 441, get in the lefthand lane and turn left at the next light (Dairy Queen is on the corner) to stay on Hwy 76. Racetrac (left on Hwy 441 on east side of 441... don't take the turn off to Racetrac from Hwy 76 as its VERY steep and has big speed bumps on that side) has the cheapest gas as the farther west you go the higher the price gets. I used to take Hwy 76 to go to Chattanooga/Whitwell (former home) about twice a month for several years.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
thanks alot Lorna, I appreaciate your info. We are in fla right now and going to be working our way up to savanna, then to hart lake at anderson, then wanting to get to moccasin creek state park in ga. then 441 to dillsboro, then over to waynesville nc. I have travel 441 to dillsboro and 19/74 to waynesville, but was looking at a route from anderson over to moccasin creek. so you used to live in Whitwell? I work the Ketners Mill Country Fair there every oct for last 12 yrs. thanks again
Old 01-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #7

You will take the left at the Clayton Dairy Queen. Go a few miles, over a bridge, Sign for Moccasin Creek & Helen Ga (also Unicoi SP, I think) Turn Lft. Moccasin Creek is on the left side of the road in a deep curve. The campground sits right on the road and has a hatchery next door to it. Nice Clean well kept up campground. Very busy in the summer, not so much in the winter.